N-Europe

Red Faction: Guerilla

Aimless

The year is 2208. With the Earth crippled by a lack of natural resources, Mars has become an all important source of metal and minerals. In a pioneering cost saving measure the EDF have mandated that all Martian structures be constructed from an alternative building material: Jacob's crackers.

Yes, the demo's out for Red Faction: Guerilla if you're prepared to take 5 minutes signing up to THQ's website. It comes in both PS3 and 360 flavours and weighs in at around 700MB.

As you're probably aware, the destruction you can wreak upon the areas in this game is unprecedented. And a bit silly looking. But hey, however ridiculous pistol whipping a concrete wall to rubble may be, at least it lends itself well to — try not to wince — emergent gameplay. And let's be honest, blowing things up is always fun, especially in open-world games with enemies to collapse buildings, bridges and signs on.

Anyway, I was initially fairly underwhelmed by the demo until I gave it another shot, so here's some tips that made the game a lot better for me:

• Change crouch to Toggle rather than Hold. Much better.
  • If you're trying to shoot someone from any distance, click R3 to zoom in slightly; shots seem at least twice as accurate.
  • You press B/Circle to explode any demo charges you've placed — up to four at once — and you can do this with any weapon equipped.
  • You can tap LB/L2 with a gun equipped to get into cover if you're standing behind something suitable. You won't really need to unless you're playing on Hard, but it works surprisingly well.
  • If you can keep chaining kills of EDF forces then you'll see a bar raise. When it reaches the top fellow guerillas arrive on the scene! Although the one that appeared for me died straight away... Still, something to aim for within the demo's time limit.

So there you are, go fourth and crumble Crackerland. Oh, and see if you can demolish the two story building by taking out the entire first floor using an armoured vehicle as it's pretty hilarious.

Edited by Aimless
Typo.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The year is 2208. With the Earth crippled by a lack of natural resources, Mars has become an all important source of metal and minerals. In a pioneering cost saving measure the EDF have mandated that all Martian structures be constructed from an alternative building material: Jacob's crackers.

Yes, the demo's out for Red Faction: Guerilla if you're prepared to take 5 minutes signing up to THQ's website. It comes in both PS3 and 360 flavours and weighs in at around 700MB.

As you're probably aware, the destruction you can wreak upon the areas in this game is unprecedented. And a bit silly looking. But hey, however ridiculous pistol whipping a concrete wall to rubble may be, at least it lends itself well to — try not to wince — emergent gameplay. And let's be honest, blowing things up is always fun, especially in open-world games with enemies to collapse buildings, bridges and signs on.

Anyway, I was initially fairly underwhelmed by the demo until I gave it another shot, so here's some tips that made the game a lot better for me:

• Change crouch to Toggle rather than Hold. Much better.
  • If you're trying to shoot someone from any distance, click R3 to zoom in slightly; shots seem at least twice as accurate.
  • You press B/Circle to explode any demo charges you've placed — up to four at once — and you can do this with any weapon equipped.
  • You can tap LB/L2 with a gun equipped to get into cover if you're standing behind something suitable. You won't really need to unless you're playing on Hard, but it works surprisingly well.
  • If you can keep chaining kills of EDF forces then you'll see a bar raise. When it reaches the top fellow guerillas arrive on the scene! Although the one that appeared for me died straight away... Still, something to aim for within the demo's time limit.

So there you are, go fourth and crumble Crackerland. Oh, and see if you can demolish the two story building by taking out the entire first floor using an armoured vehicle as it's pretty hilarious.

Sounds like incredible amounts of fun. Anything like the second game?

Sounds like incredible amounts of fun. Anything like the second game?

I never really played the second; I spent around 20 minutes with the GameCube version, half of which was spent killing the same guy that kept respawning, the other half wondering if I had any sharp implements to hand with which to end my misery. I can say it's nothing like the first, though: that was very Half-Life whereas Guerilla — being a third-person open world game — is more Mercenaries.

The game is still very much about destruction of the scenery, but now it's focused on collapsing any structure you come across as opposed to tunnelling holes in the ground with a rocket launcher; that's pretty much all my friends and I did in Red Faction's multiplayer. I don't think you can alter the actual ground or mountains at all, but then I never felt any need to even attempt to whilst playing the demo.

If you're the kind of person that loves getting the army after you in GTA games and seeing how long you can last, this should be right up your alley. It's also very cathartic after years of playing games where driving over a pebble would stop you dead in your tracks: with the heavier vehicles, especially the Walker, you can plough through anything.

I never really played the second; I spent around 20 minutes with the GameCube version, half of which was spent killing the same guy that kept respawning, the other half wondering if I had any sharp implements to hand with which to end my misery. I can say it's nothing like the first, though: that was very Half-Life whereas Guerilla — being a third-person open world game — is more Mercenaries.

The game is still very much about destruction of the scenery, but now it's focused on collapsing any structure you come across as opposed to tunnelling holes in the ground with a rocket launcher; that's pretty much all my friends and I did in Red Faction's multiplayer. I don't think you can alter the actual ground or mountains at all, but then I never felt any need to even attempt to whilst playing the demo.

If you're the kind of person that loves getting the army after you in GTA games and seeing how long you can last, this should be right up your alley. It's also very cathartic after years of playing games where driving over a pebble would stop you dead in your tracks: with the heavier vehicles, especially the Walker, you can plough through anything.

LOL I'm glad I wasn't the only one doing that then. We literally wasted hours doing that...I played the demo yesterday, wasn't really impressed. I couldn't find a gun anywhere, didn't really know what was going on. Soldiers were attacking me for some reason and after a while of beating people up with a hammer I eventually died. Didn't see much point in going back.

I played the demo yesterday, wasn't really impressed. I couldn't find a gun anywhere, didn't really know what was going on. Soldiers were attacking me for some reason and after a while of beating people up with a hammer I eventually died. Didn't see much point in going back.

You start off with the hammer, some demo charges and an assault rifle. You hold down R2/RB and press the face buttons to select which weapon you want to equip; tapping R2/RB will swap between your last two selected weapons. Naturally you can pick up enemy guns but there are also guerilla ammo crates littered around — there's one right near you when you start — which you can use to replenish your ammo.

As for the enemies, apparently in the full game there's much more opportunity to wander around rigging explosives undercover but in the demo you're thrown right into a restricted area.

Anyway, here's some videos seeing as I didn't add any to the first post:

You start off with the hammer, some demo charges and an assault rifle. You hold down R2/RB and press the face buttons to select which weapon you want to equip; tapping R2/RB will swap between your last two selected weapons. Naturally you can pick up enemy guns but there are also guerilla ammo crates littered around — there's one right near you when you start — which you can use to replenish your ammo.

As for the enemies, apparently in the full game there's much more opportunity to wander around rigging explosives undercover but in the demo you're thrown right into a restricted area.

Anyway, here's some videos seeing as I didn't add any to the first post:

I swear! If That ostrich is in this game, I am getting this! From the look of those videos, it brings up exactly what aimless said, which is GTA when the army is on you, but with the fire-power to actually make a serious stand.

I played through the demo about 5 times - it was unbelievably good fun. The destruction on this is uncanny. First Bad Company came along and gave us destructible cover which was very cool, then Mercenaries 2 came along but was far too clunky but this is perfect. The first game I've played where shit actually blows up like it should. Tearing down buildings, smashing through walls, it's brilliant. Tearing everything apart in the Walker was gleeful.

Combat controls were a bit clunky to begins with but the demo got me seriously excited for the release - and I didn't even know about this game before this thread. Gonna stick this on my "Must buy" list I think.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
LoveFilm just sent this. Anyone else played through this?

Yup me! Game really feels like GTA (older ones, not played 4 yet) but with ultimate destruction in mind. Nothing like taking out a bridge with plenty of rockets, grenades and a car with a relic bomb attached and armed. Was awesome seeing the army trying to cross but getting caught up in my explosives. Some bits in the game are hilarious like when you get the walker and are just flipping cars all over the place.

Be warned though, you die FAST. Enemies are accurate and if you have only a sliver of life left and are running, be prepared to see that loading screen as they will gun you down with ease.

Online is SOOOOOO fun. Rhino through a wall and get opponents on the other side, or use the stealth pack and sledgehammer your foes into submission. If the campaign wasn't so...enjoyable (wanted a different word, not addicted but am certainly enthralled by the carnage that can be caused) then i would be hammering the multiplayer.

Perfect bump; I got this today after scouring eBay for ages and I'm absolutely loving it. Truly fantastic game, the destruction is unparalleled and the multiplayer is surprisingly good too. Can see they put a lot of time in to it, the game modes are good fun. Only got to Dust in the single player but I'm finding one mission in particular really tough.

I've been taking a break from this for a bit, mainly because I'm waiting on a patch. The game was surprisingly bug free when I played through it, but since finishing the story I've run into a few problems with missions not completing properly making it impossible for me to make progress on the remaining Trophies.

End-game annoyance aside this is easily one of my favourite games of the year so far, and as the multiplayer mode is genuinely good rather than a tacked-on afterthought it's also very good value for money.

Perfect bump; I got this today after scouring eBay for ages and I'm absolutely loving it. Truly fantastic game, the destruction is unparalleled and the multiplayer is surprisingly good too. Can see they put a lot of time in to it, the game modes are good fun. Only got to Dust in the single player but I'm finding one mission in particular really tough.

Yeah, I just got it from LoveFilm and f*cking love it. I love driving through buildings. I might look around see if I can buy a copy.

I just got one of those walkers and went on a rampage and levelled the massive Dust Town Hall.

What mission you finding tough?

Yeah, I just got it from LoveFilm and f*cking love it. I love driving through buildings. I might look around see if I can buy a copy.

I just got one of those walkers and went on a rampage and levelled the massive Dust Town Hall.

What mission you finding tough?

I've done it now, but it was the one where you first move in to Dust and have to take out the speakers for the miner rally. Kept getting absolutely thrashed, so I did a few Guerrilla Actions, picked up some salvage, went and bought myself a rocket launcher from the upgrade table, tried the mission again and did it first time. I love how it's possible to do something like that :D

Also, I dunno if you have it yet but have you got the Nano Rifle? Brilliant gun! Controlled demolition has never been so fun :heh: And finally; played multiplayer yet? I turned the game on earlier for a quick blast on multiplayer before continuing my single player game and ended up playing multiplayer for hours. Didn't end up playing any SP in the end :D Probably will later, though!

I've done it now, but it was the one where you first move in to Dust and have to take out the speakers for the miner rally. Kept getting absolutely thrashed, so I did a few Guerrilla Actions, picked up some salvage, went and bought myself a rocket launcher from the upgrade table, tried the mission again and did it first time. I love how it's possible to do something like that :D

Also, I dunno if you have it yet but have you got the Nano Rifle? Brilliant gun! Controlled demolition has never been so fun :heh: And finally; played multiplayer yet? I turned the game on earlier for a quick blast on multiplayer before continuing my single player game and ended up playing multiplayer for hours. Didn't end up playing any SP in the end :D Probably will later, though!

Multiplayer is definitely addictive and so much fun. Nothing like getting a bit of stealth and then abusing the sledgehammer a bit. Got 5 kills in a row thanks to that.

Yeah, I got the Nano Rifle but I'm find nothing beats just driving at full speed through buildings. Actually, that's how I've done most of the missions. :heh:

Haven't tried online yet. Might give it a go sometime during the week.

Yeah, I got the Nano Rifle but I'm find nothing beats just driving at full speed through buildings. Actually, that's how I've done most of the missions. :heh:

Haven't tried online yet. Might give it a go sometime during the week.

What's the best vehicle to do that with? I find that most of the time I need to get out of thing when I do this as its on fire and ready to explode.