N-Europe

Killzone 2

Daft

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm guessing I might do but do I need to know the events of the first game prior to playing this? I haven't really been looking into this at all until recently and seeing as I love a good shooter I'm looking to get this upon release. Looks fantastic in the trailers and gameplay videos I've seen. Only thing that's got me a bit worried are the controls on the dual shock/sixaxis seeing as the thumbsticks are in the positions they are in and I'm used to playing with a controller where the left stick is where the d-pad is on the PS3 controller.

You dont need oto know the previous game's story. Whats more interesting if you like perhaps, is read the articles up on killzone.com regarding the history of Helghan and Vekta and how the conflict came to be. The approach is that of making everything grey rather than black and white (good or bad) like other fps shooters. You can make your judgement and their considerable depth.

Wouldnt mind an expansion later where you play as Helghast(coop?) for example. Their voice acting is much cooler via breathing apparatus as you will see in multiplayer.

As for the controller, go for the DualShock 3 instead of Sixaxis. It feels much nicer. Dont worry about the stick placements, it still feels natural and after hours of playing you will wonder why people even make an issue of stick placement. Even I used to when i was a hardcore GC fan. Funny thing is the right stick is almost always used for look instead of the left and its the one that requires more precision despite being below the buttons.

Well...firstly, it's much to small to truly be comfortable for me. If the controller was bigger I wouldn't care about the joysticks being on the same plane, but at it's current size....well idk if offsetting them at it's current size would help. Another issue is that in the 12 years that I've used PS controllers, I have never ever felt comfortable with the shoulder buttons. I was absolutely pissed when I read about the 360's controller doing something similar, which incidentally, the way they did it (larger controller, Offset shoulders from triggers(since my main thing was the dual buttons)) I'm fine with.

Oh, incase you haven't guessed by now, I was talking the whole controller in general rather than just the stick. The whole thing just feels wrong to me when compared to GC, 360, or either (yes the big one and small one, I loved the big one) Xbox1 controllers.

Idk if it truly deteriorates my abilities, but it still doens't feel right.

Just out of curiosity, I have a sixaxis (it came with the console and I didn't have £40 to spend on a dual shock) but does the dual shock have those awful L2/R2 shoulder buttons/trigger things? I hope not because unless you're playing a racing game then they are pretty damn awful. Just hate the way they feel and move under finger pressing.

L2/R2 was done probably done as a compromise. This gen has had hardly any use of actual soft buttons though. I prefer hard buttons anyway especially for racing games.

Old media:

1zcjtwy.gif

0487.jpg

0486.jpg

Well...firstly, it's much to small to truly be comfortable for me. If the controller was bigger I wouldn't care about the joysticks being on the same plane, but at it's current size....well idk if offsetting them at it's current size would help. Another issue is that in the 12 years that I've used PS controllers, I have never ever felt comfortable with the shoulder buttons. I was absolutely pissed when I read about the 360's controller doing something similar, which incidentally, the way they did it (larger controller, Offset shoulders from triggers(since my main thing was the dual buttons)) I'm fine with.

Oh, incase you haven't guessed by now, I was talking the whole controller in general rather than just the stick. The whole thing just feels wrong to me when compared to GC, 360, or either (yes the big one and small one, I loved the big one) Xbox1 controllers.

Idk if it truly deteriorates my abilities, but it still doens't feel right.

I flat out disagree. The Z button on the GC and the bumpers on the 360 are just... I cant say any good words regarding them, they are genuine design flaws/afterthoughts.

Issues like those are something people do not say about the Dualshock. Despite some people's unfounded worries :cough You dont see PS owners saying 'i wish i had another pad/controller for playing this game', which is something other console owners constantly do for their games.

The pad just works. Always.

I just got a 360, and wish I could use my sixaxis when playing Gears/Halo. The 360 controller makes my hands ache, something my sixaxis never does. And whats the point of that stupid 'D' pad? Its arse.

Halo works fine IMO as it focuses on the strengths of the controller. I can see why people have issues with games like RE5 though. You're pressing the face buttons alot and all four triggers!

Using type D on PS3 and its fine. Reminds me of mapping to the dpad.

Send it to Sony. Persona 4 cant be that demanding :o

Great, I can use my crappy SIXAXIS only to have them send me the DS3 back because it is imported.

The sticks are awfully positioned. I can deal with it but I agree that they are rubbish.

The triggers are horrendous. They are painfully spongy and their shape means that more often than should happen your fingers slip off.

The D-pad also isn't great.

Best face buttons though.

I can understand the gripes with the DS3, but it is still my pad of choice. My hands are small and so I find it easy to hold, and I don't find anything wrong with the shoulder buttons. There are pad triggers you can buy if you don't like the curve.

Gamecube controller was really nice to hold but the d-pad and c-stick were crap. 360 controllers are probably equal to DS3 in retrospect, although they love collecting dirt and muck. My opinion of course.

2000 Posts :0 Can't imagine how many posts in total it would be if it counted the Cube & Revo Europe days.

I flat out disagree. The Z button on the GC and the bumpers on the 360 are just... I cant say any good words regarding them, they are genuine design flaws/afterthoughts.

Issues like those are something people do not say about the Dualshock. Despite some people's unfounded worries :cough You dont see PS owners saying 'i wish i had another pad/controller for playing this game', which is something other console owners constantly do for their games.

The pad just works. Always.

Yea, the "Z" button was probably an after thought on ninty's part.

I've seen many many people absolutely love the 360's design. Conversely I've seen many many people hate the PS controller for the reasons I stated. The pad may work for you, but not everyone is you. Like I said, if it was just a bit bigger the layout would be more tolerable similar to the Dual Analog that were available for a short time preceding Dual Shock.

Sony has said that the European Killzone 2 playable demo will be made available through the PlayStation Store this Thursday, 5th February.

The demo consists of the first two sections of Corinth River, which is the first proper level of the game, so you'll finally get to run through the beach landing and warehouse sequence that's formed the basis of so many previews.

There's also a tutorial - the same one that features in the main game.

Not sure if I actually want to download the demo. I think I want to come to the game completely fresh.

Hehe I don't think I can resist to be honest. Thing is I haven't actually seen a lot from the first couple of levels other than a bridge blowing up so I think I will hold out for release.

I'm currently downloading Resi 5 off the European store though.

They could just give us the pre beta version and it would still be much nicer than anything out there. Whatever it is should hopefully be a good demo of the action.

Japan gets a multiplayer demo in March.

I've seen many many people absolutely love the 360's design.

However people keep complaining that many games dont work well with it. From RE5 to SF4 to ME etc. The other pads lack versatility. Watch how with Killzone 2 no one is going to complain about stick placement. DS does not seem to create any additonal barriers.

edit: This might interest trigger people: triggers1.jpg

Guarantee I'll be moaning about the stick placement. It just feels wrong to me. The 360 controller, to me, is perfect for gaming and I don't understand or don't actually think I've ever heard anyone moan about it. The stick placement is a big barrier for those coming from another console. It might not be for some but it is for me.

But I'll when I get the game how it holds out.

Have you tried? There's no harm in doing so. Some people have managed to have their imported PS3 fixed.

They're going to get back to me on whether they will take it to look at to see if it is broken enough.

I'm just really frustrated because I've gone through two PS3s and now one controller. It's taking the piss.

They're going to get back to me on whether they will take it to look at to see if it is broken enough.

I'm just really frustrated because I've gone through two PS3s and now one controller. It's taking the piss.

You're quite unlucky there.

Still you have Persona 4... and we dont. :cry: