N-Europe

Unspeakable

navarre

Where is the line?

Some things just can't be said in company, polite or otherwise. Many topics are considered taboo.

Should their be these boundaries? For example, should people 'respect each others' beliefs', or should they feel able to challenge them, free in the knowledge the other person will respond with a rebuttal not with a cease-and-desist?

How about in the social sphere? You see a wife with a black eye, should you feel comfortable enough to directly ask her if her husband belted her one, or is this crossing a line?

I'm of the opinion that currently, on a worldwide scale, the line doesn't go back far enough. Too many topics are 'off limits' in too many places. However, I'd stop short of encouraging everyone to believe that nothing is unspeakable, as random strangers constantly asking personal questions could grate quite quickly.

How about you? At what point do you think people should just be able to say 'I will not speak of it'?

I think it depends on how well you know someone as to what you can / can't say. I never want to offend anyone and know that with my mates I can say pretty much anything without fear of doing it.

I do however think people are too sensitive, especially when it comes to religion. I don't see why people are so sensitive though (in any area), after all what people say makes no difference, it's only words.

Guest bluey

star_wars-yoda.gif into chaos this thread slipping i foresee...

in before lock i shall get!

....*cough* nah i joke.

some things i just dont like talking about. full stop. your example of abuse just isnt something i'd chose to bring up in conversation ~ "nice weather we're having, isn't it strange how some people stay with abusive partners...?" i'm not oprah winfrey - luckily, i dont have to think about that kind of crap.

I don't consider anything off limits, but I do believe in tact. If you want to discuss someone's religion with them, atheist to believer, there are polite ways of doing so; there's a world of difference between, "What do you think makes you believe in God?" and, "Religion is a complete joke, a bed time story for idiots! Why do you believe in that crap?"

It isn't what you say but how you say it. And sometimes you can get a point across without saying anything at all.

Having said that, there are some things I'd rather not talk about to just anyone. I wouldn't consider that making subjects taboo — I'd happily discuss anything with people I trust — it's just keeping things personal.

Having said that, there are some things I'd rather not talk about to just anyone. I wouldn't consider that making subjects taboo — I'd happily discuss anything with people I trust — it's just keeping things personal.

I think taboo (IMO) is more of a general thing and doesn't include specific/personal things.

Nope, 'twas them (us) bluddy Danes all right. And to be honest it really split the population. Some people applauded the newspaper's move, other people were really embarrassed to be Danish. The Muslims who lived in Denmark actually weren't that bothered by the cartoons. The problems arose when the Imams brought the cartoons down to the deeply Islamic countries, getting the cartoons mixed with some completely unrelated images. But I don't want to get that discussion running again.

I'd never consider something a taboo, as the news these days alone makes us bring up topics that normally we would consider a hush hush topic.

Although there is certain things you have to be very careful around and sometimes it's out of politeness and respect I think it would be unfair for a subject to be approached and to be pressed if the person didn't wish to speak of it.

It's all about taking into consideration each situation, one time you may be able to mention it, another time you may not.

I would only talk to someone about something if I knew they wouldn't be offended by it. Generally I also try not to bring up more personal topics that I know who I'm talking to has different beliefs on. For instance I wouldn't start talking to someone who supports abortion about how I think its wrong, I would rather just avoid that fight. Though sometimes I will stand up against people if I believe incredibly strongly in something.

I can't really define "the line".

I mean, I'll respectfully (as far as possible) discredit most/all religious beliefs in a deity, but I won't jump on it if it's mentioned by someone just in conversation.

But a friend began to describe the plot/meaning behind the film "Donkey Punch" while my family were in the room, including my sister. She's 11, and knows what sex is, and It's hardly a taboo (I don't think it should be), but I have a thing about innocence, and loudly talking about death during orgasm in front of my mum and sister is just a bit weird.