Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Football Season 2008/2009

Ramar

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who were Man Utd playing tonight/what competition?

They played against Zenit St Petersburg in the UEFA Super Cup. Basically, the winner of the Champions League plays the winner of the UEFA cup.

I think tonight was probably Nani's worst performance in a Manchester United shirt. I can't recall any of his crosses ever beating the first man. Both Wes Brown and Park produced good balls into the box when they came on, and it's a shame that Park didn't start, as he looked pretty enthusiastic and decent on the ball tonight.

I thought Tevez had a great game, the little terrier. It's a shame he didn't bag a goal, although he did have a hand in the goal. Although, there were a few pluses tonight that we can take from the game. Seeing Gary Neville play again was a big boost for me, as well as Park. And, despite Nani's poor game, you know he'll improve over time, so seeing him back is a plus, too. We definitely looked a lot better when our subs came on, which just shows you how a fresh pair of legs can change the way things are going. It's just a shame we couldn't have gone on to get a second, but that's football.

Jesus, Paul Scholes is a fool for getting himself sent off. As far as top players go for our club, I consider him to be up there as one of our biggest players. But, he doesn't half make some reckless decisions. As soon as he got the yellow, I just knew he was not going to end the game on a good note. Aw well, he's always been that way, but still. You'd have thought he'd have learned by now.

I thought Zenit looked great in the first half, as well as particular moments in the second. I'll be interested in seeing how they perform in the Champions League. The best of luck to them, hope they do well.

Also, I'm a bit sad to see Saha gone. It's so frustrating, because if his fitness level wasn't so poor, he could really have had a great spell at United. It was very difficult for him to get a decent run going, as it was always stop-start with injuries. As a fan, it's fucking frustrating to see the player spend more time on the bench than they do on the field, especially as he could have offered so much more.

Like Zenit, I hope he does well in the future.

Guest Stefkov

I didn't watch the match but I understand what you say about Park. He's so energetic all the time. I can't remember the last time he was injured so he's not really out all the time. I wish he'd get played more. He's an extremely good player. Much better than Fletcher imo.

I didn't watch the match but I understand what you say about Park. He's so energetic all the time. I can't remember the last time he was injured so he's not really out all the time. I wish he'd get played more. He's an extremely good player. Much better than Fletcher imo.

I think the crowd respond to Park, because of his attitude. Like Tevez, and probably Kuyt for Liverpool.

About Fletcher though: I'm going to get stick for this, but I really like the guy. For a player to accept that he'll not be playing week in week out, and to be in the shadow of his "bigger" team-mates, that must be a pretty hard thing to do. But, whenever he comes in, I can never say that he hasn't done a good job. He's actually given some superb performances over the years, particularly against bigger clubs.

He may not play every game, but when he gets his chance, I do think he reaches out for it with both hands. Really like the guy.

Guest Stefkov

I agree with you there. I remember reading in the paper he said that he isn't staying at United because he's a Scot and Fergie's a Scot. He's staying because Fergie sees him as a good player. Which he is. To be at United you have to be, but I rate Park higher than him.

He may have gotten the 2 vital goals the last two games but I think the effort Park puts into his performance, from the get go, he is like Rooney and Teves, chasing down the ball.

In the end I just wish Park got more games. If Fergie gives him some more first team starts he could get even better.

I agree with you there. I remember reading in the paper he said that he isn't staying at United because he's a Scot and Fergie's a Scot. He's staying because Fergie sees him as a good player. Which he is. To be at United you have to be, but I rate Park higher than him.

He may have gotten the 2 vital goals the last two games but I think the effort Park puts into his performance, from the get go, he is like Rooney and Teves, chasing down the ball.

In the end I just wish Park got more games. If Fergie gives him some more first team starts he could get even better.

To be fair to them both, they are both two different types of players. Park, as you said, chases everything, and is much more of a Rooney/Tevez type character. I'd compare Fletcher more to the likes of Michael Carrick. Playing reserved a lot of the time, and being solid and keeping that composure.

I'm pleased to see Fletcher making nice little runs into the box, though. He should do this more often, as he does have a knack for scoring goals. He's picked up a few over the years, and he needs to build on this.

I think Park does need more games, but with Ronaldo out for a while, I think he'll get his chance. What I'd like to see more from Park is more of the same, but with an end product. He's scored quite a few goals, so I'd like to see him bang in a load more this season. Like I've said in my other posts, if we can get a load of goals from our midfield, then we'll be difficult to stop.

I wouldnt.

Juve really aren't they team they once where. I watched them capitulate against Hamburg at the Emirates Cup. I can see Zenith stealing 2nd spot from them, after all who from Real Madrid or Juventus are going to be up for a trip to St. Petersburg in the middle of November.

Juve really aren't they team they once where. I watched them capitulate against Hamburg at the Emirates Cup. I can see Zenith stealing 2nd spot from them, after all who from Real Madrid or Juventus are going to be up for a trip to St. Petersburg in the middle of November.

I remember I used to be terrified of Man United playing Juventus in the Champions League, when I was younger. They were a class team back then, and could turn a game around in an instant.

I agree with you, though. They really aren't the same team. :(

Guest Stefkov
Like I've said in my other posts, if we can get a load of goals from our midfield, then we'll be difficult to stop.

I think this is the main reason, along with the passes from midfield why United aren't playing their best.

We have I think the most solid defence in the Premier League. The Vidic and Ferdinand partnership is the best centre back partnership I've seen. Just look at the goals conceeded. The left back position is Evra's to keep I think, he beat Heinze to the spot and they've gotten rid of Silvestre. Brown had an awesome season last year, I think Neville will be fighting for that spot.

If United midfielders get scoring more like you said and they get better passes into Rooney, when he's playing like he did on the first game, I think the team would be complete.

so you're saying that Zenith wont beat BATE at home, because ill take that wager.

Ahh, a winner is you.

I think this is the main reason, along with the passes from midfield why United aren't playing their best.

We have I think the most solid defence in the Premier League. The Vidic and Ferdinand partnership is the best centre back partnership I've seen. Just look at the goals conceeded. The left back position is Evra's to keep I think, he beat Heinze to the spot and they've gotten rid of Silvestre. Brown had an awesome season last year, I think Neville will be fighting for that spot.

If United midfielders get scoring more like you said and they get better passes into Rooney, when he's playing like he did on the first game, I think the team would be complete.

We definitely need to start getting into the knack of scoring goals, and scoring from everywhere. Set plays, crosses, playing through the middle, playing out wide, everywhere. Last season, we scored a lot of goals from a lot of different situations. We need variety. Corners allow for Vidic and Ferdinand to come up and maybe grab a goal or two.

I do think our defence is sorted, too. But, we didn't look great tonight. I think it's still early days as its early into the season, but we do have our main shape now and just need to build around that. I think most of our problems will be from the midfield upwards this season.

Great goal by Scholes! dear oh dear what was he doing?

I think last night proved even more how much we need a tall hit man up front. Every cross that came in no one got on the end. Was terrible. Zeint deserved the win.

Thought we played better second half and could have got back into it but again we need that goal poacher. Can't see it happening to be honest.

At least we got rid of Saha :)

Zenit are a very good side though, I'd put money on them finishing above either Real or Juventus in their Champions League group

So would I, they are a very good side and also very good to watch, always play really attacking football. Did they not beat Bayern Munich 4-0 last season in the UEFA Cup?

About Fletcher though: I'm going to get stick for this, but I really like the guy. For a player to accept that he'll not be playing week in week out, and to be in the shadow of his "bigger" team-mates, that must be a pretty hard thing to do. But, whenever he comes in, I can never say that he hasn't done a good job. He's actually given some superb performances over the years, particularly against bigger clubs.

Fletcher only looks good because he's playing around amazing players. He's average at best when he pulls on a Scotland shirt. Gives away the ball all the time, his set pieces are frankly awful and he can't get the ball to the forwards.

Phew! Nice to see Barnsley finally have 3 points on the board. Please let us go on a bit of a run now. :smile:

Gutted for Derby fans to be honest though, I hope the board sack Jewell and get a manager who can give the fans the results they deserve (apart from when they play us obviously).

Phew! Nice to see Barnsley finally have 3 points on the board. Please let us go on a bit of a run now. :smile:

Gutted for Derby fans to be honest though, I hope the board sack Jewell and get a manager who can give the fans the results they deserve (apart from when they play us obviously).

We played so bad today. 2-0 isnt a fair results on their part but im pleased we finally got a win and moved from the bottom of the table :P. Fucking awesome goal by Hume though. Cant wait to see it on Championship tomorrow morn

We played so bad today. 2-0 isnt a fair results on their part but im pleased we finally got a win and moved from the bottom of the table :P. Fucking awesome goal by Hume though. Cant wait to see it on Championship tomorrow morn

Yeah, we were very poor in the first half, Steele made a few vital saves to keep us in it, but I'll take the 3 points though.

Another 3 points at Blackpool will do nicely in a couple of weeks.

It was great to see Muller back, even on the bench, all we need now is to get Anderson De Silva back and we'll start looking like a much better side. : peace:

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!