Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Kanji Phrases

Eddage

Ok guys I need your help...

Basically I was hoping that some of you might be able to tell me how accurate the following Kanji is...

captureef0.jpgcapture2cf5.jpg

The one on the left is apparently "Be born again, start life afresh, be reincarnated" and the second "Living only for (the pleasures of) the moment"

Thanks for any help!

I hate when this kind of coincidences happen! It's so freaky!

I've been playing around with My Japanese Coach for DS and I'm really into it, nice little piece of software. But I have had a question about Japanese for ages and now it popped out again, I've searched for it in the interwebs without success and I didn't want to create a thread here, and then this appears!

As for my question, how do they say Portuguese? I know American is Amerikajin etc. but I haven't found a table around with the list for each country.

tl:dr, How do I say Portuguese/Portugal in Japanese?

Sorry for the small hijack Eddage.

For a tattoo? Becareful, as though you are looking for a meaningful sentence, often one kanji character has many meanings on its own, and adding it with another creates something different.

For example, my kanji tattoos, in my mind read: "truth (and) Courage" as two seperate characters (truth, courage). But my Japanese friends read it as one phrase saying: "True Hero" or "True Bravery"... Basically True Courage.

So if it is for a tattoo, I say just go with individual characters rather than forming sentences. You could easily get screwed over.

For a tattoo? Becareful, as though you are looking for a meaningful sentence, often one kanji character has many meanings on its own, and adding it with another creates something different.

For example, my kanji tattoos, in my mind read: "truth (and) Courage" as two seperate characters (truth, courage). But my Japanese friends read it as one phrase saying: "True Hero" or "True Bravery"... Basically True Courage.

So if it is for a tattoo, I say just go with individual characters rather than forming sentences. You could easily get screwed over.

Well that's why I wanted to check before jumping in! I didn't put these together though, I found them on a website so I'm presuming they are at least partially accurate, was just hoping someone would be able to confirm they say what they should.

Ayup, ポルトガル looks right.

Regarding the initial question: what you've posted is either in Chinese (either traditional or simplified, I'm afraid I don't know much Chinese), meaning that the characters are hanzi rather than kanji, or it's completely meaningless. From a Japanese perspective, they're just odd sequences of characters, only some of which carry (a relatively random) meaning. But then a fair bit of Chinese looks like this from a Japanese perspective.

Or get them done in English, so it makes sense for everyone.

But then it might just look stupid.