N-Europe

Metroid Prime Side Story?

Dante

Very much agree! A game based on Weavel could be great; with Ridley showing up as the Space Pirate General and leading you [alongside a battalion of Space Pirates] into battle.

im pretty sure another game based on hunters will never happen.. almost every metroid fan hated it only fps fans kinda liked it basically it failed in my mind..

You can argue that all you want but I think the series is more or less dead doing that fps shite.

Well for metroid I really think besides the metroids ridley is the one bad guy every metroid game has in common..So I consider it the main baddie of the metroid universe as bowser is to mario.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im pretty sure another game based on hunters will never happen.. almost every metroid fan hated it only fps fans kinda liked it basically it failed in my mind..

You can argue that all you want but I think the series is more or less dead doing that fps shite.

Well for metroid I really think besides the metroids ridley is the one bad guy every metroid game has in common..So I consider it the main baddie of the metroid universe as bowser is to mario.

I never played Hunters, didn't really like the look of it, I just remember reading Weavels backstory in the run up to its launch:

http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Weavel

Weavel was a powerful Space Pirate general. He was left for dead after a battle with Samus Aran, only his brain and spinal cord functioning. His only hope for survival was an experimental procedure in which his body was fused with a mobile life support system. The Space Pirates installed what was left of his body into a robotic shell with life support systems and weaponry, including an energy scythe. Since then he has become a general and bounty hunter for the Space Pirate forces.

Just sounds cool!

The opening chapter [like the space station in Prime], could be a pirate raid on a federation ship, ending with Samus showing up, you battling her and loosing... *fade to black* then a cut together flashing cutscene of the operation, before you waking up and a story ensuing, which Samus doesnt appear in, but at least it had that initial connection.

hmm i'll agree it does sound good but retro studios refused to use those characters on prime 3... they decided to create their own hunters for 3.

Even though retro may never make another metroid game whoever will will unlikely use him..

Your only chance is if nst( or whatever i forget the name of the studio) use them and after hunters... meh I'm not confident It would be good.

Gotta be Weavel...

His only hope for survival was an experimental procedure in which his body was fused with a mobile life support system.

Weavel: The Chozo never told you what happened to your father...

Samus: They told me enough... they told me you killed him!

Weavel: No Samus... I am your father!

Samus: Noooooooooooooooooo!

Gotta be Weavel...

Weavel: The Chozo never told you what happened to your father...

Samus: They told me enough... they told me you killed him!

Weavel: No Samus... I am your father!

Samus: Noooooooooooooooooo!

I thought Ridley Killed Samus' parents.

Yeh, umm... I was just drawing the comparison between him and Vader!

But yeah I think it was just Space Pirates, not specifically Ridley.

No, it was really Ridley. He crushed both of her parent's heads in front of her with his claws. It's in the canonical official manga. A quite violent moment.

No, it was really Ridley. He crushed both of her parent's heads in front of her with his claws. It's in the canonical official manga. A quite violent moment.

He didn't crush them as far as i'm aware. Her dad went on a Space Pirate ship and shot some energy element that the Space Pirates invaded them for and it exploded and Ridley done a crazy mouth blast burnign everything towards Samus then her mum appeared, smoke arised and Samus was still alive.

Spire was the coolest out of the Hunters. He was the last of his species and his ability to roll up walls was different. A Metroid RPG would be interesting, controlling multiple space pirates or impact troops or whatever they were called. As well as all of the weird creatures and hunters.

Definitely looks quite a lot like Weavel to me.

But yeah the whole Metroid universe could do with a different perspective. Y'know, actually seriously see the impact that the little blighters would have on the psyche of a society. No one really ever seems to acknowledge quite how mystical and amazing they are and in MP3 specifically, they are just kind of there.

So much more depth could be put in but I hope that it is just something fun and original.

I'd actually like to see civilians and such in the next metroid. Perhaps have small towns and stuff on the planet where you can interact with people and buy items. Perhaps they could also have a planet thats like a big city. I know It would ruin the isolation feeling a bit, but they could have parts of the game where you're stuck on a planet alone. I'd like to learn more about the universe though. It just seems like we're missing out on a lot of stuff because we don't know anything besides a few things that have happened to samus.

Story wise, perhaps the next game could take place after Metroid 4 (Fusion) with the space pirates going after samus because she has the metroid DNA.

That would take away the isolated feel that was already taken away a little from the last Metroid Prime.

I don't like Metroid series much, but I do know it would hurt a lot in the theme if she would just meet everyone in towns.

I'd actually like to see civilians and such in the next metroid. Perhaps have small towns and stuff on the planet where you can interact with people and buy items. Perhaps they could also have a planet thats like a big city. I know It would ruin the isolation feeling a bit, but they could have parts of the game where you're stuck on a planet alone. I'd like to learn more about the universe though. It just seems like we're missing out on a lot of stuff because we don't know anything besides a few things that have happened to samus.

what you have basically desbribed here is the legend of zelda series.. one of the few things that seperate metroid and zelda is the isolation.

Link meets people in towns and dicuses their problems and stories and side quests.. these don't exist in metorid games..

samus lays low and it should always be like this I think..

but change is necessary but not this way, and I also don't think the "make it look like halo" metroid prime 3 approach works either.

what you have basically desbribed here is the legend of zelda series.. one of the few things that seperate metroid and zelda is the isolation.

Link meets people in towns and dicuses their problems and stories and side quests.. these don't exist in metorid games..

samus lays low and it should always be like this I think..

but change is necessary but not this way, and I also don't think the "make it look like halo" metroid prime 3 approach works either.

I'm not saying it all has to be in cities. But you could have Samus occasionally go into some sort of settlement without really ruining the feeling. Even if it just started out in a city or something, and then went into some caves somewhere. that might even enhance the feeling of isolation because you all of a sudden are cut off rathe than it always being that way.

An interesting approach to the Metroid series would be to take a game in a Mass Effect like direction.

Well I suppose Prime 3 touched on that slightly with different planets and travelling between them in your ship but I mean more in the way of being able to pick up random missions from NPC's. Play up on the Samus being a bounty hunter feature a bit more. Go to some shady looking alien bar on one planet, get word of some hostile base to infiltrate on another world, or some rare artifact, fly out there and have to go through a small area to meet a goal...but one that still follows a Metroid like level progression. Some morph ball areas, platforming, etc.

It would also be especially awesome to fly the ship though through some segments, perhaps skippable scenes which have bonuses if you do play them, sort of like Kingdom Hearts.

I'm not saying it all has to be in cities. But you could have Samus occasionally go into some sort of settlement without really ruining the feeling. Even if it just started out in a city or something, and then went into some caves somewhere. that might even enhance the feeling of isolation because you all of a sudden are cut off rathe than it always being that way.

Like...a dungeon?

What you suggest could work as a spin-off, with a character that isn't Samus.

Personally, I feel the Metroid universe could work well in an MMO, but Samus is Samus, and the main series is the main series. You shouldn't take away from the series what makes it stand out from the others: The fact that you are (or should be) alone on a hell-hole, explore the plot on your own, and draw conclusions as you see fit.

Ridley & the pirates at the station. Never truly explained, better left for our imagination

Well I suppose Prime 3 touched on that slightly with different planets and travelling between them in your ship but I mean more in the way of being able to pick up random missions from NPC's. Play up on the Samus being a bounty hunter feature a bit more. Go to some shady looking alien bar on one planet, get word of some hostile base to infiltrate on another world, or some rare artifact, fly out there and have to go through a small area to meet a goal...but one that still follows a Metroid like level progression. Some morph ball areas, platforming, etc.

I see where you're coming from. But it still takes away from the atmosphere, as it would mean the introduction of several characters, and a scenario-based plot. Not to mention that, to have a decent number of missions, the levels/planets would be shorter, taking away from the exploration.

One reservation I have about cities is that it would overcomplicate the streamlined gameplay Metroid has. If you could buy weapon and armour upgrades, then this would detract from the way Samus powers up by just finding them.

I love the way the Metroid games (at least the 2D ones) feel like meditation. They're subtle and implicit. I also love the idea that you can travel anywhere through all the interconnected passageways if you find the correct route. I think adding towns with characters you can talk to could actually add too much "story" and take away from the "meditation" feel.

It's a nice idea and I could see why it would be enjoyable in some sort of Metroid RPG, but I don't see it as a way to develop the core series, personally.

Now, as for playing as a Space Pirate (I take it he'd rebel in some way), yeah, I'd be up for that, although it might not have the "armour upgrading" aspect of the gameplay. I agree with others that it's interesting how you've got the ferocious, amoral Metroids, the scheming, manipulative Space Pirates and, of course, Samus and the various bounty hunters.

Technically, I think they've got some way to go before the 3D Metroids are as good as the 2D ones. Stacked beams are a good start. I like Metroid Prime 3, although I do still have to think about the controls more than the 2D games, and thus still can't concentrate on the core "attack and evasion" gameplay as much as the 2D ones.

Perhaps Nintendo should take a cue from other popular games like Gears of War and Resident Evil 4/5 and make it 3rd-person/over-the-shoulder? Like I say, I think you need to be able to see Samus in order to have dodging and evasion an important part of the gameplay. There's no reason why you shouldn't be able to switch back into 1st-person whenever you like.

So, I hope this is a 2D game or, if it's a 3D Wii game, some sort of technical test before they give Samus the full HD treatment in a few years!

Like...a dungeon?

No. More like the dungeon is the entire world like in most metroid games and the towns are just tiny little areas you will go to in the world. Even if you rarely go to them, The contrast of being in a town for a few minutes and then being all alone in some cavern a few minutes latter would add to the game a bit.

Let's set the ground rules here. The Prime series is awesome - quite possible the best video game trilogy ever made. I'd cry like a baby if we never saw a Metroid game in that vein again.

HOWEVER, I'd actually like to see at least one game where you play as Samus the bounty hunter and... you know.... do some bounty hunting.