NEurope
s3k

Anyone else think GAME is going downhill?

I've just been reading this, (specifically the comments thread where a guy from GAME has gone completely off the wall over the writers jokes about him) and its brought to light something i've been semi aware of for a while.

Some of the stores in my town, and we have four! Are unfortunately staffed with people who act just like this, they don't seem to care about what you've actually come into buy and will instead talk about some dull samey XBox or PC game they're playing. Failing that they'll try and sell you some own brand stuff or that bloody loyalty card.

Now i'm not saying all GAME stores or indeed all of their staff are like this, but there does seem to almost be one for every store. I used to work there a long time ago, just before and after it changed from EB, and it never seemed like this, it was a fun place to work with nice people. I've noticed GameStation seem to be this way currently - putting customer service as a number one priority and being genuinely interested in what you like playing.

Am i the only one who feels this way? Is there anyone from GAME or GameStation who thinks similarly. Sorry to rant, i just thought i'd air my thoughts - its what the internet is for! ;)

i think all game shops are going downhill with online shopping now, theyre cheaper online and you can get free delivery, and wen preordering you can get it on the date sent to you, while shops you have to go after whatever your doing and they might not even have it.

i love online shopping

The thing that i do like about shops though is being able to go in and have a look at what you're getting, maybe even try it out on a pod and being able to walk away with it right there and then. Even if you do pay that extra fiver for it :(

No Wi-Fi Dongle on release date.. Yeah they've got down hill. Bastards.

*is angry*

The GAME near where i live seems to be going downhill. I remember going into GAME to buy my DS, and they tried to sell me a GBA SP instead making out there were no DS's left in store. I still got the DS, but at a reduced price for inconvieniance caused. That was the last time i shopped at GAME. I tend to go to Gamestation in town or shop online at Gameplay. Both seem to be much better than GAME these days.

I was in Gamestation a week or so ago and this women started talking to the man about buying a PSP, he eventually got her into the XBox 360 shit and got her to buy one.

They basically just lead people onto what they think is best and ignored the fact she wanted something handheld for her son. He said the PSP wasn't new technology, so then she should go for the XBox 360, where as he should of said, "it isn't new technology, so you might want to try out a handheld with new techology" Not skipping onto a home console.

Just because your GAME stores are unlucky and got stuck with bad-mannered staff doesn't mean they're going downhill. The people in my local GAME are lovely people - I take my chosen game to the counter, they make some sort of comment on it such as "Oh, I can't wait to get home to play this" or "Good choice", I pay for the item and then I leave.

The guys in my local Gamestation, however, are a bunch of overweight goths that don't give two shits about the customers and just continue to talk with their friend whilst you're trying to pay for the item. They also continually play heavy metal music which is a bit overbearing for lots of people.

The cheekiest thing about GAME is their "lowest price guarantee!" sticker on every game they've got labled as £39.99 which is 30-35 quid at just about any indy games shop you want to walk in.

Just because your GAME stores are unlucky and got stuck with bad-mannered staff doesn't mean they're going downhill. The people in my local GAME are lovely people - I take my chosen game to the counter, they make some sort of comment on it such as "Oh, I can't wait to get home to play this" or "Good choice", I pay for the item and then I leave.

The guys in my local Gamestation, however, are a bunch of overweight goths that don't give two shits about the customers and just continue to talk with their friend whilst you're trying to pay for the item. They also continually play heavy metal music which is a bit overbearing for lots of people.

What you say about gamestation applies in my area as well, they seem to be more obsessed with their makeup than their customers, We musnt forget the god like 10 day return game does, invaluable service.

No i can totally appreciate your point, the purpose of the post was to see if it's the same in other places. Seems there is a switch in your town.

Its interesting - when i worked at GAME i tried to conduct the same approach, make nice comments and try and offer genuine help instead of just selling them something I think they should have. I guess I'm just disappointed that things can change in such a way...

Sweet a shop that plays Heavy metal constantly. Piss off everybody else but me for a change. I hate walking into a shop to hear them blasting out pop and rap music devoid of all talent and creativity. Indie music is bearable because its easy to tune out. My local GAME sucks ass now aswell, miniscule Cube section and half a wall dedicated to PS2.

GAME hasn't gone downhill as it has never been up a hill in its entire existance. It's stuck at the bottom of a very big hill busy ripping people off. At the top of the hill are the likes of Play.com who actually care about giving people value for money.

Unless money is no object you'd have to be mad to buy all of your games on the highstreet.

i get fed up with people having a go at GAME staff. End of the day a lot of them are just students trying to fund their way through college or UNI. They probably play games and its a nice easy job for them. Doesnt mean that they should know everything that happens in the gaming world which i might add most information can only be found out via the internet.

i used to work in Halfords part time when i was a student, i didnt know everything about every single car!

anyway so yeah leave the staff alone....if you know so much about games you wont need their help anyway.

yes the staff could know more about games but then thats down to GAME themselves finding out information and telling the staff about it. I wouldnt expect anyone to go home after a long shift and research on the internet all night just to be up to date in the gaming world just so they can please a kid that comes in demanding to know about nintendo.

they are probably told to push the sales of their own branded stuff aswell as loyalty cards so thats not the staff its the company.

I agree 100%. At least most of the staff do know about games in general, I'd never expect them to be some kind of authority on gaming. I've never had a problem with any of their staff, my problem is with the company's pricing policy.

The GAME near me is ok, but they are just annoying. They arent rude but the ALWAYS try and get me to buy a PS2 or XBOX game when im buying a GC game even when I tell them I don't have an Xbox or PS2, Gamestation however have really nice staff and are like, "enjoy your game" well, they only said that once when i brought my ds and when i brought nintendogs but they are still more polite than GAME.

I agree. It's hard not to leave GAME these days without being asked if you want a 360 or PSP. There's far too much space for non essential stuff whereas today I went in out of curiosity to see if they stocked the dongle, but could find any DS accessories near the games, so just left.

GAME hasn't gone downhill as it has never been up a hill in its entire existance. It's stuck at the bottom of a very big hill busy ripping people off. At the top of the hill are the likes of Play.com who actually care about giving people value for money.

Unless money is no object you'd have to be mad to buy all of your games on the highstreet.

Yeah, exactly, how can something go downhill when it's already the lowest common denominator as far as games stores go?

Gamestation is about a million times better in every way, and the staff are better by miles.

(Although GAME did once have Johelian which then made that particular store better than all other stores ;))

I have a GAME memory card, it's got LOADSA space, and doesn't corrupt like most 3rd party memory cards. They also sell Nintendo games, unlike Curry's and such which dropped the Cube when it was selling just as well as the Xbox overall?!?!

Otherwise, GAME suck.

No Wi-Fi Dongle on release date.. Yeah they've got down hill. Bastards.

*is angry*

Indeed :mad:

Gamestation too.

Woo thats me! And my friends. Go us!

But yeah Im going to be bias cause I work there. It does depend on the people who work there. As far as loyalty cards go I do try and sell them when buying hardware because you get £2.50 back anyway but if they seem adamant to not buy one then I'm fine with that. You do have targets on loyalty percentage but it depends on how strict the manager is to whether they really care. Ours is a great guy and he doesn't really care that much.

But as Meik said, our Gamestation is the "freaks" of the town. They seem nice enough (well Rob the long haired one and the short haired normal guy seem fine, the big fat scary goth is...well big fat and scary).

Oh and as far as the dongle, it was never mentioned in any details about MK. Did Nintendo say it would be in shops, or in stores? Cause stores could mean online stores, ie Play and Gameplay.

Fuck Game and Gamestation and bring back the Independent stores. I remember back in the day used to go to the Indy store and they would have a pod with every console and it was ALWAYS playable unlike in Game where they often take the controllers out. My indy even had Gamecube and PS2 as soon as they came out in Japan. And the best thing is you could have a conversation with the guy and he would know what he was on about.

Oh yea and my Gamestation is full of goths as well

If don't care how much my local GAME staff know about games. I don't need their advice.

Fuck Game and Gamestation and bring back the Independent stores. I remember back in the day used to go to the Indy store and they would have a pod with every console and it was ALWAYS playable unlike in Game where they often take the controllers out. My indy even had Gamecube and PS2 as soon as they came out in Japan. And the best thing is you could have a conversation with the guy and he would know what he was on about.

Oh yea and my Gamestation is full of goths as well

Never really had an indie gaming store near me so can't speak for them but I found an indie store in SoHo, NY (oddly enough it was near the end of the week and it was the first indie I found) and had a good time. Chatting to the guy in there about all sorts, not just music and he was cool. Wish I could go back but alas. Spent about $100 in there, most of it for friends. So if anyone is in NY head to "Rocks In Your Head" in SoHo.

the staff in my game store are always very friendly, never try to get me to buy anything else. One even give me a free poster :).