N-Europe

Your 5 Reasons why the Wii is great

Falcon_BlizZACK

Because it's a terrible reason to justify a console. It's like being a celebrity just for being a celebrity.

Nintendo's first consoles, and anyone's for that matter, were good for what they were, not who made them. If something is being justified as good by who made it, and not what it IS, then I do not see that is a very good or sound reason. What if Nintendo just make a crap console, then another, then keep on making them, will the fact it's Nintendo really be good enough? I feel I'm not articulating my point well enough, but I just think it's a terrible reason for why the Wii is great, it also means it'd be less great were it made by someone else, surely? Tell me something about the Wii, not that name stamped on the front.

(I guess it's worth pointing out as it'll probably get brought up, I was dissappointed with what I saw of both Zelda and Mario on Wii, two of the defining 'Nintendo' franchises. I haven't played MP3 though, but that's cos MP2 just let me down compared to the first)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You might be disapointed, although someone who's disapointed in Galaxy is past the point of no return, but there's no denying they make fantastic games. Lots of people already stated reasons beyond brand to justify, but brand in this case does justify. Your hypothetical reasoning doesn't really apply here.

What if Nintendo just make a crap console, then another, then keep on making them, will the fact it's Nintendo really be good enough?

But the point here is that the odds of Nintendo making a crap console, giving the evidence of its history, are close to nil.

Worries me a bit how many people in this thread list 'Nintendo' as a reason for the Wii being great...

Sorry to hear that. Is there anything we can do to calm your worries?

Nobody's going to beat around the bush and try and be totally objective about everything. One of the main reasons Wii is great is down to Nintendo. Whether it be consistent innovation, or that simply their own games are always of a high quality. What's not to understand?

Oh why, oh why? A Wii thread made for purely positive reasons just HAS to get negative. I'm as pessimistic as the next Joe but this thread was JUST about the things you like about the Wii; didn't have to include the things you didn't like, if you couldn't make five reasons - fair enough - but end it there and move on.

If you want to get something off your chest, hit the 'New Thread' button. Not in my house! :p

My reasons are as follow:

1) The games

For me, Gamecube was a huge disappointment. A few, standout games which even then, merely felt like N64 games but with better graphics, but otherwise, there was nothing. Games like Mario Kart, Mario Tennis, Starfox - all better on the 64 beforehand. However, on Wii, most games I've played have been awesome. Mario Galaxy is the greatest Mario game ever in my opinion. Smash Bros Brawl is also excellent, and I'm still playing it, whereas Melee had me bored in weeks (bear in mind I played the 64 original for more than 3000 hours). Also, innovative additions to games such as Mario Kart, where I can use the Wii wheel and finally play it online, make for great gaming! Even the more casual titles such as Sports and Wii Play have a special charm. Nintendo have always been renowned for their games and here is where I think they prove that they're one of, if not the best!

2) Hardware

I can live without fancy graphics. Saying that, graphics on Wii can still be pretty awesome. I just like how the machine looks, controls really do add a lot more depth, be it fighting Ganondorf in Zelda or just browsing through the Nintendo Channel. My only minor gripe is the lack of memory :(

3) Channels

Such a nifty idea - I love being able to browse the net without leaving the room, or watching trailers for new games and even reading the news from time to time. It's new, it's different! I think things like the Mii Contest Channel just add a bit of fun to the mix and give a greater sense of community, despite the limited online connectivity of Wii.

VC

I'm a 64 nut, so being able to replay old games without having to hook everything else back up and even experience games I never had the chance to play (Sin and Punishment ftw baby!), is heaven. I'm also getting into the NES stuff a bit too, as my time with this console was rather limited as a child! If only I had more money! I'm also loving new Wiiware titles, there's really some cool stuff out there - beating my French housemate at TV Show King in French was classic and will stay with me for some time!

5) Online

Now don't get me wrong, the online side of things on the Wii is actually pretty dreadful when it comes to it's UI and ease-of-use but the ability to play some classic franchises online is magical. Sure Brawl is laggy as hell and I get mad when it is, but hell, I'm playing new people all the time at it, something I never go to do before! Plus Mario Kart Wii online is just God. Even my housemate loves it, and he indulges in gaming rarely!

1. Nintendo games Though their new brand of software might not be to everyones liking, there is no denying that their core franchise's have still got it and I still look forward to seeing what's still to come after experiencing some of the best core offerings that have already been released.

2. Virtual Console Heralding the return of many classics as well as the introduction of unreleased gems such as Sin and Punishment which is now getting a sequel thanks to it's newly founded sucess in European and U.S teritories; truly though there are many great titles out there still to come.

3. Wii Ware Partly amazing and partly average, while we have seen many new and exciting titles via Nintendo's new service there are also quite a few naff titles too but hopefully the ratio will even out in favour of quality over quantity; nonetheless Wii Ware is an excellent compliment to the Wii's arsenal.

4. Motion Plus At the moment the Wii still represents a lot of untapped potential, yes the basic concept of motion control was pretty amazing at launch but this feeling quickly diminished as many ports simply replaced the waggle of sticks to the waving of a remote; to it's credit though there are many games that have utilised the Wii's current capabilites effectively and hopefully we will see a rebalance of quality over quantity somewhere down the line with the introduction of motion plus and of course better games.

5. It's a Wii! Drastically different from the competition, I bought a Wii for completely different reasons to what I purchased a 360 / PS3 for and while it's true that atm the 360 still has the strongest line-up and is my current console of choice I am still hopeful that the Wii will grab my attention once more and restore some sense of equilibrium where my gaming habits across all three platforms are concerned; basically I want more reasons to play it more often.

So those are my five :) despite my Wii currently collecting more dust than interest I am still really hopeful for it's future and with a slew of titles slated for 2009 maybe next year will be the year when we see what Wii is truly capable of.

just to side tracka little, i can see where rummy is coming from, saying "its nintendo" as a plus seems a little bit like blind faith. but this IS a nintendo theamed forum, most of the people here (myself included) have an affinity to nintendo that isnt necicarily logical. I see it abit like supporting a football team (or what I imagine that to be like) you love the team, reguardless of how well they do.

with that in mind i'll add reason owning a wii is great number six

6) Even when they do stupid things, you have to love nintendo.

Because it's a terrible reason to justify a console. It's like being a celebrity just for being a celebrity.

Nintendo's first consoles, and anyone's for that matter, were good for what they were, not who made them. If something is being justified as good by who made it, and not what it IS, then I do not see that is a very good or sound reason. What if Nintendo just make a crap console, then another, then keep on making them, will the fact it's Nintendo really be good enough? I feel I'm not articulating my point well enough, but I just think it's a terrible reason for why the Wii is great, it also means it'd be less great were it made by someone else, surely? Tell me something about the Wii, not that name stamped on the front.

(I guess it's worth pointing out as it'll probably get brought up, I was dissappointed with what I saw of both Zelda and Mario on Wii, two of the defining 'Nintendo' franchises. I haven't played MP3 though, but that's cos MP2 just let me down compared to the first)

I'm sorry but you're not making any sense! You're point just doesn't make sense, and I don't think it's because you're not articulating yourself. Nintendo, every generation, have the best catlogue of games from one development house; it's huge of amazing titlles; titles which are part of a lot of peoples favourite franchises. Most of these will be on the Wii. How is this not a valid reason not to have Nintendo being a major reason the Wii is great!??!

Anyway, I've already done my 5; but I'll 5 of the more random reasons the Wii is great.

1. Opening doors in Metroid Prime 3

2. Zooming in with the sniper on MoH: H 2

3. Mii's in games

4. Bunjie Buddies

5. The power you feel playing Force Unleashed

Oh why, oh why? A Wii thread made for purely positive reasons just HAS to get negative. I'm as pessimistic as the next Joe but this thread was JUST about the things you like about the Wii; didn't have to include the things you didn't like, if you couldn't make five reasons - fair enough - but end it there and move on.

If you want to get something off your chest, hit the 'New Thread' button. Not in my house! :p

Indeed, King has actually created a thread of love, let's not bring dark feelings into here!

Haha, Bungie Buddies IS pretty awesome yes. Warioware on the whole is genius from the bits I've played. The dancing one is pretty hilarious too lol. There's one damn good reason the Wii is good, it's fun.

Anyway, I didn't mean to come in here and say the Wii is bad(sure I have my own gripes with it, but I DID offer my positives and I DO understand why people like it). I just feel justifying it as good because of who made it is silly(now I think, is it the essence of fanboy?), and this isn't something limited to just the Wii, consoles, or games. It's like liking a person just because you know who their brother or father is(or sister or mother, not sexist here!).

Someone mentioned generations of Nintendo consoles, I'd point to the N64 and ask people to name me the best games from it(unbiased people with no knowledge of this discussion), I'd be willing to bet at least 50% of the list will be comprised of Rare games. Where are Rare now? Do people rant and rave about the games they're making now like they used to? I mean, they must be excellent games right, cos they're made by Rare! I also realise though, the name isn't being used solely as a justification, but more a sort of...I dunno, reference point? Saying that they still DO make great games. I guess my difference is also that I've lost some faith in the brand, and don't think as highly of it as I used to(I believe Nintendo are capable of much more from my past expeirence, so now I feel dissappointed). I wasn't meaning to be negative as I said, I just thought it a silly way to justify a console. I bought the Wii on the basis it was a Nintendo console, a decision I now think somewhat silly as it has left me less impressed than I expected it to.

This is not to say the Wii is bad though. It's a case of either relative, or abosolutes. For some positives to balance my post; Two of the things I do like most about the Wii are backwards compatibility and VC as it means not having to dig out old consoles to play those games again, and also obtaining gems from the past that I may not have got to experience(such as Mario RPG, the fact the Wii can now bring it to a European market is awesome). I think it's also good that it appeals to a wider market and is somewhat more friendly than the other consoles, it appeals to more people, it can be experienced by alot more people. However, I guess some of the reasons given aren't of much benefit to me, that's all.

I'm sorry but you're not making any sense! You're point just doesn't make sense, and I don't think it's because you're not articulating yourself. Nintendo, every generation, have the best catlogue of games from one development house; it's huge of amazing titlles; titles which are part of a lot of peoples favourite franchises. Most of these will be on the Wii. How is this not a valid reason not to have Nintendo being a major reason the Wii is great!??!

Anyway, I've already done my 5; but I'll 5 of the more random reasons the Wii is great.

1. Opening doors in Metroid Prime 3

2. Zooming in with the sniper on MoH: H 2

3. Mii's in games

4. Bunjie Buddies

5. The power you feel playing Force Unleashed

Great idea. All i can think of now are:

1. Using Link's Bow with the remote -

It just feels so natural and too precise to be true. Also loved the little sound effect for the bow string. (and the way Link narrows his eyes to aim).

2. Switching from 2D to 3D in Super Paper Mario -

Can't actually remember how it was done again but I liked that.

You pressed the A button. xD

I can remember lots of game specific reasons, aiming in TP like you said, using the "slingshots" in Galaxy, the items in Zack & Wiki, Kamehame in Tenkaichi 3, aiming in MP3, awesome drifts in Excite Truck, swinging a lightsaber in Force Unleashed and so on :P

Someone mentioned generations of Nintendo consoles, I'd point to the N64 and ask people to name me the best games from it(unbiased people with no knowledge of this discussion), I'd be willing to bet at least 50% of the list will be comprised of Rare games. Where are Rare now? Do people rant and rave about the games they're making now like they used to? I mean, they must be excellent games right, cos they're made by Rare!

But if we look at this from an empiric point (not that a game should be evaluated like this), Nintendo games keep a consistent line of good games while Rare has its slumps. In fact Rare's more weak period coincides with it leaving Nintendo along with other team problems.

I guess until Nintendo shows us a 1:1 ratio of good games to bad games, we're still keeping it as a good reason to own a Nintendo console. And lets face it, Nintendo games alone have supported generations of its consoles, as it happened with N64 and Gamecube, people who bought one of this consoles surely weren't expecting many third party games. So, the reason "It's Nintendo" alone could be enough reason to buy a Nintendo console.

It just feels so natural and too precise to be true. Also loved the little sound effect for the bow string. (and the way Link narrows his eyes to aim).

I have one of those.

3.Doing the finishing move in No More Heroes with motion controls.

Have you not played Wario Ware :D

Played: yes, own: no. So I reckon I haven't played that particular mini game. :heh:

Anyway, why is the Wii great...? (In no particular order.)

1. The VC/ Wiiware/ backwards compatibility. We'll overlook the matter of having to clear the fridge because the VC means I can have the DKC trilogy right there on the front page, ready to rock at any time. You can't ask for more than that... well you could but Nintendo already have it covered as there is a vast array of non-Nintendo console games to download too. Oh and yeah, they are gradually releasing the likes of Mario RPG and other games over here, at last. Immense. Then there's Wiiware! Original games that can be downloaded? Fantastic. And you can play GC games on the Wii too? They have all the bases covered.

2. The pointer.

Its such a simple thing, but isn't it so natural once you try it out? Even for navigating menu's and stuff, it puts you right in control. Its also brought a rebirth in the arcade shooter and the point and click genres. :hehe:

3. Touch Generation

I'm gonna apply this to a wide array of games. You keep hearing people say about how the Wii has refreshed gaming as a whole for them, I can't say exactly what my gaming stance would be if the N5 was a PS360 style machine, but I do know that I've been buying games on the Wii that I normally would have overlooked. Endless Ocean, the Rabbids, de Blob, Zack and Wiki and others... even Wii Sports and Wii Play. Normally, these games would sound like absolute bollocks, but on the Wii they fit in perfectly with the philosophy of gaming for fun and trying out something new. Nice touch.

4. Gaming with Momma and others

Its true, people I know and knew would have had no interest in playing the GC other than a brief bit of Mario Party and Warioware, and it was always me that suggested it. With the Wii, people actually WANT to play of their own accord. Unheard of up until nowadays. Call me casual if you want, but it is fun to play some Wii Sports and Wii Play with mumsy.

5. Nintendo are back on top

Its been tough to watch how things have spiralled for Nintendo since the end of the Snes days. The quality games still came on the N64 and GC (which is all that matters at the end of the day) but it was still painful to watch the Playstation take over. Gaming used to be synonymous with "playing Nintendo" no matter what console you were playing... after years of people renaming it "playing Playstation," its good for the Wii to be such a strong brand, that its put Nintendo back in everyone's pre-frontal cortex. (Thank you, Kawashima. :bowdown: )

Because all the other thread where anyone's said anything bad about the Wii has become locked. What's wrong with having ONE thread where people can talk about the Wiis shortcomings?

When People put down Nintendo they probably mean their 1st party games. Mario, Zelda, and Metroid are reason enough for a console to be great.

Also, I'd recommend you try MP3, its way better than 2 and a lot of people would even put it above one. It fixes almost all of the series' flaws.

Because all the other thread where anyone's said anything bad about the Wii has become locked. What's wrong with having ONE thread where people can talk about the Wiis shortcomings?

Because a lot other folks turn every thread that's not game specific into a Wii-hate thread, not a civilized discussion about it's shortcoming and eventually it gets out of hand and needs to be locked. Not to mention that these shortcomings were already repeated dozens and dozens of times and will keep popping up at the slightest opportunity. This is not such a thread.

Great thread and much needed.

Virtual Console

I would have bought the Wii for this alone. Being numerically large in age, I've had an absolute blast playing games that I last played looking *up* at a TV screen. In fact, I'd have bought the Wii for Streets of Rage alone.

Controller

I welcome new gaming experiences with open arms. I love the fact that on the Wii, I am playing groundbreaking games nearly every day.

Reliability

True of every Nintendo console I have bought. I have never had to return one.

Sex Appeal

You should see the women fall over me when I tell them I have a Wii.

The name 'Wii'

Contrary to the whole of the internet, I loved the name when it was announced. I still love it. It's simple, original and the butt of a million bad jokes. It always amazes me how the name of a product can make such a difference.

OK, I might have been telling a white lie about one of those reasons. See if you can guess which!

1) Playing Nintendo games online.

I know the service has its problems and its unusual quirks, but playing Nintendo games online is a mjor plus. Just not that interested in other games played online. [Don't hate me 360/PS3 owners.]

2) One handed controllers. And the wiimote simplicity.

I know that there are twelve billion attachments but for the few games that only need the single wiimote tend to be my favourites. (Hand free to snack or drink.)

3) Pick up and play games.

I am also an aged gamer and have very little gaming time. Didn't think I would ever want it but there you are. Wiiware also good for this.

4) Unexpected good games.

Never happened in the N64 and GC eras to me but the following games came out of the blue and were actually fun for me: [Endless Ocean, Links Crossbow Training, Bomberman on Wiiware...]

5) Quietness.

Someone said that they thought it was the loudest console they have owned. Not me. Louder than a cart based console but still pretty quiet. The wife won't allow a 360 in the house due to noise.