N-Europe

Yakuza 3

Choze

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I heard some news ages ago that Sega were thinking of releasing this game outside of Japan but as a download only. I really hope they don't.

If the worst happens (not released outside Japan) then I'll import it (my Japanese isn't great but I can get by).

Edited by sumo73

I heard some news ages ago that Sega were thinking of releasing this game outside of Japan but as a download only. I really hope they don't.

If the worst happens (not released outside Japan) then I'll import it (my Japanese isn't great but I can get by).

erm...........

• 4 weeks later...
I'm not bothered about playing anything until God of War III. I will pick this up when releases are more sparse.

See I'm not gonna pick up GoW 3 straight away cos not played the first two yet and other stuff I'd rather play than sit through 3 of the same game back to back.

I could have played through all three easily. Just so awesome.

Yeah I would probably want to play something in between each of them...even if its only something small like a PSN title, just as a palette cleanser! likely would feel bit burnt out playing all 3 back to back...I will likely do it at some point, perhaps should have started it earlier so I did have time but meh nevermind!

Yay for broken street dates!

I gave this some serious playtime yesterday, and I really love it! I enjoyed previous Yakuza-games (even though I never got far in part 2...), and this is a natural extension. It looks great, the fixed camera is thankfully gone most of the time and the Japanese voices are better than previous English ones. And with a free soundtrack on a seperate disc and PSN-voucher, no complaints here.

Yes, there are still artifacts which feel very dated this day'n age: dialogues with only textboxes (between 2 cuntscenes... odd), movement is't as fluid as it could be, the 'random encounters'. The grand idea hasn't really changed since Yakuza 1 on a structural level

But the fighting is still awesome, and there are little details I really like. E.G. when you encounter an opponent (Street Thug, Yakuza, and the like.) the people on the street clear the fighting area. Small details, but nice nontheless. And the feeling of walking through a busy street has never been so convincing.

And that's best how to sum up Yakuza 3: Yakuza with excellent graphics, smooth fighting controls and less static camera. Nothing more, nothing less.

Oh, and if you missed out on part 1 & 2: you can review the story through a mini-movie made from cutscenes from both games and told by Kazuma himself. It really help to set the scene for Yakuza 3, so no worries about not having played 1 & 2. The game got you covered.

Let's hope this does well, and they Bring Yakuza 4 to the West eventually.

Edited by Strange Cookie

Yay for broken street dates!

I gave this some serious playtime yesterday, and I really love it! I enjoyed previous Yakuza-games (even though I never got far in part 2...), and this is a natural extension. It looks great, the fixed camera is thankfully gone most of the time and the Japanese voices are better than previous English ones. And with a free soundtrack on a seperate disc and PSN-voucher, no complaints here.

Yes, there are still artifacts which feel very dated this day'n age: dialogues with only textboxes (between 2 cuntscenes... odd), movement is't as fluid as it could be, the 'random encounters'. The grand idea hasn't really changed since Yakuza 1 on a structural level

But the fighting is still awesome, and there are little details I really like. E.G. when you encounter an opponent (Street Thug, Yakuza, and the like.) the people on the street clear the fighting area. Small details, but nice nontheless. And the feeling of walking through a busy street has never been so convincing.

And that's best how to sum up Yakuza 3: Yakuza with excellent graphics, smooth fighting controls and less static camera. Nothing more, nothing less.

Oh, and if you missed out on part 1 & 2: you can review the story through a mini-movie made from cutscenes from both games and told by Kazuma himself. It really help to set the scene for Yakuza 3, so no worries about not having played 1 & 2. The game got you covered.

Let's hope this does well, and they Bring Yakuza 4 to the West eventually.

wow you've totally sold it to me...know you've not said much...but its enough. I was only going to make one game purchase this month and tossing up between Yakuza 3, Darksiders and Final Fantasy 13...gonna play the first two's demos (previously played the japanese yakuza demo) but I think you've defo sold it to me...

Well, I spent another whole evening playing Yakuza 3. Bioshock 2, Dante's Inferno, Heavy Rain, RE5:GE and many others are just gathering dust. It's so addictive, and yet I can't put my finger on ot as to why... It shouldn't be. Maybe it's because it's the closest thing to Shenmue III.

Just don't expect the first part of the game to walk around in busy citystreets, being all Yakuza. It's... slightly different, but refreshing all the same and rather endearing. You'll even go on a spot of golfing.

I know it's savage, even a bit sad, but I really like how in fights your opponents and fist get bloody. Now that's progress! :wink: And the fights are so visceral and brutal, especially the special object-related moves. Or the way some opponents try to crawl away or back out when they got a beating. No point in running from the Dragon of Dojima, though. Oh, and the strangly encouraging people during fights. One minute, and old lady is staggering to cross the road, minutes later she's screaming way too enthousiasticly at the fighters from the sideline. Fight's over, everybody just walks along. It's very (and probably unintentionally) funny to see.

Edited by Strange Cookie

Well, I spent another whole evening playing Yakuza 3. Bioshock 2, Dante's Inferno, Heavy Rain, RE5:GE and many others are just gathering dust. It's so addictive, and yet I can't put my finger on ot as to why... It shouldn't be. Maybe it's because it's the closest thing to Shenmue III.

Just don't expect the first part of the game to walk around in busy citystreets, being all Yakuza. It's... slightly different, but refreshing all the same and rather endearing. You'll even go on a spot of golfing.

I know it's savage, even a bit sad, but I really like how in fights your opponents and fist get bloody. Now that's progress! :wink: And the fights are so visceral and brutal, especially the special object-related moves. Or the way some opponents try to crawl away or back out when they got a beating. No point in running from the Dragon of Dojima, though. Oh, and the strangly encouraging people during fights. One minute, and old lady is staggering to cross the road, minutes later she's screaming way too enthousiasticly at the fighters from the sideline. Fight's over, everybody just walks along. It's very (and probably unintendedly) funny to see.

I heard that you don't actually kill anyone which is kinda cool. I keep meaning to play the demo of this again to help me decide whether to buy it or not.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!