Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Career Penguins

Iun

So, I am currently the Director of English Studies at this here school. My remit is all the TEFL and International Teaching here. I am also a teacher here.

I get to work most days at 9 and start my lessons at 10, finish at 11.40. I then do planning, meetings with my staff etc until I leave at about 2.30. For this I am paid well.

The problems is that the school is small, badly organised (my department is not) and generally lacking direction. Also, I have gone two years without a payrise. And it's quite far from my home, too.

I have been offered a job at a school with a great reputation, bigger than this one and with more children. It has an ALP and the money is better than now. Plus it's very close. The pay is better, but in total only adds up to my current salary plus my private jobs. Which is good, because I hate a lot of my private work.

The issues are: I would have to 8.30 to 5pm it - which would be ok, but for my private works that I do from about 4pm most days. From 9-3pm no break time as you're with the children the whole time.

The biggest issue, is that it would be a step backwards: I'd be a teacher with no responsibility for the rest of the school, only my class. Which would take the pressure off, but it doesn't seem a good career move. Or does it?

Your thoughts...?

Hmm that's a tough one Iun but here are my thoughts on taking the new job in bulleted form...

Pros

Better Pay

Less Travel Time

Less / No Private Work

Less Stress / Pressure

Cons

Longer Hours

Less Responsibility (initially)

The pros would seem to outweight the cons but only you know for sure Iun, I hope this helps though. :)

Interesting predicament Iun. As a qualified careers advisor I'll give you some of the usual banter I have with adult clients. It may help you.

Scale it 1-10. Draw a line and put where you think your current career puts you. It won't be a ten otherwise you wouldn't be considering a move. You've already given reasons to move away (distance, school being badly organised) so give it a mark. Now you have to think how would you increase that mark. But only by 1 or 2 points (don't try to make it a 10/10 if, say you put a 3. (This is a good tool to ensure clarification of making smaller steps to achieve bigger, long-term successes.)

I would say that from your post you enjoy the responsibilities you currently have and see them as an integral, rewarding part of your current job. (Perhaps the most important part of it). I'm also going out on a limb here and thinking that the schools badly organised setup wouldn't matter as much if you were getting the financial reward that you feel your job is worth.

If money matters you should tell your current employer that you are thinking about going for another job (better paid) as you haven't seen a payrise in your current role.

A good thing to do is research your job role and look around and see what others in similar positions are getting before showing this to your current employer.

If you DO decide to apply for the other job (which I would recommend) you can always turn it down in the end (if your current employer offers you more money) AND you can spell out in the interview your current responsibilities (over department/tefl) and how you see that as an integral part of your working life and something you feel you could bring their school.

Hope this helps. Feel free to PM me if you would like anymore information.

The thing is, I've been offered the other job, they called this morning - I only had the interview late Friday.

My thought is this makes sense from a money perspective, and also the pre-established reputation of the school.

But what if I don't get on with their style of teaching and approach? I'm buying a house now and getting married on Friday, what happens if things don't work out?

Also, as you said Tapedeck, the position I'm in is a good one from the perspective of my career.

The thing is, I've been offered the other job, they called this morning - I only had the interview late Friday.

My thought is this makes sense from a money perspective, and also the pre-established reputation of the school.

But what if I don't get on with their style of teaching and approach? I'm buying a house now and getting married on Friday, what happens if things don't work out?

Also, as you said Tapedeck, the position I'm in is a good one from the perspective of my career.

the school may be a more flexible/adaptive one in style too. they have picked you as you can offer them sonething and obv. appear to fit into their teaching style/ staff. your second guessing is just a natural reaction to protect what you currently have.

one thing I would say is that we don't regret the things we do, just the things we don't.

best of luck!

You say the new job is a decrease in responsibility, a step backwards. But that doesn't mean there will be an opportunity for promotion in the future. You've been at your current job long enough to know something isn't coming [?]

The question is expansion. I'm the head of the international track and standard TEFL programme as well. But the International Track is just 2 more foreigners and I do all the TEFL as well as my own classes. The boss wants to expand, but he has given no outline or timeframe.

the school may be a more flexible/adaptive one in style too. they have picked you as you can offer them sonething and obv. appear to fit into their teaching style/ staff. your second guessing is just a natural reaction to protect what you currently have.

one thing I would say is that we don't regret the things we do, just the things we don't.

best of luck!

True enough, but I took a consulting role with a view to quitting my current job last year... I came within a hair's breadth of making a VERY big mistake by signing a full contract with that school. Badly run, slovenly teaching and just no respect from the parents.

The question is expansion. I'm the head of the international track and standard TEFL programme as well. But the International Track is just 2 more foreigners and I do all the TEFL as well as my own classes. The boss wants to expand, but he has given no outline or timeframe.

But d'ya think there might also be something more at this new job?

What I don't understand is your focus on the career aspect. What exactly do you mean by this? If you get fewer responsibilities with a higher pay, isn't that a win-win situation for you? Or is the reverence of the job important to you? Please elaborate on this career aspect you're talking about.

Basically, there's only so much you can earn as a TEFL or Classroom teacher. Also, the higher the post the better potential for future moves you have. I'm a manager now and the next move I make should be either sideways with more pay or a move up. It's a question of pay, work level, challenge and respect. China is a little hierarchical when it comes to positions, and the treatment you get.

Plus it's basic workplace sense. In 20 years time I don't want to be spending all day in a classroom: I want to be spending time in an office, supervising teaching and warming my ass on a more comfortable chair. Plus I will have a wife to support from this Friday and the potential family that ensues. Though we pretty much decided kids are not on the cards at all. But a nice house is.

But d'ya think there might also be something more at this new job?

Realistically speaking, they have 2 campuses and are opening another, so the potential is there for better things. But here we are also looking to expand the current site, thing is, they won't increase my pay or let me hire more people until we get to a certain quota of students - and there are no guarantees that will happen with the September intake.

I say move. It sounds like your job atm is stagnating- you should move and work towards a promotion there.

True enough, but the current lady in charge has been there for 10 years with no signs or urge of moving. It's "Dead Man's Boots" as they say. I'm worried about walking into a high-paid dead end.

Seems to me like you're not completely happy in your current job and this new one is tempting you even though it's not quite what you want/need.

Personally I think it would be a mistake to take the step down for more money, you have great experience from your current post so why not apply for other positions that can give you the new environment/extra salary but also keeping you moving up the ladder?

Seems to me like you're not completely happy in your current job and this new one is tempting you even though it's not quite what you want/need.

Personally I think it would be a mistake to take the step down for more money' date=' you have great experience from your current post so why not apply for other positions that can give you the new environment/extra salary but also keeping you moving up the ladder?[/quote']

Man talks sense. Plus my discussion with the Chairman bore unexpected fruit: he will increase my money, probably higher than the other school - definitely the same, plus other benefits.

I'm in a bind still.

This other place has a pre-established reputation, whereas my place is getting started - it's down to me to help make it successful. Which is good, but if the other departments are not up to scratch, then I can only do so much.

All right, so the hierarchy thing is different in China. It's prefectly fine that you want to move higher up, I just got the impression it was born from some elitist attitude. :)

I'm afraid I won't be of much help. While we can give you advice, in the end you're the one to make the decision. I can only show you the door, Neo. It's up to you to walk through it.