N-Europe

Windows 7

fex

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Couldn't you just have backed up the games folders? I know I could do that with CoH to skip the long updates.

Maybe. I'm not sure if it has the same effect as a clean install or not, but I have done it in the past. Trying to go with the squeaky clean system here though, even the HDD is new and unused (i was hoping for an SSD deal, but they've actually gone up in price :().

Maybe. I'm not sure if it has the same effect as a clean install or not, but I have done it in the past. Trying to go with the squeaky clean system here though, even the HDD is new and unused (i was hoping for an SSD deal, but they've actually gone up in price :().

Is it worth getting an SSD?

Edited by The Lillster

Agreed on the Steam factor, that's going to be a real nightmare. I installed Team Fortress 2 last week and it took about 8 hours to grab the updates for just that single game! Also, the thought of having to tackle the nightmare Empire: Total War install is not making me smile, it took 3 days to get it working last time :(

Steam offers a backup option of the games you have installed, including all the updates I think.

Not an external HDD but say secondary 500GB internal Sata drive.

But then wouldn't that cause problems with program files, because it would no longer be on the C:\ drive? or would you keep program files and games etc... on there too?

I didn't think you could install 2 internal drives?

You can have as many internal drives as you can fit. My motherboard has about 10 SATA sockets. Most of the time you can install things to any location, although often in Windows it will force certain aspects to be on your main drive. And in regards to your other question: yes, yes I did.

You can have as many internal drives as you can fit. My motherboard has about 10 SATA sockets. Most of the time you can install things to any location, although often in Windows it will force certain aspects to be on your main drive. And in regards to your other question: yes, yes I did.

Cool, I was searching though some private messages on a site I used to visit and I noticed I had an n-gamer email address. I couldn't remember why I had the address though, I had a look on the website via wayback machine and as I was checking out the staff on there I noticed your name.

Small world.

What happened to that site btw?

To keep this on topic: Man SSD drives are expensive!

Yeah SSD's are pretty damn expensive at the moment, but eventually that technology will be more affordable. Things just eventually be comes easier to produce and market competition will help drive prices down quite quickly. Its not say as bad as this:

hard-drive-awesome.jpg

Of course back then that was merely a dream for many people. 10 whole MB of storage. Something you could only dream of.

Anyway another little app / service to help aid in the win 7 move for some: Ninite

Yeah SSD's are pretty damn expensive at the moment, but eventually that technology will be more affordable. Things just eventually be comes easier to produce and market competition will help drive prices down quite quickly. Its not say as bad as this:

hard-drive-awesome.jpg

Of course back then that was merely a dream for many people. 10 whole MB of storage. Something you could only dream of.

Anyway another little app / service to help aid in the win 7 move for some: Ninite

to think a thousand of those would easily (and more) fit on a little usb flash device. Amazing. :D Nice find.

Got Windows 7 installed. Current thoughts of it: Excellent. It is 10x better than Vista ever was. Sure was glad to purchase this for the bargain price that i did.

Quick question: Is there a way to have a Gadget Toolbar like there was on Vista. Can't find an option for it. I know there is a Desktop Gadget option, is that the one i am looking for??

What happened to that site btw?

It just kind of fizzled out, I used to write reviews there, even got a couple of games sent to me for free as a reviewer. XIII, Soul Calibur and Tony Hawks 4 iirc. GKB used to be a member on here but he didn't move over when we changed forum software. pdhq64 who also worked on the coding of the site is still a member here although he doesn't post. He's a mobile developer now, makes iPhone apps amongst other things. jayseven was staff too

:)

Is it worth getting an SSD?

I think so, yes. The performance of a good one is quite a lot better than a mechanical drive The new Crucial ones were around £100 at launch, wish i'd bought one now because they're £140+ now! :( I was expecting prices to fall (or at least stay stagnant), not rise!

Steam offers a backup option of the games you have installed, including all the updates I think.

Oooh! I'll look in to that! Cheers :)

I've just started running Windows 7, and I must say, it's very pretty. :awesome:

It was free, too (cheers, Uni), which is nice.

I miss those days..... :cry:

And of all the people I know attending uni they're all doing something useless like art and fashion. Good luck finding a job with that on the other side.

I miss those days..... :cry:

And of all the people I know attending uni they're all doing something useless like art and fashion. Good luck finding a job with that on the other side.

Civil Engineering for the win! :)

Ok, having access to Windows 7 isn't essential (unlike, say, AutoCAD), but I'm the same faculty as, amongst other things, computing, so I'm covered!

Oh, and as for the job-prospects, there are never enough civil engineers to go around...

Well I'm off sick today, so I thought what else can I do but sit in bed and feel sorry for myself. Sit in front of my computer and feel sorry for myself. Win 7 looks very pretty, love the aero stuff. getting my Experience index score now. Which will be some what more useful than Vista's 5.9 upper limit.

Edit: Annnnnnndddddddd she's a 5.9!

All the technologimagical beauty of the future is let down by my HDD. Everything else is 7.1 and 6.8 fail. Might need to get myself one of those SSD's I started a buzz about. Practice what you preach.

Edited by Ten10

Well I'm off sick today, so I thought what else can I do but sit in bed and feel sorry for myself. Sit in front of my computer and feel sorry for myself. Win 7 looks very pretty, love the aero stuff. getting my Experience index score now. Which will be some what more useful than Vista's 5.9 upper limit.

Mine wouldn't go higher than 5.9 on W7, although I'm still using the release candidate 7100.

Forgot to format my hard drive so I had 80 gig of unaccounted for space missing. So installing windows 7 again this time correctly. And I'm glad I did. Footprint went down to just 14GB which is correct for win 7 64.

Edited by Ten10