N-Europe

Red Steel 2 (£4.95 @Zavvi)

blender

UPS have told you they will be delivering it on the 6th. I see no reason why you should not believe they will be delivering it to you on the 6th.

So that means I have to wait untill Tuesday thats rubbish I payed Express Shipping thanks Easter Holiydays

• Replies 593
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Played this a bit more earlier. Love it completely. The "backtracking" and mission structure seems fine to me, but I can see why others would find it repetitive.

The sword combos that you learn are great fun. This is a very satisfying game to play. In fact, perhaps a bit tooooo satisfying!

So that means I have to wait untill Tuesday thats rubbish I payed Express Shipping thanks Easter Holiydays

Well its still express compared to how long it would have taken if you hadn't...

The British eh? We complain we don't get enough bank holidays and then we complain they inconvenience us.

This game is absolutely awful - the story is terrible, the voice acting is atrocious, the level design is boring and repetitive, it takes ages to load a new area and the "hidden" loading is really cheap (like it takes 5 attempts to push a door open!) and there are glitches and crashes all over the place.

And yet, none of the above really matter. I love this game. Purely due to the combat - the M+ swordfighting is absolutely stunning, the gunplay is fluid and it's incredibly satisfying to kill 10+ enemies while switching from gun to sword on the fly. No other game has given me this much immersion in the way it controls.

I would have loved it if the first Red Steel controlled as good as this, as to be honest, I preferred the setting of the first game to this "Wild West" world but that's just my personal taste.

I think I preferred the original game's diversity and story more than this one. The first was a bit more of a smash in that way. But in absolutely every other account, this smashes it. Combat, Controls, Graphics, Music, Weapons. It's a smash.

I completed the game yesterday (in about 10 hours) and I completely agree with you, not to flame the makers of the game but the environments in Red steel 2 are a complete hit or miss. The western designs are more or less copied from movies or other games with western themes, which to me is kind of uninspired. But on the other hands the Asian inspired environments are pretty good.

If there is ever going to be a red steel 3 than I hope they will go back to the futuristic japan/asia but with the cell shading style of red steel 2.

And trying to be as fugue as possible for the once that haven’t completed the game. It’s pretty much a completed story.

Also that 500 000 sales projection that ubisoft set in stone for the game, is that for the whole fiscal year or just until august (a quarter of a year)?

Edited by marcel

Just finished it at around the 11 hour mark. I tried a few of the side quests, but I reckon if you went through and did all the side missions, a single play through on medium could be over 15 hours.

Honestly, I freaking loved it. Yes the characters and story are lousy, but this game does something not many other games do: it understands that it's a game and exploits that. As a result of that you're left with a wholly entertaining game, and some of the best fun I've had in a while.

So here's the deal, I'm going to post some bargains and you're going to pick this bitch up:

Red Steel 2:

Zavvi - £29

Play (Special Edition) - £34

CD Wow - £32

Red Steel 2 (With MotionPlus):

Zavvi - £37

Play (Special Edition) - £44

If you're sitting on the fence, just grab it.

Sales for week 2 (europe only) sees a light dip in sales from 12,439(week 1) to 9,306(week 2).

Hopefully the US sales can take that punch.

BTW it now sold 77 354 copies worldwide (exclusive japan, anyone knows when its going to get released there?) It could hit the 100 000 mark with the US sales, i considder that a good selling core game.

Sales for week 2 (europe only) sees a light dip in sales from 12,439(week 1) to 9,306(week 2).

BTW it now sold 77 354 copies worldwide (exclusive japan, anyone knows when its going to get released there?) It could hit the 100 000 mark with the US sales, i considder that a good selling core game.

Cheer up, chuck. Silent Hill's sales rose by 908 in PAL territories this week!

Is that UK or Europe in general. Them sales figures are pathetic!!

Cheer up, chuck. Silent Hill's sales rose by 908 in PAL territories this week!

it also proofs that shattered memories sales have legs, it could sell 5000 copies for 20 or 30 weeks in europe. Almost certain that its going to be the best selling silent hill game on any platform.

now ontopic:

red steel 2 sales are better than SHSM hopefully no massive dip from the 55000 copies from the first week in the US.

According to VGChartz...

you can say all you want about VGChartz but they where right on the 2 million sold for just dance(puked in my mouth) before ubisoft even made that press release.

Ontopic:

And the worse case scenario has happened. Red steel 2 wasnt even able to move 20k in sales for its second week in the US. It hung at 16 000, So the total sales of RS2 worldwide are 93 000. Is everyone waiting for a pricedrop or what?

Sales like that proof why we always get out games late(sometimes even months)

And the worse case scenario has happened. Red steel 2 wasnt even able to move 20k in sales for its second week in the US. It hung at 16 000, So the total sales of RS2 worldwide are 93 000. Is everyone waiting for a pricedrop or what?

Serious truth here: Outside of the select extremely "core" internet forum type gamer, most hardcore gamers have completely abandoned their Wii's.

I have a few friends that own a Wii, 360 and PS3. It wouldn't matter what kind of games were coming out on the Wii really...they wont be interested at all.

A friend of mine owns both Mistwalker 360 RPG's. He's a fan of older Final Fantasy games and a big fan of Uematsu's music. I can't get him interested in The Last Story. He bought FFXIII first day.

In 2006 some core gamers were forgiving of the idea that the Wii wasn't nearly as good looking visually as their next gen consoles and some early Wii titles sold well. in 2010, not many people are forgiving outside of the extreme Nintendo fans.

Red Steel 2 is a game where no matter how good it was, it was doomed to fail at retail. I will go as far to say that no third party Wii hardcore title will ever sell as well as games like Umbrella Chronicles, RE4, etc ever again. Not ONE single game.

Edited by James McGeachie

I will go as far to say that no third party Wii hardcore title will ever sell as well as games like Umbrella Chronicles, RE4, etc ever again.[/b] Not ONE single game.

I'm sure if Resi 2 was remade with the Resi 4/5 gameplay, life itself would stand still and every person and their dog would have a copy.

But that's a big if.

Red Steel 2 is a game where no matter how good it was, it was doomed to fail at retail. I will go as far to say that no third party Wii hardcore title will ever sell as well as games like Umbrella Chronicles, RE4, etc ever again. Not ONE single game.

Realistically, though... what exactly is on the horizon? The only real reason we're having this discussion as late as now is because Red Steel 2 was in development for so long.

I think it's safe to say I probably won't be crying myself to sleep if The Conduit 2 doesn't pull 500,000 sales.

I know it's compelling to take an interest in sales, I really get that. I do too. But just look back... what evidence do we have that a good-selling third-party game on Wii produces even better sequels? Resident Evil 4 did rather well, didn't it? Yay! More traditional Resi lovin' for Wii, then? Oh wait, that never happened.

de Blob did fantastically. As our reward, THQ are pimping up the sequel on all consoles whilst talking about their love for "traditional controls" for the title.

Companies are silly, and they don't always make logical decisions. Red Steel 2 hasn't done brilliantly so far. There's little chance of it matching the sales of the original, that's for sure. But - and maybe I'm being cynical here - I don't think it doing very very well would have made its future on Wii any more secure.

What I'm trying to say is, people seem to get very concerned about how well games perform commercially when they just shouldn't worry themselves. An argument could be made that the state of third party success on Wii is at its lowest point ever. Yet an argument could also be made that 2010 is the console's best ever line-up. Paradox much? Don't worry about it, just enjoy the games!

An argument could be made that the state of third party success on Wii is at its lowest point ever. Yet an argument could also be made that 2010 is the console's best ever line-up. Paradox much? Don't worry about it, just enjoy the games!

D_prOdigy wins all the internets.

/thread

Still undecided whether or not to buy this. I'm not a 'support the team'-guy, so buying for the general good and raising the sales isn't on my agenda.

I think the style is pretty good, but while I like Eastern culture and Western, I don't feel like it's really working. It gives me too much of a sunday-morning-cartoon-vibe impression. But I've only watched it in video form, so that impression can be faulty.

Is there enough variety, by which I mean, is there general purpose to what you're doing with several interesting situations that require different approaches, or is it simply 'Follow the marker, get in isolated area, bad guys appear, beat bad guys, area opened up, repeat until you get to boss'?

Is there any recalibrating required during the game itself?

Still undecided whether or not to buy this. I'm not a 'support the team'-guy, so buying for the general good and raising the sales isn't on my agenda.

I think the style is pretty good, but while I like Eastern culture and Western, I don't feel like it's really working. It gives me too much of a sunday-morning-cartoon-vibe impression. But I've only watched it in video form, so that impression can be faulty.

Is there enough variety, by which I mean, is there general purpose to what you're doing with several interesting situations that require different approaches, or is it simply 'Follow the marker, get in isolated area, bad guys appear, beat bad guys, area opened up, repeat until you get to boss'?

Is there any recalibrating required during the game itself?

I really enjoyed the game. I layed through the whole thing and am going through the Challenge mode right now. It has great crontols, and you only have to calibrate the controller once before your game.

Graphics are superb, gameplay is great, I loved the level design and the open feeling to large parts of it. Also the constant unlocking of new abilities and the upgrading of your weapons is brilliant.