N-Europe

Anyone got Freesat?

Jackster

Sorry to hi-jack your thread but how does freesat work? We have Sky downstairs so could I get a freesat box and use that for my TV upstairs but using the Sky minidish?

Not sure how that would work as they both need the satellite, although you could ask around.

Sorry to hi-jack your thread but how does freesat work? We have Sky downstairs so could I get a freesat box and use that for my TV upstairs but using the Sky minidish?

No freesat comes from a completley different satellite to the one Sky uses. You have to get another dish sadly.

Guest Jordan

Wait a sec.

Isn't there a difference? Ie: Freesat from Sky is basically Sky without a subscription and FreeSat being a totally different service?

Freesat from Sky probably uses the Astra frequencies meaning you wouldn't need a new LMB/dish. But normal Freesat? It might have its own frequency. You should look into it.

Wait a sec.

Isn't there a difference? Ie: Freesat from Sky is basically Sky without a subscription and FreeSat being a totally different service?

Freesat from Sky probably uses the Astra frequencies meaning you wouldn't need a new LMB/dish. But normal Freesat? It might have its own frequency. You should look into it.

Yeah, you're right. 'freesat' is from the BBC and ITV whereas 'Freesat from Sky' is from Sky.

Q: Can I have freesat running in conjunction with another digital TV service?

A: Yes, if you already have digital TV in your home, it is possible to have both freesat and your existing service (cable, satellite or digital terrestrial TV) running at the same time. If you have a digital satellite service and a working satellite dish, you should be able to use the same dish to receive freesat. Please check with your local freesat approved retailer for details.

http://www.freesat.co.uk/index.php?page=installation.Main

So that basically means you can get both 'freesat' and 'FreeSat from Sky' using the same dish.

We'll be investing in the Freesat PVR as soon as its availiable, unless Sky can offer a decent package to stop me leaving.

Freesat will work with a Sky installed dish, the channels are broadcast from the same satellite- i believe the EPG is delivered via a different satellite, but Sky dishes are aligned to this also. As long as you have enough connectors on the Dish LNB (the arm on the dish), you can easily mix and match Sky and Freesat- a PVR like Humax or Sky+/HD will require 2 inputs from the dish, while standard boxes only require one. Sky installed us a Quad Input LNB, so this may be their standard installation. But take a look at the dish, you should be able to count the spare connectors.

Extra cabling can be purchased from Focus and other similar stores, and it'll prove an easy install- excluding drilling through walls of course!

Free sat sounds good in my opinion only if your getting the HD version. If your looking at getting an SD box your better off going with the sky pay once watch forever deal which I think you can get in currys.

There is still an awful lot still to come on Freesat, they're aiming to get 200 channels by Christmas 2008, plus, all Freesat boxes have ethernet (if i recall correctly)- meaning access to TV On Demand, through iPlayer and other services should become available- thats the plan, anyway. Sky can't, and probably wouldn't want to, offer that with their standard boxes.

Five are currently unable to join due to carriage contracts with Sky, but are planning to join.

Plus, any Sky box will come with the appalling Sky Guide EPG.

Guest Jordan
There is still an awful lot still to come on Freesat, they're aiming to get 200 channels by Christmas 2008, plus, all Freesat boxes have ethernet (if i recall correctly)- meaning access to TV On Demand, through iPlayer and other services should become available- thats the plan, anyway. Sky can't, and probably wouldn't want to, offer that with their standard boxes.

Five are currently unable to join due to carriage contracts with Sky, but are planning to join.

Plus, any Sky box will come with the appalling Sky Guide EPG.

The new Sky HD EPG is actually pretty fantastic... but the normal one i agree is god awful.

Freesat is broadcast from Astra 2D and Eurobird 1, the exact same satellites used by Sky so if your dish is aligned for Sky it's fine for Freesat.

I bought a Foxsat HD for my room and it's great! BBC HD is bloody fantastic!

What you've got to remember about Freesat is it's a very young platform and it has to be given a bit of time to grow. I'm guessing that in a years time Freesat will be a big player. Especially looking forward to seeing what happens with the ethernet port although I think we all know it's likely to be iPlayer :yay:

Also, Humax have given a small peek at their Freesat HD PVR, although as far as I know, what the picture in the article shows is not necessarily what the final product will look like: http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/08/29/ifa_humax_freesat_hd_dvr_plan/

Freesat is broadcast from Astra 2D and Eurobird 1, the exact same satellites used by Sky so if your dish is aligned for Sky it's fine for Freesat.

I bought a Foxsat HD for my room and it's great! BBC HD is bloody fantastic!

What you've got to remember about Freesat is it's a very young platform and it has to be given a bit of time to grow. I'm guessing that in a years time Freesat will be a big player. Especially looking forward to seeing what happens with the ethernet port although I think we all know it's likely to be iPlayer :yay:

Also, Humax have given a small peek at their Freesat HD PVR, although as far as I know, what the picture in the article shows is not necessarily what the final product will look like: http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/08/29/ifa_humax_freesat_hd_dvr_plan/

Not actually anything to do with this at all but just seen you live in Glasgow.... Whereabouts? I'm from roundabout there too, 20 miles north in a village called Balfron, live in Glasgow during termtime though.

The Humax PVR for Freeview is a great piece of kit, so I'd expect that the Freesat version will be just as good. I'm sure i've read this is based off a box capable of recording up to 4 channels.

The Humax PVR for Freeview is a great piece of kit, so I'd expect that the Freesat version will be just as good. I'm sure i've read this is based off a box capable of recording up to 4 channels.

Yeah I think it is bsaed of a box that can record 4 channels but that's only if it's 4 channels on two transponders or something along those lines. There's a guy who works in Humax on Digital Spy forums and I *think* he said that feature wouldn't make it into the Freesat model because it's aimed at consumers who wouldn't quite understand why they can sometimes record 4 channels and sometimes only record 2 channels.

Not actually anything to do with this at all but just seen you live in Glasgow.... Whereabouts? I'm from roundabout there too, 20 miles north in a village called Balfron, live in Glasgow during termtime though.

I'm from the southside, Govanhill kinda area :-)

It's a shame these Freesat HD boxes don't have wireless built in for when they make use of the internet connection, as people in my house are a bit wire-phobic.

The thing is though, on the ground floor we have a HDTV, and on the top I have my HDTV. I'd really like if we could get both linked up to freesatHD, but does anyone know if this would need 2 boxes? I've tried finding the info on the freesat site, but it sounded a bit vague.

The thing is though, on the ground floor we have a HDTV, and on the top I have my HDTV. I'd really like if we could get both linked up to freesatHD, but does anyone know if this would need 2 boxes? I've tried finding the info on the freesat site, but it sounded a bit vague.

Yeah, you need a Freesat box for each TV (unless the TV has it built in), each wired to the satellite.

I bought a Foxsat HD for my room and it's great! BBC HD is bloody fantastic

I just recently upgraded to SKY HD and find BBC HD to be a load of crap. Apart from Planet Earth there seems to be nothing on the channel worth watching.

How many HD channels do you get with freesat?

off topic - Does anyone know which shows are broadcast in HD on Channel 4 HD. Seems to me that all the shows I have seen so far are upscaled and are not native HD.

I just recently upgraded to SKY HD and find BBC HD to be a load of crap. Apart from Planet Earth there seems to be nothing on the channel worth watching.

How many HD channels do you get with freesat?

off topic - Does anyone know which shows are broadcast in HD on Channel 4 HD. Seems to me that all the shows I have seen so far are upscaled and are not native HD.

So far on Freesat there's only BBC HD plus the occasional 'red button' ITV HD but more are expected before the end of the year.

As for BBC HD being a load of crap, I'm loving it, Gavin and Stacey in HD is great ^.^