63 members have voted

1. 1. North or South?

• North
    • South

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guessed, I may be wrong. Prove me wrong.

We've got a deceiving amount of Londoners here. They're very regular posters as well, which just confuses things. I don't know how we can prove this anyway, especially when people just put "England" in their location box. Unless we had some kind of almighty poll.

We've got a deceiving amount of Londoners here. They're very regular posters as well, which just confuses things. I don't know how we can prove this anyway, especially when people just put "England" in their location box. Unless we had some kind of almighty poll.

Well statistically there would be more southeners. Seeing as there are more southerners.

Letters

A clash of northern soul and southern arrogance

* The Guardian,

* Friday August 15 2008

* Article history

How nice of Cameron's goons at Policy Exchange to remind us what the Tories are really like (Tory party's favourite thinktank brands northern cities failures, August 13). Move "darn sarf"? Most of them talk with that horrible estuary accent.

Without the north we wouldn't have the vote: the Peterloo protesters, the Chartists and the suffragettes were all from the north. The trade unions were born in Manchester and the north gave this country the industrial revolution, which projected a small island to be a world power. The joule unit of energy, Whitworth engineering standards and Peel's police force - all northern. Manchester didn't have a seaport, so it built a canal to get to one; 5,000 Lancaster bombers which helped defeat Hitler were built at Chadderton. And the world's first modern computer was pioneered at Umist. As the late, great Tony Wilson summed it up, the only thing the south ever gave us was Chas and Dave.

And what would music be without the north? The world-famous Hallé, the Beatles, Hollies, Smiths, Buzzcocks, New Order, Stone Roses, Oasis, Happy Mondays, Arctic Monkeys. In 2012 the cockneys will invite us down to have a good old knees-up at the Olympics. Sorry my old china, but you wouldn't be in a position to hold the games without Manchester's Commonwealth success in 2002, after London messed up a bid for the world athletics championships. Our thanks for this? We can have a football semi-final at Old Trafford. Between United and the scousers we have 31 league titles and eight European Cups - someone should tell Roman Abramovich that you can't buy class.

So thanks, but no thanks. I'll stay up here, where people are friendly, still have the time of day for each other and don't rush to work staring at the floor. We still make proper fish and chips and we can have a pint of Joey Holt's beer for under two quid. The cockneys can be left to wallow in jellied eels and pie and mash, drinking flat beer at £5 a pint.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think my old man summed it quite well ;)