N-Europe

Business Grants For Women

Kirkatronics

The government has set asside £10,000,000 just for female entrepeneurs.

Personally i think this is wrong. People protested for equal rights, not head starts. Loans or business grants should be based on the individuals abbilities and circumstances, not gender.

A £10 million fund has been established which will finance loans, training and mentoring for aspiring female entrepreneurs.

Networking community Enterprising Women is offering its members the chance to apply loans of up to £30,000 from the fund, which has been set up in partnership with Lloyds TSB with the aim of helping women make the most of their business ideas.

Bev Hurley, chief executive officer of the company behind Enterprising Women, remarks that women often take a more cautious approach towards risk and debt than men. Another challenge faced by both male and female entrepreneurs is formulating a realistic business plan, she adds.

Hurley says: 'Many entrepreneurs ... still don't robustly test and validate their business plan against ... commercial reality. Lack of knowledge about the challenges, costs and timescales of getting customer revenues can lead to struggling and unsustainable businesses.’

The UK government-backed Women's Business Development Agency says that encouraging women to found their own firms is 'vitally important' for the economy.

Man you people are pessimistic and negative. The government tries to do something to get people (or more specifically, women) to start businesses again and you guys complain about it. Seriously. :indeed:

Yeah damn right eenuh! This should be encouraged! Maybe women feel it harder to get on the "business ladder" so therefore need a bit of help..

And it encourages the economy.

Whats wrong with hairdressers anyway? If they are a viable business there shouldnt be an issue. Plus more hairdressers = more competition and hopefully cheaper prices.

Man you people are pessimistic and negative. The government tries to do something to get people (or more specifically, women) to start businesses again and you guys complain about it. Seriously. :indeed:

Yeah damn right eenuh! This should be encouraged! Maybe women feel it harder to get on the "business ladder" so therefore need a bit of help..

And it encourages the economy.

Whats wrong with hairdressers anyway? If they are a viable business there shouldnt be an issue. Plus more hairdressers = more competition and hopefully cheaper prices.

Because it's sexist. If this was aimed at men only then there would be an uproar. You wouldn't agree with it.

I think everyone's gripe is that in the midst of an economic crisis, budding female businesspeople are the only people getting government support.

I think everyone's gripe is that in the midst of an economic crisis, budding female businesspeople are the only people getting government support.

I'm just getting annoyed at how people (here) are always complaining about things being sexist as soon as it benefits women more than men.

Plus it's likely most of these women starting a business will have a partner as well who will thus profit from it too.

Just try and be a bit more positive about things instead of always complaining.

I think the problem is that an entrepreneur is an enterprising person who sees an opportunity and goes after it. To be successful requires the taking of risks and good initiative, so to set up a fund that is only accessible by women as they tend to be more risk averse seems a bit... odd.

Having said that, no doubt women have more trouble than men in gaining financial backing as whilst casual sexism isn't very prevalent in our generation, those in a position to fund the businesses of others are more likely to be middle-aged men of a different era. And at the end of the day new businesses are new businesses.

So this is a good thing, but I can see why some people might react badly to it.

I'm just getting annoyed at how people (here) are always complaining about things being sexist as soon as it benefits women more than men.

Plus it's likely most of these women starting a business will have a partner as well who will thus profit from it too.

Well this implys that women can't run a business without special help so surely this is degrading to women.

Women have a different social situation to men, especially ones with kids. Not demeaning at all. o_o

Well I have a different social situation to you or the person down the street but that wont affect a business grant in this situation unless they have a xx chromosome.

If children are the issue then it should be grants for business women with children, i dont have problem with that. The government probably just saw some statistic which says the majority of business people are men and thought they could solve the problem by throwing money at it, which is necessarily the solution.

Which is exactly what many women do too.

See, if you said a men's partner would benefit from his work, many would interpret that as demeaning to women.

So you are saying you wouldn't be complaining if this was the other way around?

Women have a different social situation to men, especially ones with kids. Not demeaning at all. o_o

What about men with kids?

Generally speaking society is like this:

Sexism towards women: ZOMG UP IN ARMS! (on the scale of religious uproar)

Sexism towards men: No one give a shit.

Yes, thats exactly how it is. We live in an extremely female dominated society as much as women like to think its the other way...