NEurope
Tellyn

Another Code: R, Gateway of Memory ** MARK SPOILERS!**

@Start/Select, How come you got a copy of the game a week before its release date? oh well. I’ve got 2 questions for you.

1. I know that the Japanese version has a reversible box art (like the new play control games) it is also the case with the European version? (if so could you please make a photo or so)

2. The makers of the game stated in an interview that the game is best played on a big TV, but are there any noticeable jaggies?

1: I haven't actually checked... I didn't realise the japanese version had that. When I get a chance I'll have a look see and snap you guys a photo

2: I've been playing this on my 32inch Samsung and I have no real gripes with the graphics at all. Nothing looks jaggy persay, it actually looks good and is visually quite nice for a Wii game. What I will say is that when in conversations, the screen in split in half for each character just like Hotel Dusk on the DS. It's nothing major it just makes me feel like I'm playing on a DS :indeed:

Played about 5 hours of it yesterday, looking forward to spending some more time with it too.

you know what really bugs me about Nintendo. The commercials, every time I see a Wii commercial its about Wii sports and Wii fit. Never about (semi) real gamers games.

Take disaster day of crisis as an example, the commercial did not show any game play only cgi. And the commercials always are a week before the release date, so there is almost no time to build up a hype or spread the word about the game. I really think that is the primary reason why new franchises flop on the Wii.

Same with another code R, they don’t even try to market it. The game will be released next week and I still have to see a commercial on TV(or magazines).

Yesterday I went to some stores in my neighbourhood, and asked if they will be selling Another code R, And they did not know what it was.

If I remember correctly there where far more commercials/advertisement in the “GameCube†era.

I played through the original Another Code on DS for the first time there at the weekend, finding it short but very sweet- as I posted in the handheld board. I'd been keeping an eye on Game to see if they would drop their asking price for AC: R from £39.99 to £29.99 (or lower!) and this morning I noticed they did just that... so its pre-ordered. :grin:

Looks cool.

Have you had much more time playing Another Code, then? Any ideas on how long it takes to complete- or even a rough estimation of how long an average play through would take?

I'd had a lot of time with Another Code R, I think I'm near the end and I've put about 15 hours into it give or take two for mindless wandering and being stuck on puzzles.

I'll be posting a review of the game in the next 48 hours or so.

I'd had a lot of time with Another Code R, I think I'm near the end and I've put about 15 hours into it give or take two for mindless wandering and being stuck on puzzles.

Nice, look forward to reading your full impressions then!

The IGN UK review is up and I've just been reading it, here's some info:

Cing has again completely reinvented its exploration interface to suit the Another Code: R's native hardware. Gone is the stylus-centric overhead navigation of the DS game – instead, outdoors, you follow the action entirely along a 2D plane, the camera keeping Ashley centre-screen at all times. As you approach pathways branching in or out of screen, they're clearly highlighted by yellow boundaries around your feet – select your destination and the camera swings back to your side.

Inside it's a similarly minimalist – yet equally practical – approach to exploration. Rather than being given the option to move freely around a room, Ashley stands pivoted in the centre and you pan the camera around her in one of four direction. In a smart move designed to avoid frustrating pixel-hunts of old, items that can be examined are grouped together at first – highlighted in yellow as you pass your cursor around the screen – but split into individual objects as you select to take a closer look.

Puzzles, too, demonstrate Cing in peak creative form when it comes to exploiting platform hardware in ways you'd never imagined possible. Anyone who remembers being dazzled by Two Memories' astonishing print-press moment will likely thrill at the bewildering uses the Wii Remote is put to throughout Another Code: R.

Wonder what they've got in store for us with the puzzles. :hehe:

All in all, they score it an 8.0/10. The only negative points that came through were the way you can only pick up items once you have found a use for them, and maybe some puzzles are a bit too out there.

Looks cool.

..it does :smile: ..but why on earth did they insist on putting that 'Mystery Novel' stickery type thing on the cover :mad:

sorry to bother you, but have you checked if another code R has a dual boxart (like NPC! games)?

My copy is packing atm, hopefully due to be sent today, between this and Tales of Vesperia, it's gonna be a busy week for me gaming-wise. ^^

^ damn. Forgot about Tales of Vesperia. :shakehead Looks like it'll be a busy weekend for me aswell with this and that.

After tomorrow at work I'm off on holiday for a bit so it's gonna be a busy week of gaming for me. \O/

Can't wait to play AC:R eets been years since I played the original and at the time I loved it so this should be all the more awesome.

Eddddeeeeet

Posted! :yay:

Nice review S/S I agree with it mostly but not with the lack of voice acting, I think if they had tried to add it, the results would have been either passable or really bad so I'm glad they left it out tbh, too many games are voiced badly these days and rely little on reading skills at all but the AC games buck that trend and so for that I think the game should be praised, not chastised Imo.

Other than that, it's a pretty thorough and solid review. :)

I guess the original EU trailer for the game set me up for a game with voice acting so I was dissapointed to not see it in the game. Glad you enjoyed the read ;)

Oh yeah the trailer was pretty "epic" for AC but I still didn't expect voice acting tbh, besides I already have my own idea of what Ashley sounds like in my head from playing the original DS game. :)

good review Start/select.

It also stuns me that this is the first 1st/2nd party game that did not get any advertising on tv/magazines.

ANd if they market a game in the "Wii" era, its mostly 2 weeks before release, whats your take on that?

I think that it doesnt matter for established franshises like resident evil, but for unknown franshises like another code and disaster day of crysis its bad. And i think thats the main reason that most new games flop.

Oh yeah the trailer was pretty "epic" for AC but I still didn't expect voice acting tbh, besides I already have my own idea of what Ashley sounds like in my head from playing the original DS game. :)

I see what you mean. For example, I wouldn't expect the next Zelda game to include voice acting because I think we all have our own interpretations of how Link would talk but then again Zelda doesn't exactly have a heavy emphasis on reading and conversations whereas Another Code: R does. I think it depends on the gamer and I just felt AC:R could have benefitted from it.

Personally, I am slightly disappointed in the lack of voice work in the game, but it's not a deal breaker. I think I've been spoiled by the likes of other Point and Click titles on the Wii, such as Broken Sword and Secret Files, where everything is voiced and while there were some problems with the voices and constant changing volume of them in those games, the work was pretty decent so it wouldn't have been hard to put in a competent set of voiceovers. But as I said, it's not a deal breaker for me because I loved the first one and can't wait to play this. Those other titles that I mentioned have got me in the mood for more point and click titles so I'm really geared up for this.

Got AC: R in today and have given it a little play time there now since I got home. Initial impressions are the graphics are good and done in a really nice style, but its stuck in letterbox mode on my TV as it must be a 16:9 only title. The options don't seem to have any screen settings hidden away so old skool with borders it'll have to be.

Another thing I noticed is Ashley's birthday. On the DS she had the shared my birthday but now on the Wii its just the 25th February... boo! And Richard seems like a right old tosspot. After being reunited with Ashley in the first game he's just took off again for the past two years? Uncool.

Oh and, Marcel, the cover isn't reversible. :)

Got AC: R in today and have given it a little play time there now since I got home. Initial impressions are the graphics are good and done in a really nice style, but its stuck in letterbox mode on my TV as it must be a 16:9 only title. The options don't seem to have any screen settings hidden away so old skool with borders it'll have to be.

Another thing I noticed is Ashley's birthday. On the DS she had the shared my birthday but now on the Wii its just the 25th February... boo! And Richard seems like a right old tosspot. After being reunited with Ashley in the first game he's just took off again for the past two years? Uncool.

Oh and, Marcel, the cover isn't reversible. :)

to bad, because of the ugly blue sticker like thingy. It makes it sound like a boring book.

Didn't know this was out today until I noticed the banner. I'll buy it when I'm done with Tales of Vesperia.

Sounds like a poor review tbf, don't worry though, at least here at N-E we will give it a fair review, in similar style of our recent Let's Tap review.

Edit - just read Eurogamers review and I don't think much of it at all... :/

------------------------------

I've only played this for a few hours so far but I'm allready enjoying it, the original was awesome and this is basically a similar sequel but with a much larger scope.

------------------------------

Ok... I'm stuck :(

How do you enter a "3" on the Wii remote to unlock the door? *feels a tad stupid*

Anyone know the answer?