NEurope

But if you have to get a new Wii you'd have to buy a new Wii Speak for £25 just to use what is essentially a chat room.

Nintendo's customer service are reportedly excellent with getting back downloaded WiiWare and VC games, so I presume they'd upload it for free on your console if you were to have it fixed.

WTF. Just read i STILL cannot send mail from my town to another.

Whats the point of WiiConnect24?

I know, it's fucking retarded isn't it. Nintendo have really, truly taken the piss with this game. It's borderline embarrassing, and if Wi Speak didn't come with it I wouldn't have bothered. Nintendo haven't changed ANYTHING about this game (please no one take this literally and start telling me about the city area and the fucking shoe shine)!! This is the laziest thing I have seen Nintendo do......EVER!! It's absolute joke and I wish some gaming site would really challenge and push the issue with Nintendo.

Good score in latest EDGE:

Reviews

Left 4 Dead - 9

Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts - 7

Gears of War 2 - 9

Fallout 3 - 7

Call of Duty: World at War - 6

Resistance 2 - 6

Mirror's Edge - 5

Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning - 7

007: Quantum of Solace - 5

Tomb Raider: Underworld - 8

Guitar Hero: World Tour - 7

Animal Crossing City Folk - 7

Ninjatown - 6

Command & Comnquer: Red Alert 3 - 7

Manhunt 2 - 4

Silent Hill: Homecoming - 6

Tom Clancy's Endwar - 8

Socom Confrontation - 5

Valkyria Chronicles - 7

Need for Speed Undercover - 3

Shaun White Snowboarding: Road Trip - 7

WTF. Just read i STILL cannot send mail from my town to another.

Whats the point of WiiConnect24?

I stopped leaving the Connect24 on standby months ago , seems a little pointless wasting the electricity for something that is so rarely utilised. And does seem crazy not using it in this game.

I am getting less and less excited about this as release day draws closer , surely it should be the other way around. I may actually be better off hunting around in my local Game/Gamestation for the GC version and playing that again.

Is it just me that is beginning to grow bored with the Wii ?

It's not just about this game but the lacklustre release schedule this quarter. The only reason I am still holding on to the thing is because next year is looking promising , providing Nintendo and the 3rd parties don't manage to screw up those games too.

I stopped leaving the Connect24 on standby months ago , seems a little pointless wasting the electricity for something that is so rarely utilised.

I may very well do the same. There is nothing that i can't download another way.

Nintendo Power Reviews

Wii games

Animal Crossing: City Folk: 8.0

Rygar: 7.0

Castlevania Judgement: 7.0

Tales of Symphonia 2: 8.0

Sonic Unleashed: 8.0

Guitar Hero: WT: 8.5

Shaun White Snowboarding: 7.0

Mushroom Men: 8.0

Tomb Raider Underworld: 7.0

WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2009: 8.0

Rayman Raving Rabbids TV Party: 5.5

Star Wars The Clone Wars Lightsaber Duels: 4.0

Cooking Mama World Kitchen: 6.5

Spiderman Web of Shadows: 6.5

Need for Speed Undercover: 6.5

Monster Lab: 6.5

DS games

Chrono Trigger: 9.0

Metal Slug 7: 7.5

Moon: 7.5

Mushroom Men: 5.0

Gauntlet: 7.5

Age of Empires: Mythologies: 7.0

Star Wars The Clone Wars: Jedi Alliance: 6.0

Pokemon Ranger: Shadows of Almia: 8.0

Neopets Puzzle Advanture: 6.0

Monster Lab: 8.0

Luminous Arc 2: 7.0

WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2009: 4.0

Nintendo's customer service are reportedly excellent with getting back downloaded WiiWare and VC games, so I presume they'd upload it for free on your console if you were to have it fixed.

I guess in theory it is easy as long as Nintendo have thought about it. Your purchases are tied to your account in some bizarre fashion. I remember when my Wii broke I had to go through and link my account and then do an update before I could view my update. I had to do things in that order which seemed wierd but at first it seemed like they were all lost as linking my account made no difference so rang them and they said to search for another update even though I was already on the latest firmware and it would then let me go back and redownload and low and behold they were right.

I have been unsure about this game recently thinking perhaps I have been there done that with the whole Animal Crossing thing. But now I am thinking it will make a welcome change from the ton of shooters etc... I now find myself playing...

Still stand by my comments about WiiSpeak though and am just going to get the game solo, so unless I feel I am really missing out on something and want to get more from the experience I will not be picking it up.

Anyone know what exactly gets transferred from your DS game if you link them up?

Anyone know what exactly gets transferred from your DS game if you link them up?

Your character and your items get in the Nook catalogue. Don't know if your designs go there too. I just rememered something that I don't think they implemented cause I havent heard anything about it, but if you could design your patterns on the DS and send them to the Wii, it would be awesome. It's weird how Nintendo overplayed connection with GBA and underplay it with Wii-DS. It's like they're emotionally scarred.

Your character and your items get in the Nook catalogue. Don't know if your designs go there too. I just rememered something that I don't think they implemented cause I havent heard anything about it, but if you could design your patterns on the DS and send them to the Wii, it would be awesome. It's weird how Nintendo overplayed connection with GBA and underplay it with Wii-DS. It's like they're emotionally scarred.

It's hardly surprising after the relatively lacklutsre and under utilised GC-GBA link up. Still would like to see more Wii-DS connectivity shenanigans though.

Nintendo's voice chat accessory Wii Speak releases on November 16 alongside the village life sim Animal Crossing: City Folk, but the Wii Speak Channel, the software that allows voice chat without playing any game in particular, won't be available to gamers who buy the accessory used.

MTV Multiplayer received a press copy of the latest Animal Crossing, bundled with the voice chat peripheral, and found that attached was a Wii Download Ticket Number, a 16-digit code to be used to download the Wii Speak Channel.

The code "cannot be replaced by Nintendo or your retailer if it is lost or stolen," meaning that there will be one download code for every new Wii Speak microphone.

A Nintendo representative confirmed to MTV that the Wii Speak Channel won't be available in the Wii Shop Channel for purchase. While in-game voice chat for supported games will still work on a used device, it does mean that one of the accessory's major functions will be restricted to those who buy the hardware new.

While Nintendo has not stated its intentions, the move reflects a subtle jab at the used games trade, which is controversial for leaving game companies' potential profits in the hands of retailers. Publishers and developers have started to fight back by new-copies-only DLC and they may be at work on more radical methods.

www.shacknews.com

Sounds to me like they're trying to limit or stop 3rd parties from making competing products :hmm:

I'm still quite intrigued by this game, might pick it up on release. I've not bought a single Wii game since Smash Bros. in March so it's about time i got another.

Sounds to me like they're trying to limit or stop 3rd parties from making competing products :hmm:

I'm still quite intrigued by this game, might pick it up on release. I've not bought a single Wii game since Smash Bros. in March so it's about time i got another.

I'm much in the same boat....so think I will pick this up as the only action my Wii is getting is when my girlfriend does the weekly dusting...

It's hardly surprising after the relatively lacklutsre and under utilised GC-GBA link up. Still would like to see more Wii-DS connectivity shenanigans though.

It is a shame, it was one of the best things about the GC IMO. Nintendo have no excuse now considering how many DS's and Wii's they've sold.

It is a shame, it was one of the best things about the GC IMO. Nintendo have no excuse now considering how many DS's and Wii's they've sold.

I did love Pacman VS and Four Swords...

Throughtu this thread I have moaned and moaned about this game, decretly hoping that all its enhancements were subtle pieces of genius! Now I see that actually it REALLY is just the same game.

Why did Reggie try and blag this as "the hardcore" game for xmas when 1. It's simply NOT a hardcore game and 2. The hardcore gamers who would be interested in it will have already played it.....TWICE

A game with so much potential for expansion, especially with online being pushed the generation....why would Nintendo do NOTHING to the game? Why would they be so lazy with on e of their biggest games, which is being released as their big hit in the biggest season for gaming! It's baffling and would love an explanation!!

I'm actually now considering NOT getting this and just getting WiiSpeak instead; I've played the Gamecube and DS version so much, and I actually don't know anyone getting the Wii version and that's where the real fun comes from..... Plus I have so many games to play through!!!

Nintendo, you've really let the the fans down with this!! You better make up for it in 2009!!

Haven't read the full review just yet but those closing comments probably sum up everything that all of us here suspected anyway.

Big changes would have been nice, but I don't mind. I suppose the feedback means Nintendo are going to overhaul the next installment.

I read an article last night on a new feature, you can actually wear down paths as you walk on them! After a fortnight a faint path in grass will start to appear if you take the same path to Nook's every day, and after a couple of months a path will be visible. Nice touch.

One thing that could save the game for me, does anyone know the answer.

The auction house. If I put something up for auction, does the whole world (or region), as in REAL people, bid on these items? Or is it "in game characters" only?

I find it ironic that it was the "hardcore" gamers that got the Gamecube version released in Europe in the first place, and now they are dismissing it as a "casual" game.

The thing with AC is that all the changes are very subtle (other than the City area). On the surface it's the same game, but so much as changed that you would need to play it for a year at least to notice.

Big changes would have been nice, but I don't mind. I suppose the feedback means Nintendo are going to overhaul the next installment.

I read an article last night on a new feature, you can actually wear down paths as you walk on them! After a fortnight a faint path in grass will start to appear if you take the same path to Nook's every day, and after a couple of months a path will be visible. Nice touch.

I don't really agree, Nintendo already have tons of feedback from the game since the first one on N64, they could have acted in more ways than they have. It's a typical approach of iterating oh so slowly, Nintendo aren't the only company guilty of this.

The second point about the Tom Nook trail is awesome. I hope there are perhaps similar touches throughout the game.

Does anyone know if the fetch quests from the cube version have returned? Where people used to ask you to go fetch their gameboy or such like that they had lent? I feel its a feature that was missing from the DS version that should return...

One thing that could save the game for me, does anyone know the answer.

The auction house. If I put something up for auction, does the whole world (or region), as in REAL people, bid on these items? Or is it "in game characters" only?

Real people, it's connected to WiiConnect24. I'm waiting on that Iwata Asks Animal Crossing installment, Eguchi apparently talks about all the connectivity features in it.

Unfortunately, IGN barely touched upon the online features and WiiConnect24 functionality, but I know for a fact that you can send messages to other towns and to other people's Wii Message Boards, so I don't know what david.dakota's talking about.

I find it ironic that it was the "hardcore" gamers that got the Gamecube version released in Europe in the first place, and now they are dismissing it as a "casual" game.

It's tainted once the mainstream touch it, it's thus impossible to get any enjoyment out of it since it's just a copy and paste of the GameCube game with waggle. :)