NEurope
darksnowman

Favourite Remakes

Ok, so I got FF IV DS the other day, and playing through it I'm wondering if its the best remake of a game I've played yet. Though I'm hard pressed to think of any other remakes I own off the top of my head, lol.

So what are your favourite remakes of classic games? What games need remade? And what makes a successful remake...?

The only remake I have played is Metroid Zero Mission, and I found that to be pretty bad.

have you played the original metroid. If so you would realise it's a massive improvement

Would you say it was the worst remake in the world ever, hiyaz?

The only remake I have played is Metroid Zero Mission, and I found that to be pretty bad.

And yeah I have played the original metroid. Prefer it MUCH more.

hm.hmmhmmhm. um the only remake I have played is MGS twin snakes and I had never played the PSone original so does that count? Though can't say I liked the game

I can't say I've played many remakes, but I think Zero Mission is by far the best. In terms of pure gameplay, I can't think of a GBA game that can touch it.

Does Mario Allstars count - technically, the only thing different is the graphics since the games are identical in function to the originals. If so, they make playing the games again easier on the eyes at least.

Duh, how could I forget - in essence, you could argue that Starfox 64 is a remake, given that it was designed to replace the originals place in the series canon. If we include that, that's got to be right up there.

As to what makes a good remake, well, that intends on what the remake is for. Zero Mission was done to remove all the frustrating elements of the original (no map and obscene difficulty) - Mario Allstars was simply to give the older titles a chance to played by a newer consumer - SF64 was done because the technology at the time didn't allow for the original vision to be executed accordingly.

A remake should look to the original for inspiration and basic premise, but it should also address any fundamental flaws that were implemented. And passing them off in the remake as "gameplay quirks true to the original" doesn't cut it.

Metroid: Zero Mission and Pokemon FR/LG were my favorites. Both added so much to already awesome games.

The ones I remember playing:

-Metroid Zero Mission: Awesome

-Pokémon Fire Red/Leaf Green: I'll always enjoy the original Pokémon games more, but this remake(s) is pretty good.

-Sword of Mana (I think it's a remake): Not my type. Awesome music, though.

I've heard good things about that Tales of Destiny remake, and I'd love to play it. Too bad I can't understand Japanese.

Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes is a fantastic game, one of my favourites :smile:

Resident Evil 4 was already an awesome game on the Gamecube.. but the Wii Edition is even better (though I'm not sure if the inclusion of new controls really classifies as a remake..)

Resident Evil on the GC looked amazing when I played it for the first time, and would actually like to put it on right now to remind myself of what it is like. It was a lot better than Zero that's for sure..

I have Metroid Zero Mission, but I have not played that yet really.. and I haven't touched the original either..

If Mario Allstars counts, then I will say it is one of the best too as that game is brilliant :heh:

Metroid Zero Mission: Absolutely awesome. I've played the original but couldn't get very far.

Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes: Another awesome remake. I played it before the original, and I found the original to be unplayable when I did try it.

I think a good remake needs up-to-date graphics/audio as well as up-to-date gameplay (what I mean is to make things play smoother, such as using controls/gameplay elements from sequels or based on new, similar games).

agree with most that metroid zero mission is amounst the best remakes.

could hardly play the nes origional, via metroid prime, found it to confusing, with no proper map and the 8bit tectures were difficult to distinguish between, zero mession simply improved on all the faults, the added and excelent twist at the end, with zero suit and a final boss.

Two PC games I have played recently:

Maniac Mansion Deluxe - I never got into the original as I had already been spoilt by Day of the Tentacle, Sam and Max etc... Maniac Mansion just felt . . . clunky by comparison. Understandably, as it was the first SCUMM game. This is a high quality fan-made game.

Repton 3 - Classic BBC game revamped to include online scoring that you can buy cheaply from Superior Software. Brilliant value for money.

A good remake is one that takes a classic game that everyone loves, but which isn't playable any more, and makes the game enjoyable to existing and new fans alike.

Gaming remakes are great, because you can always make use of the extra horsepower. Plus you can improve controls. For instance, if an old 2D game didn't have diagonal firing or the ability to fire upwards/downwards whilst jumping, that sort of thing.

The best remake I've played is Metroid: Zero Mission. It's superb, probably the best handheld game I've played. I probably disagree with most people, though, in that I actually though the extra area bolted onto the end slightly lessened it. It completely changed the gameplay for a while, making the game a bit more inconsistent.

The other remake that springs to mind is Twin Snakes. Very good game, but not to my taste as much as Metroid (strong violence etc).

So, I would say improve graphics and controls, but be careful any additions don't ruin the game's overall form.

PS - I think Mario Allstars counts as a remake rather than a port, because it's one whole generation apart from the original games and has distinctly different graphics.

Things like Skies of Arcadia: Legends are more like special editions.

yeah but don't you think it's sad that they can't come up with new gameplay ideas and just remake the graphics instead of putting these remakes on a bonus disk?

yeah but don't you think it's sad that they can't come up with new gameplay ideas and just remake the graphics instead of putting these remakes on a bonus disk?

Well, to me, new ideas are for sequels. I don't mind paying for a remake (rather than it being a bonus), because the work on the graphics, controls and anything else that needs tidying-up is usually well worth the money.

Things like Skies of Arcadia: Legends are more like special editions.

More like Director's Cuts. Those things disgust me. It's the same game, with a few extras.

Unless, of course it's like Super Mario All-Stars. Improving 8-bit graphics is never bad. Those things hurt my eyes.

Best Re-makes

Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes

Worst Re-makes

Super Mario 64 DS - Why remake a classic and ruin it by adding new characters and stars.

More like Director's Cuts. Those things disgust me. It's the same game, with a few extras.

why do they disgust you mate? Most of these director's cuts are ports to other systems. It actually tells me that these people actually bothered when porting the game

Worst Re-makes

Super Mario 64 DS - Why remake a classic and ruin it by adding new characters and stars.

Imo I didn't think the extra stars and characters were the problem. The controls were. If the remake had analogue controls it would have easily bettered the original. Some of the extra stars and charaters gave some much needed difficulty to certain sections of the game and, I think the newer stages offered some graphical difference to the original which seemed to (in hindsight) re-use a lot of assets.

The fact that the outdoor "sunshine" stars and woodland levels weren't actually extended on was my biggest disapointment. I wanted MORE Mario64 :p

Worst re-makes ever were the DKC series on the GBA. For not stating that I nod my head in shame a Darksnowman!

Best remake was probably MGS: Twin Snakes. The amount of love in that title alone made the question every other remake since.

Worst re-makes ever were the DKC series on the GBA. For not stating that I nod my head in shame a Darksnowman!

Those abominations are best forgotten. Why should I bring them up? You know the pain and anguish that goes along with thinking about the DKC Trilogy on GBA. :( Shame on you for being the one who had to mention them! Do you consider them remakes then? In my mind they are just shoddy ports.

I think the DKC GBA games can't be considered as anything more than enhanced ports, and I use the word enhanced in the loosest possible sense.

But that does remind me of what games do need remaking...

The Donkey Kong Land series needs the full 16 bit makeover for release on the WiiWare channel (or give us a DS version since there doesn't seem to be a DKC4 in the works). They can use all the assets from the the original DKC trilogy and knock it up in double quick time, with minimum effort/cost, it would definitely sell and they only way it could go wrong is if they purposely set out to make a hash of it.

The levels may have been based on the their SNES counterpart titles, but there is more than enough variances to market it as the alternative DK trilogy.

I know I'd buy it.