NEurope

But the 3DS is screaming out for a 3D Mario platformer - you know, a game where judging distances (and therefore would benefit from the 3D) is quite important.

But the 3DS is screaming out for a 3D Mario platformer - you know, a game where judging distances (and therefore would benefit from the 3D) is quite important.

True but there's lots that 3D can do to benefit 2(.5)D platforming - the added depth would mean that enemies could attack from the background for example.

I don't mind them making another 2D Mario, just as long as it's more fun! The last two were pretty dull compared to the classic games. Although, 4-player was quite fun :)

Nintendo Investigating Wii Hard Drive System

The Wii, currently, does not have a hard drive. However, Nintendo appears to be considering one since they filed a patent for a process that transfers Wii games to a hard drive.

Nintendo’s plan is to make a separate hard drive partition for each DVD game. Once games are saved on a hard drive, the Wii reads a directory and shows all available games with box art. This is done by accessing a virtual DVD partition on the hard drive. The interface also displays ESRB ratings and the patent mentions possible parental controls.

image72.png

Here’s a flowchart of the system.

pat1.pngpat2.png

Seems like Nintendo has a plan in place for streaming Wii games from a hard drive. The question is will they release it for the public.

You know for once...I am fed up with the gaming public, thanks to most people that never have given Dragon Quest a chance, I and many others will most likely miss out on perhaps what looks to be one of the most funnest games ever on a Wii system

*Goes back to the front door and continues to wait for Dragon Quest IX*

The ability to play Wii games off a hard drive is a good idea, it's already been done through a homebrew app. Wish I could take advantage of it but I don't have a USB hard drive :(

There's already a Wii which can run games off of a hard drive at the Nintendo Store in New York from what I remember reading awhile ago after some people had been there for an event.

At this point in time, it's too late to bring this about with the current console but I reckon it's something Nintendo will consider looking at for their next console, although it does bring about the issue of second hand games becoming more prevalent if the games can simply be installed on a hard drive and thus the disc not being needed again. I reckon if Nintendo do incorporate it, it'll need you to insert the disc everytime you boot up the game and then allowing you to take it out once the game is running.

Whatever the hardware manufacturers do with their next consoles will encorporate more digital download capabilities to combat lost sales from 2nd hand sales. Maybe Nintendo are thinking of offering full games via downloads for their next console?

There's already a Wii which can run games off of a hard drive at the Nintendo Store in New York from what I remember reading awhile ago after some people had been there for an event.

At this point in time, it's too late to bring this about with the current console but I reckon it's something Nintendo will consider looking at for their next console, although it does bring about the issue of second hand games becoming more prevalent if the games can simply be installed on a hard drive and thus the disc not being needed again. I reckon if Nintendo do incorporate it, it'll need you to insert the disc everytime you boot up the game and then allowing you to take it out once the game is running.

Or perhaps they could set it up so every time you try to launch the game, there's a 5% chance that you'll need to insert the disk, or something like that.

Or perhaps they could set it up so every time you try to launch the game, there's a 5% chance that you'll need to insert the disk, or something like that.

I see Nintendo joining the 'activation code' ranks, requiring you to input a code before you can play online or install to drive.

I see Nintendo joining the 'activation code' ranks, requiring you to input a code before you can play online or install to drive.

If that's everything we had to do in order to play the games from a hard drive, I wouldn't mind. Seems a small "price" to pay for the comfort of having all games on a hard drive. As long as the installation remains optional everything should be fine.

But how would an activation for existing games work, if such a system was to be implemented for the regular user? It's only natural that Nintendo would want to prevent excessive sharing of games, but is there any way to recognize a certain disc of a game, so it could be "locked" after installation?

I got NSMB today and so for the first time since getting my Wii I pulled it out of the Wii Motion + (and the jacket). I was actually rather shocked at how small and light it is. I'm pretty sure that the WM+ and jacket weighs more than the Remote itself.

I seem to recall Company of Heroes for PC doing something like that...or at least according to my imagination it did.

Or they just give you a one-time use code with the game that you authorise over the net when you install it. This would screw over preowned buyers though.

Nintendo dosen't care about pre-owned buyers. Their solution isn't going to take that into consideration. What they might consider though, is being able to take the game to a friends to play it or something like that. Social gaming (offline anyway) is something they've always been behind really.

I got Dead Space: Extraction on a rental. I'm not a fan of light gun games (I didn't enjoy HotD: Overkill at all) but I've done six chapters of DSE and I'm loving it. The pacing is brilliant, it's miles scarier/suspenseful than the original. The story is also pretty good - the original has a better "mystery" story to it, while this one has a better action/"now" story. The characters are also much better.

I got Dead Space: Extraction on a rental. I'm not a fan of light gun games (I didn't enjoy HotD: Overkill at all) but I've done six chapters of DSE and I'm loving it. The pacing is brilliant, it's miles scarier/suspenseful than the original. The story is also pretty good - the original has a better "mystery" story to it, while this one has a better action/"now" story. The characters are also much better.

Like you, I gave it rent and played it through a few months ago, and in the midst of all the positive reaction to it, I'm kinda disappointed in myself that I didn't get into it so much. I find it admirable on a technical level, but I couldn't stop asking myself why the hell this is on-rails. Kudos to the developers for doing the best job with a fundamentally handicapped concept, but wanting to just take control and go exploring was something I - no pun intended - couldn't escape from.

Like you, I gave it rent and played it through a few months ago, and in the midst of all the positive reaction to it, I'm kinda disappointed in myself that I didn't get into it so much. I find it admirable on a technical level, but I couldn't stop asking myself why the hell this is on-rails. Kudos to the developers for doing the best job with a fundamentally handicapped concept, but wanting to just take control and go exploring was something I - no pun intended - couldn't escape from.

I think the restriction made a better, more concise experience. Had it been third-person, it would have been a poor man's Dead Space HD, no doubt. What would set it apart from Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition, besides the setting?

It was a good design choice, worked with the Wii's technical limitations rather than against them (a la Dead Rising), and felt more immersive and personal than a third-person horror. In a situation like that, would you go off and hunt down boxes of collectibles in a dark, creepy space station, or would you follow the path ahead and fight for your life?

I was quite blown away by Dead Space Extraction, I hope EA bring us another instalment!

Nintendo dosen't care about pre-owned buyers. Their solution isn't going to take that into consideration. What they might consider though, is being able to take the game to a friends to play it or something like that. Social gaming (offline anyway) is something they've always been behind really.

Nintendo should, and absolutely are, concerned by second hand market. They don't receive a penny for the sale - thats something every business will want to avoid.

I agree Nintendo should keep a healthy focus on (local) social play but that is at odds with the emerging pre-owned market. Should Nintendo opt to lock down the market with access codes or whatever (and i'm sure they will), they should make adjustments to cater for the vast swathes of gamers who take disks round to a mates house - perhaps you could log into your Nintendo account (assuming they go down that route) - giving your friend permission to play the disk whilst your there; ie, temporarily transfering your license to another machine.

I was quite blown away by Dead Space Extraction, I hope EA bring us another instalment!

Totally agree. I fail to see why the on-rails shooter (not that DSE is solely that) is such a despised genre. Its like calling Tetris pants because its 2D and doesnt use analogue controls.

I'm kinda disappointed in myself that I didn't get into it so much.

This, I much preferred House of the Dead: Overkill. No matter how many technical problems it suffered from, I feel it was more the interesting shooter.

I put it down to being more fast paced.

You know for once...I am fed up with the gaming public, thanks to most people that never have given Dragon Quest a chance, I and many others will most likely miss out on perhaps what looks to be one of the most funnest games ever on a Wii system.

You aint wrong, just look at the epic opening the game has!

You know for once...I am fed up with the gaming public, thanks to most people that never have given Dragon Quest a chance, I and many others will most likely miss out on perhaps what looks to be one of the most funnest games ever on a Wii system

I agree, and what makes it worse is that the game uses a card scanning feature as well which requires a DSi, as well as you needing the cards themselves which I'm amusing they sell in packs just like a normal TGC. I really want this game.

You aint wrong, just look at the epic opening the game has!

That is MEGA!