N-Europe

External Hard Drive Failing

EEVILMURRAY

This is most displeasing. For some reason my external hard drive has decided to stop "working" I think. I try to click on the icon I have on my desktop but it says it's unavailable, I got into My Computer and it isn't there. I've checked the cables and they're fully attached.

It's got loads of my shizzle on there :(

Help me!

Do you have access to another computer to try it?

Yeah I tried it on this laptop.

Though, try another HDD enclosure.

It connects via the magic of the USB Massive, I tried it with about 3 of my other ports.

What is normally the cause of something like this? Overheating or some shizzle?

Drives just become corrupt sometimes... there's often little to be done. A common cause is disconnecting while data is being written.

You should try and use windows' own chkdsk function, but that would require the disk showing up in the first place (then you'd right click on it, properties, tools, check disk). Alternatively it could be a problem with the USB cable although that's not so likely. If all else fails it may be possible to completely take apart your drive and get the hdd out of the plastic enclosure, and then connect it by IDE or SATA cable, although I don't really recommend that unless you have nothing else to lose (and you might find you need some fancy screwdrivers).

What comes up when you go to Computer Management, then Disk Management, found in Administrative Tools.

start>run>diskmgmt.msc is the quickest way to get this

Also, I'd suggest cracking open the enclosure if you have no luck, and connecting the drive up directly to your PC. If it then doesn't work, you may be able to use data recovery tools.

http://www.recuva.com is free and would be a thing to initially try. Don't recover files to the same drive, also, for the love of god.

start>run>diskmgmt.msc is the quickest way to get this

Also, I'd suggest cracking open the enclosure if you have no luck, and connecting the drive up directly to your PC. If it then doesn't work, you may be able to use data recovery tools.

http://www.recuva.com is free and would be a thing to initially try. Don't recover files to the same drive, also, for the love of god.

Recuva is brill =]

Lost my college work quite a few times.