NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Daft

Heavy Rain

I want to read all the hands on but I don't want to know too much.

I'll play it safe...

I'll do what I always do, read nothing on the game until it comes out. Won't be hard as I don't really read up much on games anymore.

Heavy Rain To Introduce Delayed Trophies, Solve Common Achievement Problem

500x_500x_rain18_01.jpg

In the interest of establishing a mood and not having it ruined by a Trophy alert, the developers of 2010 PlayStation 3 game Heavy Rain have been authorized by Sony to do something new.

Heavy Rain will have Trophies. But you won't be told that you earned them until the breaks between the game's chapters.

Quantic Dream co-CEO Guilaume de Fondaumiere told Kotaku in New York that the game's Trophy alerts will operate on a delay. That gets the team around the problem of having the little Trophy alert message and accompanying chime interrupt scenes of tense crime-scene investigation or a father's quiet struggle to get his son to talk to him after a bad day at school. The game will maintain its mood during the important parts by rewarding the gamer with alerts during transitional scenes.

Since their inception, Achievements on the Xbox 360 and the similar service of Trophies on the PlayStation 3 have been widely popular among gamers. But the alerts that signify the winning of an Achievement or Trophy can and do get in the way of subtitle text or otherwise distract players. And while an option to turn the alerts is one solution to this issue that some gamers use, having the Trophies rewarded after the fact is another method that permits a notice of accomplishment without killing a carefully constructed mood.

Heavy Rain ships in early 2010 on the PlayStation 3.

http://kotaku.com/5426839/heavy-rain-to-introduce-delayed-trophies-solve-common-achievement-problem

Nice.

Didn't I say something a while back saying they'll probably stop the trophy ding/appearance during the action?

If not I definitely thought it, and don't other games use it anyway? In effect.

Didn't I say something a while back saying they'll probably stop the trophy ding/appearance during the action?

If not I definitely thought it, and don't other games use it anyway? In effect.

I think some other games just drown out the sound lol....this is something totally different just not awarding them to way down the line when your not playing or watching narrative...although to be fair Linger in the Shadows did the same, awarding any new trophies you'd won at the end of your play session...

It awards them like usual, it's just the notification that is delayed. Otherwise why would the need special permission? (That's a rhetorical question.)

New screenshots [NSFW]

New preview.

The scariest scene I played in a video game this year took place inside a mall..

The minutiae of gameplay—the showering, drying yourself off, and getting dressed—is a device to give you a sense of humanity, but with such a slow burn on the gameplay it may be hard to draw players in. When a pivotal scene is putting a child to bed, you may lose some gamers who are just waiting to fire a gun. This is a risky game, and it relies on human interaction and personal suffering for power. That's not a bad thing, and those that are drawn in may be rewarded with something very rare in our business: a new experience.

Hassan's Shop Scene.

Scenario 1

Scenario 2

Scenario 3

Scenario 4

Scenario 5

I'm gonna stop coming into this thread I think, wanna stay spoiler free aside from what I've played...

This is one of the few (I think 3) games that actually interests me on the PS3. So maybe, years from now when I finally get around to getting a PS3, I should pick this up.

Collectors Edition has been announced:

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2009/12/18/introducing-heavy-rain-chronicles-the-special-edition-box/

4195412454_7e8a01c626.jpg

Hi everyone – Alex Pavey here, with some exciting updates on Heavy Rain – the dark thriller from Quantic Dream where your choices can have dramatic consequences.

Hopefully many of you will have seen some of the great first impressions of the game that are popping up all over the place. This is the first time that journalists have been given the opportunity to get to play through an extended series of scenes in sequence, so it’s really exciting to see all the positive responses. Look out for the previews (though if you’re trying to avoid even minor plot spoilers, be careful out there!).

The Heavy Rain Chronicles

First of all, I’m pleased to confirm that Heavy Rain will be supported by some very interesting downloadable content – The Heavy Rain Chronicles.

These are a series of additional, fully-playable scenes, where you’ll learn more about the backstory of some of the characters you’ll meet in Heavy Rain itself. The first episode will centre on Madison – and the setting will be familiar to those of you who have been following the progress of Heavy Rain closely…

Heavy Rain: Chronicle One – The Taxidermist sees Madison Paige investigating a suspicious and reclusive taxidermist, and finding herself unexpectedly in grave danger.

The episode is an expansion and update of the original ‘Taxidermist’ demo that received such a positive response when shown at E3 and gamescom last year.

Chronicles One and Two will be available for download from the PlayStation Store after the launch of Heavy Rain early next year – although there will be some opportunities to get hold of the episode a little earlier. Which brings me on to…

Heavy Rain – Collector’s Edition

I’m excited to announce the Heavy Rain Collector’s Edition…

The Collector’s Edition is packaged in a special ‘rain-effect’ slipcase – thanks to special embossing and other manufacturing tricks, it gives the impression of being streaked with 3D rain-drops (something that has confused a lot of people when they’ve seen it lying on my desk recently!).

But cool as that is, that’s not all. The Collector’s Edition also contains a voucher to download the following additional content from the PlayStation Store:

Heavy Rain: Chronicle 1 – The Taxidermist – Experience Madison’s dangerous investigation in full, before it’s available on the PlayStation Store

The Heavy Rain Official Soundtrack – Recorded at the legendary Abbey Road studios, and filled with the powerful orchestral themes that form a key part of the experience of playing Heavy Rain

Dynamic XMB theme – Lend a little Heavy Rain ambience to your XMB

The ways in which you can get your hands on the Collector’s Edition will vary across Europe, so keep a look out for more info on this soon.

That’s all for now, but I’ll be around in the comments section for a while to answer any questions you might have – and keep your eyes open for more Heavy Rain updates soon.

Also finally for those interested this months EDGE (in stores on 22nd) has a pretty decent retrospective on Fahrenheit, ah what a great game.

If that limited edition packed a miniature metal version of the origami featured on the box I have to say I would definitely buy it.

If that limited edition packed a miniature metal version of the origami featured on the box I have to say I would definitely buy it.

That would be awesome. It got me sold at the extra DLC and full soundtrack though.

There's no way I want to miss out on the extra DLC. Guess I'll be pre-ordering.

Yeah it seems kind of essential with it being story driven. And thinking about that metal origami idea, someone will probably use it to kill someone like the villain in the game so it wouldn't happen anyway. The more I think about it though the more I'd like some sort of figurine.

Yeah it seems kind of essential with it being story driven. And thinking about that metal origami idea, someone will probably use it to kill someone like the villain in the game so it wouldn't happen anyway. The more I think about it though the more I'd like some sort of figurine.

It's not quite the same but in the most recent episode of 4 Guys 1 Up they did a bit on Heavy Rain I skipped huge chunks of it to avoid spoilers, but I did hear that there is a piece of paper with folds and instructions on how to make the origami from the cover.

It's not quite the same but in the most recent episode of 4 Guys 1 Up they did a bit on Heavy Rain I skipped huge chunks of it to avoid spoilers, but I did hear that there is a piece of paper with folds and instructions on how to make the origami from the cover.

Not sure if this is what you mean but:

http://www.destructoid.com/arts-crafts-with-heavy-rain-s-origami-killer--157825.phtml

I've tried to make it but got lost somewhere in the middle.

Edit: Tried it again, looks cool.

Edited by Shino

For those who missed out on Indigo Prophecy/Farenheit there is really no excuse now...It is available for just £2.37 on Steam BARGAIN!!!!

Just remember, it gets really really weird later on in the game.

god yeah...

The whole having sex with a dead person thing, then apparently its hinted that she pregnant and the wierd matrix homages sort of...its bloody strange

It was such a shame that game took such a weird turn. I know so many people, myself included who absolutely loved the first parts.

Its like in True Crime when:

For nearly all of the game you are just a normal cop driving around chasing leads, then at the very end a bloody Dragon appears!

It was such a shame that game took such a weird turn. I know so many people, myself included who absolutely loved the first parts.

Its like in True Crime when:

For nearly all of the game you are just a normal cop driving around chasing leads, then at the very end a bloody Dragon appears!

Yeah the ending of Farenheit did wreck an otherwise amazing game! As for True story, I've never played it but knew that was the case...wonder if the reboot will include it..be funny if it had a dream sequence or something that alluded to the stupidity of it.

Heavy Rain Special Edition - £39.99 an exclusive at HMV

I'm not sure why but I got a £4 discount at the checkout. All in all pretty fucking good price considering it has a bit of DLC, a dynamic theme, the soundtrack and a steel case that no one gives a shit about.

Heavy Rain Special Edition - £39.99 an exclusive at HMV

I'm not sure why but I got a £4 discount at the checkout. All in all pretty fucking good price considering it has a bit of DLC, a dynamic theme, the soundtrack and a steel case that no one gives a shit about.

urgh why is it hmv exclusive best cancel my old preorder I MUST have all that extra stuff!

Yeah I preordered that earier, although no £4 discount for me

I think it's my student discount coming through even though they don't do it any more. No idea why otherwise...not that I'm complaining. :heh:

Sign in to follow this