N-Europe

YOUR Rights At Work

Kirkatronics

These always confuse me, ther are no clear cut answers to any questions you ask these days.

There are a few simple ones id like to know if anyone can help me, though.

What is the minimum temp. we HAVE to work at in a factory?

Would we still get paid if its too cold to work?

Can a boss give priority to his son over the rest of the workers?

The reason i ask this is because of my current circumstances, which if there were more job around wouldnt come up, which are nigeling at me.

When we get to work the factory is sometimes as low as -2, which means its absolutly freezing. Surely theres a law that stops us from having to work in this. On the other hand, i wouldnt want to risk not getting paid.

This is the legislation for my office:

Has to be 16 degrees.

Yes you can be made to work - as long as it is proven that your boss is doing what is reasonable to help the temp. If it is still under the legal temp after an hour you can go home unpaid.

You need to join a union really, because most jobs have different circumstances. Have you checked your contract?

I've had to work outside at 5 in the morning when it had frozen and was raining - doing manual labour.

It's shit. But just deal with it? We are humans.

I agree. There have been days when I've been sitting in an office, with no electricity, no heating... It was snowing, and the INSIDE temperature was 2 degrees. And it feels a lot lot colder when you are sitting idle, taking calls. There was a huge layer of snow on the roof meaning that even the sun wasn't heating the building.

Still had to work of course... Calls to be answered and all that shit.

I'm not sure if I'm correct, but what gets me is that I believe there is no maximum working temperature in the UK (fair enough, it's not very often it gets that hot), but sometimes in the searing heat, having to constantly lift heavy boxes in the stockroom at the place I work is enough to almost make someone faint!

I'm not sure if I'm correct, but what gets me is that I believe there is no maximum working temperature in the UK (fair enough, it's not very often it gets that hot), but sometimes in the searing heat, having to constantly lift heavy boxes in the stockroom at the place I work is enough to almost make someone faint!

That would be correct. =)

These always confuse me, ther are no clear cut answers to any questions you ask these days.

There are a few simple ones id like to know if anyone can help me, though.

What is the minimum temp. we HAVE to work at in a factory?

Would we still get paid if its too cold to work?

Can a boss give priority to his son over the rest of the workers?

The reason i ask this is because of my current circumstances, which if there were more job around wouldnt come up, which are nigeling at me.

When we get to work the factory is sometimes as low as -2, which means its absolutly freezing. Surely theres a law that stops us from having to work in this. On the other hand, i wouldnt want to risk not getting paid.

If the temperature is under 16 degrees for more than an hour you are legally allowed to go home but you will not be paid.

It depends what you mean by giving priority. What's he doing exactly?

For minimum wage it seems silly to me to kick up a fuss, if you don't like the job you are working at, get a new one.

I used to have to stand at the front entrance at the store I worked at, freezing cold etc, I didn't complain about it..sure my second manager kicked up a massive fuss when it was -5 by the doors and I'd been standing doing nothing for two hours. But still.

Someone at our place fainted a few years ago due to the heat, its extremes in our factory. Its either too hot or too cold, but in the other half it isnt bad.

If the temperature is under 16 degrees for more than an hour you are legally allowed to go home but you will not be paid.

It depends what you mean by giving priority. What's he doing exactly?

I mess something up i get told off for it, unless im woring with the bosses son.

For minimum wage it seems silly to me to kick up a fuss, if you don't like the job you are working at, get a new one.

I used to have to stand at the front entrance at the store I worked at, freezing cold etc, I didn't complain about it..sure my second manager kicked up a massive fuss when it was -5 by the doors and I'd been standing doing nothing for two hours. But still.

Easier said than done, jobs are harder to come by now and then they arent always secure.

I believe inside, you are in fact incorrect! I remember when I was back in GAME in bluewater the ACs broke/weren't working proper, and it was summer(woulda been summer 2005?), I also remember that our boss seemed to 'randomly' and out of the kindness of his heart(as he seemed to present it) gave us a few brief 10-15min breaks and stuff over the course of the shift. Of course, I later found out he was required to by some sort of law or WTD regulation, but I'm not sure if it counts towards being able to go off home unpaid or anything like that, you jsut gotta get a break of some amount of time every other amount of time, or something.

Actually, the maximum temperature we can legally work in is 37 degrees. Minimum i have no clue.

As for getting paid if you go home for being too cold, my work rules say yes i do.

Actually, the maximum temperature we can legally work in is 37 degrees. Minimum i have no clue.

As for getting paid if you go home for being too cold, my work rules say yes i do.

i don't think thats a law, its company discretion. I know we wouldn't get paid, and I work for the NHS, they kinda have to stick to legislation.