NEurope
Cube

Google Street View

How would you know if it has a dog from a picture of the outside. Plus since its not 3D you wouldn't really be able to find the least visible side.

You telling me if you looked up a random house, saw it was surrounded by trees, very enclosed, you wouldn't be able to say it has a least visible side?

Taking photos of peoples houses from a satelitte is all well and good, but this is a step too far for me personally. I wouldn't want a picture of my house on the net for all to see.

You telling me if you looked up a random house, saw it was surrounded by trees, very enclosed, you wouldn't be able to say it has a least visible side?

Taking photos of peoples houses from a satelitte is all well and good, but this is a step too far for me personally. I wouldn't want a picture of my house on the net for all to see.

But it's exactly the same as someone standing outside and looking at it. I don't see the problem at all personally.

Ok, I just had epic funs.

Though America all looks the same.

But it's exactly the same as someone standing outside and looking at it. I don't see the problem at all personally.

The difference is one person out side your door compared to a potential 6 billion (estimation of people on earth) that could view your house online.

Yeah people walk passed, but criminals could use it to actively seek out houses that they may never have known about before hand.

How would you know if it has a dog from a picture of the outside. Plus since its not 3D you wouldn't really be able to find the least visible side.

Don't be picky, you know what I'm talking about.

But someone looking suspicious at the house, even if for a brief moment, can be detected by the owner or the neighbours.

I really don't see the problem. All your doing is moving past the house, as you would walking. It's no different, it's not as if someone in America is going to see your house, like the look of it and fly here just so rob it. So the 6 billion arguement is flawed. One person could walk past your house, and rob it - it's just chance.

It's not like you can enter someones house, check out all the entrances and exits and see when the house is free to rob is it? It's just a bit of helpful and interesting kit.

Surely with a picture from above you could be able to get a better layout of the house?

Surely with a picture from above you could be able to get a better layout of the house?

1. Google earth isn't as clear as the pics I saw of Street View

2. Not at all. From above you can not tell how tall a tree, bush or wall is.

Lol if i was gonna rob a house i certainly wouldn't think right lets go on street view and find a good house to rob. This guys gotta be kidding right?

Weren't there kids recently who were using Google Earth to scout out houses with pools so they could get drunk and go for a swim in a random person's pool? In the end, that's relatively harmless when all's said and done, but I just thought I'd throw it into the mix :P

2. Not at all. From above you can not tell how tall a tree, bush or wall is.

Actually, you can, roughly. Shadows and trig, matey, shadows and trig...

It's not though, because just having people standing outside limits it to only those nearby gaining knowledge of a house's vulnerable parts, while this would give anyone a chance to have a nosy and without even alerting neighbours or a dog.

To be honest though, these replies aren't surprising, since most people haven't really got a house of their own (not talking about student rented).

not talking about student rented

Why should people with student houses feel differently?

Why should people with student houses feel differently?

Because just renting a house doesn't give you the same "I care what happens to my house" feeling as someone who has worked all their life to pay off a mortgage on their house.

Quite obviously. And I've also been a student (just graduated). :p

Lol if i was gonna rob a house i certainly wouldn't think right lets go on street view and find a good house to rob. This guys gotta be kidding right?

You wouldn't think people would be sad enough to go through your rubbish to find receipts and other details. But it happens.

I still don't think that it would happend. The arguement that 6 billion people can see your house is stupid. Because you could then say that they have the option to view 1 billion other houses. you can only really see the front of your house and a bit of the side anyway. If you're that bothered then buy a dummy house alarm and stick it on the front. People will look at your house and move onto the next one.

The UK pictures are up. I went to check out my old house in Sheffield (the photos were likely taken while I was there) only to find out the entire street (it's a long street) was there, except for a small section which is where the house is.

LOL! I can see down my road, and I get around to the council flat-esque buildings which are in the foresty bit behind my house, but roadworks prevented them from getting to my house! :D

I actually remember seeing the google car with the big camera on top going around my area.

EDIT; Wait I was lying. You go a bit down my road, therefore seeing my house. Behind a tree.

Hahaha! you can actually see in mine and jayseven's windows on this!!!

edit: my car isn't parked there so i must've been out somewhere...

2nd edit: this is so cool, i can do a virtual walk to uni.

Edited by Shorty
actually, I probably *shouldn't* link you to where people live.

lol! I can see my house clearly on this, i can almost see into my room lol.
Mad, isn't it? :heh: if I hadn't had my curtains closed you would've been able to see my furniture, maybe me*!

*if I ignore what I said earlier about my car not being there

Mad, isn't it? :heh: if I hadn't had my curtains closed you would've been able to see my furniture, maybe me*!

*if I ignore what I said earlier about my car not being there

haha yeah, my window was open aswell but the curtains were down.

I cant see any UK pictures using the link on the first page, only USA, Europe, Japan and Australia. What's the deal?