Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Smacking Ban

Strider

Do you agree with people smacking children?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with people smacking children?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you see the pattern here? You all presume kids are stupid and evil per definition. It's all about upbringing. And frankly, in my opinion, many parents are the ones who don't understand shit today.

I didn't say all kids. I'm talking about when they're really young, thus they can't understand words on the whole.

A great method of controlling unruly boys they used back in victorian times, and to a lesser extent today, is petticoat punishment. Just dress them up as little girls, gets all the fight out of them and they are much more compliant.

You learn something new every day. That's bloody genius, though.

Honestly, they shouldn't ban smacking. It's a last resort kind of thing. If the kids keep disobeying time after time, or if they do something really bad, something equally serious is needed.

Of course, there's child abuse, but there are laws againt that already.

No they shouldn't ban it.

Why? Because the problem children aren't the ones who have been smacked, they are the ones that get no discipline.

To people who are saying that there are better ways of smacking, that may be so, and that's your decision. But it's up to a parent to decide what they believe best for their child.

I was as a child, but not hard, just hard enough to know that I shouldn't be doing whatever I was doing. I've turned out fine, I'm not violent and don't go out stabbing pensioners for pocket change. I agree with it providing the kids aren't being beaten to a bloody pulp. I don't really think banning it will do anything positive though, they should be looking to sterilise chavs, really.

Is punching ok?

Smacking is not entirely necessary, but is a good option.

Danny boy, kids ARE animals. It takes them time do develop their brain and even conciousness. Of course it depends of their age, but by 5 they should know that a smack means the parents are really pissed.

I was smacked as a kid, I believe that it has actually had a positive effect on my personality. I'm a great guy haha

I don't believe in beating a child up, for obvious reasons but a smack on the bum is fine in my books.

When I have children, in fact even with my little brothers/cousin's children I just have to look at them in a certain way or if I had to, I would shout and they would get a fright and do as they were told.

I would never smack but just because I wouldn't do it doesn't mean I would look down on other people who do. If it works for you then do it within reason, there is no need to ban smacking.

You clearly don't get the point here ...

I still find violence wrong. No matter how you put it, I still find it wrong.

When I was in year 8 one of my friends used to get bullied on the school bus home. Now this kid was quite a big bully. Always hung around with a gang of people intimidating others. One day as me friend was about to get off of the bus, this kid starts bullying him, so my friend turns round and punches the guy in the face. After that the guy was always friendly with my friend and even with me. And I hardly ever saw him bully anyone again.

I get what your point is, I just disagree.

No, you don't. You know stabbing is wrong. Children don't. You can't teach children till a certain age what is right and wrong. You just keep them from doing it.

I think we need to make clear that there is a difference between babies/toddlers and from about age 5 and up. Babies/toddlers are not old enough to be taught what is right and wrong. But they're so young that they're easily influenced without the need for violence.

When they get older, you begin to teach them WHY something is wrong, slowly buolding their moral grounds. Smacking only teaches them fear, which isn't the same as respect. Children should have a good relationship with their parents. Respect is what drives a well-functioning society. Fear is what drives a dictatorship.

I hate going to extremes like this, but it seems I have to to explain what I mean.

When I was in year 8 one of my friends used to get bullied on the school bus home. Now this kid was quite a big bully. Always hung around with a gang of people intimidating others. One day as me friend was about to get off of the bus, this kid starts bullying him, so my friend turns round and punches the guy in the face. After that the guy was always friendly with my friend and even with me. And I hardly ever saw him bully anyone again.

Fighting fire with fire? Not the way to go. Force only ups resistance and it escalates. Sure, maybe it works in some lucky cases, but imagine if the bully had gotten mad - one way ticket to the hospital.

You wish to bubblewrap them? But they're so curious!

Sorry, but would you mind trying to explain instead of being sarcastic? I really don't see your point.

I think we need to make clear that there is a difference between babies/toddlers and from about age 5 and up. Babies/toddlers are not old enough to be taught what is right and wrong. But they're so young that they're easily influenced without the need for violence.

I wouldn't hit a baby/toddler. And yes I would teach them what right and wrong are. But children toe the line. And sometimes they won't listen. Smacking would be used as a last resort. But they need to know that there is a greater punishment for going too far.

I wouldn't hit a baby/toddler. And yes I would teach them what right and wrong are. But children toe the line. And sometimes they won't listen. Smacking would be used as a last resort. But they need to know that there is a greater punishment for going too far.

I know I'll get attacked severely for this, but I believe that if brought up properly, kids wouldn't behave in a way that was bad enough to require hitting them. Hitting is just the ultimate sign of giving up. It shows you can't bring up your children without fear.

That's how I see it. You see it differently. But none of us really have the experience needed, have we? None of us have tried to bring up a child from scratch.

Fighting fire with fire? Not the way to go. Force only ups resistance and it escalates. Sure, maybe it works in some lucky cases, but imagine if the bully had gotten mad - one way ticket to the hospital.

Force escalates I agree with, but I can't see it happening with a kid, assuming they keep upping the disobedience.

I assume you're a fan of incarceration then?

Sorry, but would you mind trying to explain instead of being sarcastic? I really don't see your point.

If you take away the last sentence, that's about it.

I think as a last resort, if your child is behaving in such a way that it's out of control then yes I don't see anything wrong in doing it. I was smacked as a child, but only on rare occasions when I was being a complete dick. The only thing is, I'm sure it has adverse effects on the relationship between the child and the parent doing the smacking later on in development.

Force escalates I agree with, but I can't see it happening with a kid, assuming they keep upping the disobedience.

I assume you're a fan of incarceration then?

If you take away the last sentence, that's about it.

Incarceration, as in imprisonment? Well, I wouldn't say I'm a fan of any type of punishment, and the preemptive effect isn't as effective as we could have wished. Which is why people need to be taught why doing something is wrong, not just be scared away from doing it. They don't learn anything from that.

By your last sentence, I assume you mean I'm being sarcastic instead of explaining myself? But I have explained myself. A toddler doesn't know what is right and wrong. It's human nature to be curious. But a toddler is too young to be taught what is right and wrong, ergo we need to keep them away from doing bad stuff until they're old enough to understand. You, on the other hand, should know why curiousity isn't even near being an excuse for stabbing someone.

Dependant on how you word it effects peoples oppinions.

Do you think its right to smack a child?

Do you think its right to hit a child?

Do you think its right to slap a child?

Personally i think a light slap/smack is aqcceptable, but the line of acceptable and unacceptable is very fine.

People have different oppinions on what is too hard and what isnt ahrd enough, ive seen kids cry after the softest tap ever and children not evenflicker an eye lid after an all out smack.

Ifelt more sorry for the child in tears personally.

I think as a last resort, if your child is behaving in such a way that it's out of control then yes I don't see anything wrong in doing it. I was smacked as a child, but only on rare occasions when I was being a complete dick. The only thing is, I'm sure it has adverse effects on the relationship between the child and the parent doing the smacking later on in development.

And that's exactly the point. It's not good for the relationship between the parents and the child. The child should learn to respect its parents, not fear them.

And if it's a last resort, like I said, it's the ultimate act of surrender.

Thing is, it's all the extremes.

I agreed, since there've been loads of times I would gladly have slapped digusting children. (And by children, I mean like 9+, so they know what they're doing)

On very young children, I think it's innapropriate, but yeah.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!