N-Europe

Sega Mega Drive Ultimate Collection

Cube

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless they plan on adding "Knuckles lock-on DLC" or something.

Probably, my good opinion of sega is shrinking fast. :(

I Reckon:

Sega: I know! Lets release a mega drive ULTIMATE collection but leave out the lock-on feature for sonic 2 and sonic 3 with sonic & knuckles coz we know everyone loves it. Then we will release Sonic 3 on XBLA and then after that we will release payable DLC to include the lock on feature but they have to have already paid to have Sonic 3 and Sonic 2 on the consoles seperatly as XBLA. :angry:

<Rant Over>

Sonic Mega Collection+ is apparently being released on XBL Xbox Originals which has all the Sonic games including S&K and the lock on feature.

But that means no achievements or anything... missed opportunity much? if thats actually happening then I don't give a damn about it anymore because that will officially mean they will have no need to bring it to XBLA... so I might as well just play it on my Megadrive or Wii. :p

Fucking... instant... download! : peace:

I just dug out Sonic and Knuckles Collection for the PC and played it with a USB controller. And yknow... I'm glad I didn't buy Ultimate Mega-Drive Collection. As much as I love S3&K, I finished it in a couple of play sessions and these days such a platformer doesn't have the same replayability. Maybe it's the save function, the ease of changing games back then or just that I have grown less patient. Either way I don't think the title would've lasted me very long (probably would've played some Shinobi and Golden Axe but none of the RPGs) so I'm kinda glad they convinced me to cancel my order now.

Now that you mention it, it probably wouldn't have lasted long for me, either. I always find that when I do buy a compilation, I very, vary rarely play each game for more than a few minutes.

The XBLA titles I've played through a few times. So even though they cost more money, I'm much more likely to actually play them. Plus I can choose which ones I want. Having a look at what I actually want from the list, it's actually rather small:

The Story of Thor (only because I very, very slightly remember the Saturn version)

Comix Zone

Vectorman

Sonic 3 & Knuckles (which isn't actually there, just the two separate games).

So I'm definitely not going to get this, either.

You bring up a good point Shorty, I have the Mega Drive Collection on PSP and barely touched it, pop in for the odd game of this or that. I started Sonic 3 and Knuckles on Sonic Mega Collection on the cube again the other day but the way the graphics look has kinda put me off. They look so chunky and janky...guess thats the only good thing going for this ultimate collection the games will at least look good on a HDTV...

Compilations are getting extremely tiresome. Especially from SEGA. I'm surprised people are still interested in compilations at all.

Sure some games are still fun but in most cases the memory far exceeds the actual re-play. You could also argue that there are few 'classic' or 'evergreen' titles from SEGA. Especially during the 16bit era. Look at Nintendo's evergreen titles (NES to N64). Compare that with SEGA and it's night and day. SEGA DO have classics but I'd say more were on the DC (and, at a push the Saturn).

When they get their arses into gear with DC/Saturn re-releases THEN I may show some kind of interest. Otherwise it's just becoming a bit of a joke how they are diluting their 'liked' titles from the early-mid 90's.

/rant.

Personally I would love a Disney collection from the 8-16 bit era, playing Ducktales, Chip N Dale, Aladdin, Lion King, Quackshot, World of Illusion etc would be fantastic but seeing as these are licensed games and on various formats it will never happen :(

Why the hell is there no ToeJam and Earl in this collection!?

Compilations are getting extremely tiresome. Especially from SEGA. I'm surprised people are still interested in compilations at all.

Sure some games are still fun but in most cases the memory far exceeds the actual re-play. You could also argue that there are few 'classic' or 'evergreen' titles from SEGA. Especially during the 16bit era. Look at Nintendo's evergreen titles (NES to N64). Compare that with SEGA and it's night and day. SEGA DO have classics but I'd say more were on the DC (and, at a push the Saturn).

When they get their arses into gear with DC/Saturn re-releases THEN I may show some kind of interest. Otherwise it's just becoming a bit of a joke how they are diluting their 'liked' titles from the early-mid 90's.

/rant.

I doubt we will see Saturn collections apparently it is near on impossible to properly emulate, the problems arise from the custom sound set up.... If you listen to I think it was not the most recent but the one before that episode of Retronauts they have the producer of Ultimate Collection and he discusses it...

Personally I would love a Disney collection from the 8-16 bit era, playing Ducktales, Chip N Dale, Aladdin, Lion King, Quackshot, World of Illusion etc would be fantastic but seeing as these are licensed games and on various formats it will never happen :(

Why the hell is there no ToeJam and Earl in this collection!?

Same again listen to Retronauts...basically it came down to a rights issues I don't think they owned the rights to publish it in all territories or something and they wanted to be able to launch the same collection worldwide. I think that was the issue with it...you'd have to listen to it to check.

It's a good listen actually...Producer of the collection talks indepth about a lot of stuff. check it out at 1up.com

It really depends on how the deal was done. Sometimes they include the old games, like Rare, and sometimes they don't.

For example, I don't think any of Acclaim's games can be re-released, even if the developers still exist. Look at the Burnout Anthology on PS2: It only includes Takedown, Revenge and the non-Criterion one.

So did many people bother to pick this up?

I did and ive seen Beermonkey and Chuck playing it while on Live.

Its a bit of a rip by Sega when it comes to the boxarts and cartridge shots as they have just left the American ones in the game. Its called the Mega Drive collection yet it has Genesis slapped all over the starting screen as boxart pics move around in the background. Lazy SOBs.

It's a rip because it holds about 32MB of games on a blu-ray that can hold 50GB. you could fit every sega game ever on this disk.

This is why the excuse that they wanted to make sure they got other games on collection rather than Sonic 3 + Knuckles doesn't hold any water at all it's plain BS.

It's still an excellent collection, and yes they didn't include Sonic 3 + Knuckles on the collection because they will want to release it on XBLA in a more lucrative fashion, but at least we will get it eventually and it will have the full 200G of achievements (at least) that it deserves plus the multiplayer bit will probably be online, that was good fun back in the day. ^^

Also did anyone notice that next to the Sonic 3 screenshot on the back of the box they made a typo and put 'Sonic 2' next to it? I shit you not, pretty shoddy if you ask me :heh: but no matter... the collection still seriously owns and I hope they make more based on Mega CD / 32X in the future.