NEurope

No, I think it's directional, so someone could be sat to the side, but closer and not be as loud as someone further away but facing it. It's used a lot in sound recording, an efficient way of filtering out background noise; problem is that the whole point of wiispeak is so the whole room can chat and hear what is happening; so in my eyes it sounds like a design flaw. But I'm only guessing, just jumping to some wild conclusions from what I've read about it.

And as for wiimotionplus, I'm sure it will be affordable; but will it be cheap? If we have to pay £30 for the wiimote, £15 for a nunchuk and then another £15 for wiimotionplus!!!! That's £60 for one controller!!!!

Anything over £10 is a ripoff. I think £10 is too much, but if they start putting them inside wiimotes and keeping their cost at £30 then that will be reasonable!!

As far as i'm aware, WiiSpeak never intended on lowering the volume of folk so it's the same volume, only that it was designed to filter out sound from audio speakers and back ground noise so one room can talk over the internet to another. I've heard/read nothing about volume reduction so being a part of it.

Also, it's not like one person will be talking in the mic directly with other folk speaking in the background, everyones going to be a distance away from the speaker so everyone will be heard in the room they're talking too.

As for WM+, I think it will be a decent price. If they put the M+ in the Wii-motes, I doubt they would put up the price of WiiMotes and Wiis even more just because they added something a little extra, especially with developments costs being lower than 2006. But just now there's just not enough information on it just now, just that it would be 'affordable' and bundled with Wii Sports Resort.

I don't think I'm explaining myself very well :D

Right, basically there are two different type of mics - directional and non directional. Non directional mics pick up all the sound around it, the closer things are, the louder they'll be. Directional mics work so it only picks up sound directly in front of it. It sounds like wiispeak uses directional mic, this way it reduces 'other' sound sources, including the TV it is sat on, people shouting from other rooms, doors, roadworks, everything will be silenced (ish) because it's not directly in front of the mic. The main player will usually be sat in front of the mic and be heard clearly, all sounds great so far. BUT if it's supposed to be a room mic, and wiispeak does use this method, then people who aren't sat facing the mic will not be very clear (even if they're sat much closer).

with wiispeak picking up sound from in front of it, how is it going to cope with surround sound (since rear speakers will be in front of it)

I really don't see why people are moaning about the cost of the Mic. Is'nt the Xbox 360/PS3 mic just as expensive at the Wii speak Mic?

I don't think I'm explaining myself very well :D

Right, basically there are two different type of mics - directional and non directional. Non directional mics pick up all the sound around it, the closer things are, the louder they'll be. Directional mics work so it only picks up sound directly in front of it. It sounds like wiispeak uses directional mic, this way it reduces 'other' sound sources, including the TV it is sat on, people shouting from other rooms, doors, roadworks, everything will be silenced (ish) because it's not directly in front of the mic. The main player will usually be sat in front of the mic and be heard clearly, all sounds great so far. BUT if it's supposed to be a room mic, and wiispeak does use this method, then people who aren't sat facing the mic will not be very clear (even if they're sat much closer).

Ah I see. My microphone knowledge has increased :heh:

Guess we can get some answers next week when it finally gets released next week. So many questions with no answers with a release soon...

As for Wii MotionPlus, Reggie said Nintendo will not be making profit on it and it will be affordable.

I'm wondering is it really essential to get the mic? you can still chat by other means like text and symbols...its just a pain, I don't really want a room mic like this...

It seems Nintendo are taking the mick a bit here. Both Microsoft and Sony have better solutions, neither of them are perfect but they are infinity better than paying a premium price. Microsoft have long bundled them in with the premium console and offer both the cheaper wired headset and the more expensive wirless set. Sony also offer the same premise, you can use any headset you want or pay the price for the soon to be released headset...

I just hope some third parties offer other solutions...it seems crazy that its wired when they have bluetooth.

I'm wondering is it really essential to get the mic? you can still chat by other means like text and symbols...its just a pain, I don't really want a room mic like this...

It seems Nintendo are taking the mick a bit here. Both Microsoft and Sony have better solutions, neither of them are perfect but they are infinity better than paying a premium price. Microsoft have long bundled them in with the premium console and offer both the cheaper wired headset and the more expensive wirless set. Sony also offer the same premise, you can use any headset you want or pay the price for the soon to be released headset...

I just hope some third parties offer other solutions...it seems crazy that its wired when they have bluetooth.

Talk about overreaction, jeez. Is it that much of a pain? I honestly don't see the problem. Also infinitely better solution depending on different SKUs? Aw hell no! I mean, the wired headset which has disgusting sound quality is 22€ and the wireless, which I never used, so I don't know how the quality is, costs 55€. Are you sure the headset comes with the premium 360, cause I think that's the elite, which, well, is expensive. The PS3 accepting all headsets, which I didn't know, that is indeed an elegant solution.

And so what if it's wired, the wire's near the Wii it doesn't bother the player, not to mention this way there's no need for batteries. I can understand, although not share the sentiment, that you don't want them hearing everything in the room, but the 360 headset also picks up a lot of background voices and noise, not to mention, when the firmware allows Wii Speak, it's possible it will alow another type of mic/headset. I for one, began liking the idea so much I bought a similar mic for my PC and it's much less cumbersome.

I'm sure a 3rd party is already working on creating a headset for it. I'm not sure if I should buy the AC bundle, or wait to see if a headset comes out before The Conduit.

You can buy the channel separately I think, otherwise why would Nintendo be saying you get the channel free of you buy wiispeak? The word free tells me you can buy the channel without it.

You can buy the channel separately I think, otherwise why would Nintendo be saying you get the channel free of you buy wiispeak? The word free tells me you can buy the channel without it.

That's an excellent idea, charge money for a Channel that you can't use without the peripheral which is in the NAME of the Channel, and with which you get the Channel for free anyway. : peace:

That's an excellent idea, charge money for a Channel that you can't use without the peripheral which is in the NAME of the Channel, and with which you get the Channel for free anyway. : peace:

lawl, never thought of it that way.

I just presumed it opened up the possibility that you can use different headsets and such somewhere down the line!!

I just presumed it opened up the possibility that you can use different headsets and such somewhere down the line!!

Yeah, it can open the possibility, but that one doesn't make money for Nintendo :P

My eyes are bleeding.

I forgot about the channel. I guess I'll buy the bundle and hope a headset comes out before The Conduit.

Talk about overreaction, jeez. Is it that much of a pain? I honestly don't see the problem. Also infinitely better solution depending on different SKUs? Aw hell no! I mean, the wired headset which has disgusting sound quality is 22€ and the wireless, which I never used, so I don't know how the quality is, costs 55€.

I don't really understand the premise: how often are you going to be playing AC as a group? And if you're in a group, why would the person on the other end want to hear you and your mates chatting?

Are you sure the headset comes with the premium 360, cause I think that's the elite, which, well, is expensive. The PS3 accepting all headsets, which I didn't know, that is indeed an elegant solution.

Nah, Premium as well.

And so what if it's wired, the wire's near the Wii it doesn't bother the player, not to mention this way there's no need for batteries. I can understand, although not share the sentiment, that you don't want them hearing everything in the room, but the 360 headset also picks up a lot of background voices and noise, not to mention, when the firmware allows Wii Speak, it's possible it will alow another type of mic/headset. I for one, began liking the idea so much I bought a similar mic for my PC and it's much less cumbersome

Since when does the 360 headset pick up lots of background noise? It's pretty much impossible to hear anything else but their voice, when you have to make sure the mic is right by your mouth, for someone to hear you.

A lot of times actually, specially games like AC I like playing with friends., not to mention it's much more comfortable than having a headset.

Well I saw Premium's description on Wiki and it didn't say so and a friend of mine bought a Premium and it didn't have one, maybe it's something recent.

The headset picks up the noise, but that's just it, noise, it hardly picks up the voice well, but it picks up a lot of other stuff it just comes out mumbled, at least when I'm playing online I can hear loads of noise.

I don't really understand the premise: how often are you going to be playing AC as a group? And if you're in a group, why would the person on the other end want to hear you and your mates chatting?

Nah, Premium as well.

Since when does the 360 headset pick up lots of background noise? It's pretty much impossible to hear anything else but their voice, when you have to make sure the mic is right by your mouth, for someone to hear you.

Some good points, Animal Crossing isn't a multiplayer game, you play it on your own; and if theres a few people in your village, you still can't play it together, you take it in terms. But saying this, wiispeak isn't created for Animal Crossing, it represents their philisophy across the board, rooms speaking to rooms. Which, personally, works for me!

Some good points, Animal Crossing isn't a multiplayer game, you play it on your own; and if theres a few people in your village, you still can't play it together, you take it in terms. But saying this, wiispeak isn't created for Animal Crossing, it represents their philisophy across the board, rooms speaking to rooms. Which, personally, works for me!

I actually really like playing with other people while hanging out and it's great visiting other cities. Being a social experience, I think it makes perfect sense.

Well I saw Premium's description on Wiki and it didn't say so and a friend of mine bought a Premium and it didn't have one, maybe it's something recent.

Your mate must have been screwed over. I bought a Premium 3 weeks ago as a spare while my Elite was getting fixed, it had a headset with it.