Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Has Nintendo really lost it?

Chris the great

No I think the interviewer said: "They wanted more Reggie". Probably he meant: "They wanted more, Reggie" but he didn't make a real pause between more and Reggie.

What I find interesting though is that he said that there will be first party WiiWare games and he didn't rule out that there might be some this year still.

A Donkey Kong Country 4 for WiiWare would be great (at least for me :) ).

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I just rewatched.

He said: "They wanted more [hardcore games], Reggie" but didn't make a "long" pause between more and Reggie (there might was one but it was a more short one) BUT of course, Reggie knew what he meant and he made a joke BUT that was not my point. I just meant regarding that the sentence ended with ", Reggie".

Bolded what I think are worth keeping an eye on

- Rock Band

- Samba de Amigo

- Soulcalibur Legends

- SimCity Creator

- De Blob

- LEGO Batman

- Opoona

- Dokapon Kingdom

- Don King Presents: Prizefighter

- Star Wars: The Force Unleashed

- Ghostbusters

- Lost in Blue: Shipwrecked!

- Mushroom Men

- Rock Revolution

- Sam & Max Season One

- World of Goo

- Star Wars: The Clone Wars

- Deadly Creatures

- Sonic Unleashed

- Guitar Hero: World Tour

- Manhunt 2

Also I think these will/might turn out good too,

- Strongbads game for attractive people Wiiware

- Monster Lab

And along with Warioware, Disaster and Fatal Frame, I don't think it'll be too lean a year. That is if they do turn out good, if not it might be a bit sparse but not as bad as most make out.

You know, I think alot of us did want to see more of Reggie on stage.

I don't think they would have said Mario Team is working on something if it wasn't a Mario Game. So Pikmin is probably being developed by another EAD.

The Mario Team is EAD Tokyo, at least the Galaxy team, Pikmin was made by another EAD team I think.

Yeah that's why I'm not sure, I did a quick Google search and all I could find was EAD. Still, most likely not EAD tokyo.
Tokyo EAD is the first EAD outside their Kyoto Headquarters.

So the main EAD is actually a big mix, of undefined teams going back and forth, even if there are separate teams inside there, that and groups of people that can be assembled onto the products that need them (as in, when x project is nearing completion is only natural that it reaches it's peak of people working on them, even if they weren't there from the start), and tha "reassembled" teams when the time comes to make a new game of x franchise. (Animal crossing for instance, the team reassembled meaning it wasn't together before)

So, no E3 next year then.

To answer the thread title, no Nintendo have their head very VERY firmly screwed on. In fact in their conference, they addressed the press present at this years E3 better than any of the other 2 platform holders in my view. They were far morea aware than anyone that E3 had critically changed and responded well to that.

My only issue now is that there is no conference during the May-July period where the big titles will get revealed. I'll quote David Perry about the death of E3 as he expresses my sadness quite well:

The concept is broken, it's expensive, messages are diluted, consumers are ignored (remembering that the future of this industry is direct connections with consumers – not retailers), the ticket policies are stupid, and if the entire industry worldwide doesn't participate, it's not real anyway.

I used to bring major investors to E3 to get them excited about our industry, which worked every time. Now it's just an embarrassment.

Thankfully we still have GDC to bring them to, if they want to see the talent, passion, and energy this industry has.

Yeah that's why I'm not sure, I did a quick Google search and all I could find was EAD. Still, most likely not EAD tokyo.

Wikipedia says the only 2 games made by EAD Tokyo were DK Jungle Beat and Super Mario Galaxy. Also, I think there was no EAD Tokyo back in the time, so I'm most sure it was another EAD.

But as Pedro said, personal go back and forth between teams so it doesn't mean much.

If there's any justice in the world, Tokyo will be making a sequel to Jungle Beat.

Yeah, that would be fantastic, I loved Jungle Beat, almost as much as Galaxy. Nintendo seem to have given up on the bongos, though, if DK Jet Race is anything to go by.

Haven't we gotten a bit too used to hyper acceleration Nintendo put out in recent years? They did that to turn the competition on its head (and they did, well done) and now they're steadily driving up the way. This year it was more up to MS and Sony to turn up the heat so they can close the gap. Nintendo probably could have got away with not even turning up at all.

All this "worry" some of you are expressing seems to come from unrealistic expectation. No company has unlimited resources so managing what they've got and spacing it out accordingly to their competition is what wins you the war of attrition. How is that unreasonable?

I think if they didn't appear at E3 at all the disappointment wouldn't have been that high because then it would have been clear that if they are going to say something regarding hardcore, they will tell about it later BUT the point is before the E3 Reggie said that there will be lots for core gamers...

EDIT:

I don't know if this article got already posted but if not:

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/07/22/nintendo-and-its-e3-fans/

I think it is interesting... Also regarding the Animal Crossing for the Wii but not mainly...

Nintendo's President: (repost I know, but I really think it should go here as well)

Satoru Iwata: If there is any perception that Nintendo is ignoring the core gamers, it’s a misunderstanding and we really want to get rid of that misunderstanding by any means. We are sorry about [the E3] media briefings, specifically for those who were expecting to see Nintendo show something about ‘Super Mario’ or ‘Legend of Zelda.’ However, the fact of the matter is the so-called ‘big titles’ need a long, long development period. … We really didn’t think this year’s E3 media briefing was the time to do so.
Source: http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/53803

Reggie:

Reggie Fils-Aime: There’s one thing I do want to reinforce. I could almost put myself into the ‘geeks and otaku’ camp. I grew up playing all those great Nintendo games. And so for me I look at product like “Animal Crossing” and I get tremendously excited. I look at “Wario” and get tremendously excited. I look at “Sluggers” coming out and get tremendously excited. So this mentality that we have somehow lost our soul and [are not] speaking to our fanbase, there is nothing further from the truth. And if you talk to Mr. Miyamoto, you really understand that we really have the interest of our core fanbase right at the top of the list. The recognition is — and I think this is really the point — we’re not going to tease you over 18 months or 24 months. We’re going to show you something that’ll make your jaw drop and make it available shortly thereafter.
Source: http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/07/22/nintendo-and-its-e3-fans/

Some analyst:

Colin Sebastian (Lazard Capital Markets): I think Nintendo may be giving the software publishers a window of opportunity, probably a few quarters, where third-party games may be higher profile in stores. I also think part of it may be simply where we are in the development cycle for Nintendo first-party titles.
Source: http://www.edge-online.com/news/third-parties-have-a-window-opportunity-wii-ds

Is all this talking false-hope again though? I mean 'we’re not going to tease you over 18 months or 24 months. We’re going to show you something that’ll make your jaw drop and make it available shortly thereafter.' I believe his just saying that to get our minds of how terrible E3 was...by the way his speaking he means that something will be shown probably at the Tokyo Game Show, though theres no-way i'm getting excited till something is revealed.

Is all this talking false-hope again though? I mean 'we’re not going to tease you over 18 months or 24 months. We’re going to show you something that’ll make your jaw drop and make it available shortly thereafter.' I believe his just saying that to get our minds of how terrible E3 was...by the way his speaking he means that something will be shown probably at the Tokyo Game Show, though theres no-way i'm getting excited till something is revealed.

To be fair, games have been released fairly soon after announcement recently, with the exception of Brawl of course, so i believe him completely.

And it is something they have said for a while, not just now.

The thing is, I'm not bothered about the long term Wii releases, I know by the end of the Wii's life, it will probably have the greatest collection of games on one platform since the SNES, if not ever. I'm just gutted how completely devoid of even one incredible game this year!!

A bit of me wishes they held Mario Kart back and released that. Should have released Wii Music this spring, psychologically we're all used to the first half of the year to be pretty empty so we wouldn't wouldn't have been *as* bothered as the autumn, which is usually when everyone releases the biggest games.....Expectation determines all feeling......

But you do :)

Yeah in the grand scheme of things it doesn't appear that important, but it's the little things that can make us happy!!

Not really anymore believe me...bit peeved that we didn't see some more games..thats about it..

My Christmas is booked-up with PS3 and 360 anyway..and thats if i'm in the mood to play them..