NEurope
Cube

Google Street View

Today, a news article popped up on my homepage about people complaining at the prospect of a UK version of Google Street View.

So I had to check it out - it's pretty awesome:

http://maps.google.com/help/maps/streetview/

There seems to be thousands and thousands of panoramic pictures, all put together on a map with the ability to press an arrow to move down to the next bit of road. I for one would love a UK version of it.

Why are people so paranoid about this. Do they think its live video or something? I used it once. Its pretty good.

Its awesome, people are just fucking pricks about this kind of thing. Its no different to being in a Youtube video or something...

Thats...amazing!

Why would you complain about that? It would be so utterly useful when planning to go somwhere, checking out where shops are etc. I love it!

I can see why, though I also think the world is full of dicking bores, they need to get over it and accept that technology is doing stuff like this! There's no sinister edge to this, though it IS a bit weird that people could use it to eye up your house a bit, and you just know that people will. It's such a minor thing though, I don't take issue with it personally.

I can see why, though I also think the world is full of dicking bores, they need to get over it and accept that technology is doing stuff like this! There's no sinister edge to this, though it IS a bit weird that people could use it to eye up your house a bit, and you just know that people will. It's such a minor thing though, I don't take issue with it personally.

I agree, I've always hated it when people say man wasn't meant to use technology. How do you know what man was meant to do, maybe we were meant to use technology. Why would someone care about looking at pictures of your house though. Its not like they can spy on you with it as it isn't live. Just draw the curtains when having sex just in case and you should be fine.

Dude sounds like a retard, he has spasms every time he tries to say google.

This is pretty awesome! I wouldn't mind having something like this of my street/city, but we don't even have decent pictures on Google Earth, so I doubt it'll happen anytime soon. D:

You can hardly spy on people anyway. Not only is it not live but the camera only moves across the street. Meaning you can only view the house from the street, not go looking round it. There are plenty of bigger dangers out there.

Is it just me or does the guy in the video look like a complete retard with his tight orange top?

Holy mother of god, that's awesome!

Gotta love Google and their almost limitless piles of cash sometimes! :heh:

I really, really hope they bring this to the UK - if people really, really don't want to be seen on it, if you see a car with a load of cameras on the roof coming your way ,then look in the other direction...

Wasn't this first created like... ages ago? I know they didn't make a big deal out of it.. but..

Its been in america for a while and didn't become that well known until a few months ago when a couple took Google to court because they claimed Google had to have gone on their property to take some of the pictures. My opinion is they don't understand the service or technology at all and probably just wanted free money.

But, people are talking about it now because its coming to the UK.

It is indeed a very interesting feature, but I can easily understand that some people may not wish for their property to be shown to everyone on the internet. If this was to be implemented, people should be noted and asked to opt out if they don't wish to be a party of it (think black box in place of a house). That's what I think, anyway.

Maybe people are worried about being spotted doing something like the US?

2h7dgtt.jpg

It is indeed a very interesting feature, but I can easily understand that some people may not wish for their property to be shown to everyone on the internet. If this was to be implemented, people should be noted and asked to opt out if they don't wish to be a party of it (think black box in place of a house). That's what I think, anyway.

I don't think there's anything illegal about it though so they'd never do something like that.

From what i've played about with so far you can't even go into residential areas

Maybe people are worried about being spotted doing something like the US?

If someone spots you doing something bad or illegal then you can't sue them if they let others know.

I can understand their worries, imagine someone using this to find the best spot to break in a house, the least visible side, which windows, if it has a dog, etc...

I can understand their worries, imagine someone using this to find the best spot to break in a house, the least visible side, which windows, if it has a dog, etc...

How would you know if it has a dog from a picture of the outside. Plus since its not 3D you wouldn't really be able to find the least visible side.