Slim Browser

Avant Browser

Flock

Maxthon

K-Meleon

Sleipnir

AOL

Not that it matters to anyone here.

I might decide to set IE to my default in hopes of seeing this popup. However this whole fiasco will do nothing for Opera's market share, and will only prove that they have done a good job of wasting time. Also you forgot to mention it will be randomized. But I think so many people are used to IE that they will probably stick with what they know.

My g/f's Mum is with AOL D:

I offered... offered to pick a nice new ISP. To get rid of the 35 toolbars. To install a good browser. I offered, I tried.

My g/f's Mum is with AOL D:

I offered... offered to pick a nice new ISP. To get rid of the 35 toolbars. To install a good browser. I offered, I tried.

If at first you fail. Try, try and try again.

Maybe I should just break in at night, steal the computer, then return in the next day with Windows 7, Chrome and Talk Talk internet.

AOL customers don't need to use the AOL software anymore, they finally entered the 21st century. Been with them for years and haven't had to put up with their lousy software on my last 3 computers. I can't believe people still use it! Tell them it's a security risk or something :p

AOL customers don't need to use the AOL software anymore, they finally entered the 21st century. Been with them for years and haven't had to put up with their lousy software on my last 3 computers. I can't believe people still use it! Tell them it's a security risk or something :p

Agreed - the last bit is actually a very good idea! It's kinda scary that you can trick "computer n00bs" into believing everything is a security risk, when they are probably doing worse and thinking its safe!!

AOL actually aren't bad now..

In about 2001, when we first got broadband and they had no support for routers, just a plug in modem, AOL's software. Then they decided not to give us the mac address when we wanted to move. Stuck with dial up for a YEAR. (in the days when it wasn't a legal obligation)

Granted they have a lot of stigma from days gone.

AOL as a whole is a huge problem. As Raining mentioned, they don't give the mac address out to the customer when they decide to move. All they want is for you to remain with them on a permanent basis. My mate had a problem with AOL when he decided to leave them. They wouldn't give him any help or advice except "come back to us, we are cheap".

People who use AOL or Internet Explorer with Norton with a Windows PC deserve what they get to be honest.

AOL as a whole is a huge problem. As Raining mentioned, they don't give the mac address out to the customer when they decide to move. All they want is for you to remain with them on a permanent basis. My mate had a problem with AOL when he decided to leave them. They wouldn't give him any help or advice except "come back to us, we are cheap".

People who use AOL or Internet Explorer with Norton with a Windows PC deserve what they get to be honest.

well they actually have to give you it by law now, my experience was in 2003ish, when it wasn't a legal requirement (the technology was pretty new to the consumer market!)

We were kinda stuck in a loop between BT wholesale, Pipex (who we wanted to move TO) and AOL. None of them could decide who was to blame and they somehow couldn't connect us. Hours and hours of calls and a year later... :angry:

well they actually have to give you it by law now, my experience was in 2003ish, when it wasn't a legal requirement (the technology was pretty new to the consumer market!)

We were kinda stuck in a loop between BT wholesale, Pipex (who we wanted to move TO) and AOL. None of them could decide who was to blame and they somehow couldn't connect us. Hours and hours of calls and a year later... :angry:

I suppose if you threatened legal action, it may result in quicker service.

I'm thinking of going to 64bit Windows 7. Have i got to do a clean install, or can i upgrade to it??. I've got Windows 7 disks for 32bit and 64bit already (came back in October)

Edited by Jimbob

Clean install only, but will be worth it. Just make sure you back up and format otherwise your 32 bit install will still be on the HDD in a windows.old folder wasting precious space.

Clean install only, but will be worth it. Just make sure you back up and format otherwise your 32 bit install will still be on the HDD in a windows.old folder wasting precious space.

Cheers for that. I may do this later, if i can be bothered today. If not, then tomorrow.

I would like to install windows 7 64 bit on my Acer today but I worried about functionality, drivers for printers, adobe and CAD programs not working.

Should I wait a while?

I would like to install windows 7 64 bit on my Acer today but I worried about functionality, drivers for printers, adobe and CAD programs not working.

Should I wait a while?

Install the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor and it'll tell you what drivers need upgrading. Make sure to select the 64 bit tab.

Like others have said AOL (or is it Aol. now?) isn't that bad anymore, I mean obviously there are better out there, but it's not horrendous.

I'm sure their customer service still has a lot left to be desired though. But it helped us 'cos when we wanted to leave they cut our price to something rediculously cheap + free calls :D

Their service may be good but I'd be surprised if their browser isn't still terrible.

Their service may be good but I'd be surprised if their browser isn't still terrible.

I'm not even going to risk testing the browser.

Just a quick update to say that Microsoft has started pushing out the browser ballot update to Windows users within the EEC.

Whether or not this makes a difference to browser market share remains to be seen. Especially for the browser maker Opera who started of this whole enquiry.

(Must say I tried out their latest beta. Don't know what the heck they've done, but in some areas it tramples over chrome)

My Windows 7 trial is running out. I need to buy it. But what do I do? How do I backup? THese are stupid questions, I know.

Backup just by copying your important stuff over to a USB hard drive or (series of) DVD(s).

Backup just by copying your important stuff over to a USB hard drive or (series of) DVD(s).

Cool, cheers dude.

Will it save programmes I've downloaded?

No, I'm pretty sure you can't update from the release candidate to a full version without a complete wipe, although I could be wrong. A completely new installation means you will lose absolutely everything. That means things you want to backup might include save games, bookmarks, music playlists etc..