NEurope
Ramar

Football Season 2008/2009

well anything less than 5th will cost Mark Hughes his job at City ;)

it'll be your usual suspects going for it, just depends who spends the wisest in the summer :)

but I'll say Everton and Villa battling out for it again, maybe even closing the gap to 4th as well

Haha, damn. It's meant to say finish fifth this year. But, I forgot one important word - fifth.

Haha.

Man United to finish fifth would be a Godsend. :wink:

What about old Frank Lampard then? Off to Inter it would seem.

Frank Lampard arrived in the peninsula this weekend to complete his £7.5m transfer to Inter.

Sad to see him leave the Premier League, but its not often we see top English players moving abroad... top bloke. Inter are gonna rock... can't wait for the next Pro Evo! :bowdown:

Sad to see him leave the Premier League, but its not often we see top English players moving abroad... top bloke. Inter are gonna rock... can't wait for the next Pro Evo! :bowdown:

The only thing I'll miss about fat Frank is singing chants at the pie eater.

You can still sing chants at the pie eater, (skinny) Frank Lampard leaving the country shouldn't mean you stop doing that. Especially if its something your gonna miss.

What source are you using for Fatty Frank Lumplards transfer news? I can't find it anywhere.

If you leave out the fat/ fatty variations when you search for info then you might have more joy. :heh: Apparently Frank has now signed for Inter. £7.5m deal, four year contract, earning him £5.8m per season. :o

Apparently Inter have also forked out £27m to sign Quaresma. Big spenders.

If you leave out the fat/ fatty variations when you search for info then you might have more joy. :heh: Apparently Frank has now signed for Inter. £7.5m deal, four year contract, earning him £5.8m per season. :o

Apparently Inter have also forked out £27m to sign Quaresma. Big spenders.

Notice how no reputable football news sites, ie BBC and Sky Sports have nothing on said transfer..

[Note sources have said Inter are interested, but nothing of a signed deal]

Is Lampard really only worth £7.5m? He is old, but I would've thought he'd worth at least twice that much considering Alan Hutton was £9m...

Yeah I noticed that about it not being on Ceefax and whatever, but that site had news of the Riise transfer to Roma before I saw it anywhere else, as well as other bits and bobs in the past that aren't usually reported on the BBC or Sky anyway. We shall see. It is/ would be a big move for Frank to uproot and go to Italy but it would be a good move too- if he thinks Scolari will freeze him out, then he should get out while he can.

Maybe pompey. Or stoke.

Il get my coat.

Agreed we will...

well anything less than 5th will cost Mark Hughes his job at City ;)

it'll be your usual suspects going for it, just depends who spends the wisest in the summer :)

but I'll say Everton and Villa battling out for it again, maybe even closing the gap to 4th as well

Yeah I feel the same, I think for Pompey the level we are at now is where we will remain for the time being I think we will flirt with challenging for 4th/5th but in the end ebb away...

Agreed we will...

Yeah I feel the same, I think for Pompey the level we are at now is where we will remain for the time being I think we will flirt with challenging for 4th/5th but in the end ebb away...

I think there's 3 things a team needs to challenge for 4th or 5th, and maybe beyond that one day.

1. Quality players. First of all, you need your star players who will be the heart of the team. Liverpool have Steven Gerrard, Everton have the likes of Tim Cahill or Mikel Arteta (providing he's still staying with them/not gone already). Pompey need that, somebody who is the beating heart of the team. A leader who will take control of a game, and spur the team on to go for the win, or to keep a lead and maintain it. Every team, no matter what team, league or position you're fighting for, needs a heart.

2. Depth of squad. Arguably, this is where Man United and Chelsea are dominating at the moment. You need to have a good selection of players, and to have the ability to bring in a player as a sub to change the way the match is going. Also, every team will go through a spell where their key players are injured, and this is where you need depth in your squad, to be able to bring somebody in when they're need, to do the job well, and to keep the momentum going. I think this is where most teams below the top 4 stumble.

3. Luck. A lot can happen in a season, such as key players getting injured, emotional or other issues that take place off the pitch. For a season to go really well, you need luck. You always need your fair share of luck game to game, with other teams stumbling (because they will - no team is unbeatable) and with refs having off games.

I think Pompey are doing well. I'm pleased to see them doing well because I respect their manager, and I enjoy watching them play. There's always room for improvement, but I think they just need to expand on the building base that they have now. Expand on it, strengthen it, and keep doing so.

That does open the door for Lampard to leave, but personally I don't see Deco being better than Lampard would be.

I think Deco will be better for the team but individually no way.

We'll see though. Deco should at least be entertaining to watch... fingers crossed.

I hope w/ Scolari and Deco that Chelsea finally will kick ass in the Premier League and CL....

if you think Drogba is a diver, he ain't got nothing on Deco :D

I hope w/ Scolari and Deco that Chelsea finally will kick ass in the Premier League and CL....

So winning two premier league titles, a fa cup and league cup, losing in the CL final last year on penalties and reaching several semi finals in the last few years. Isn't enough for a team that didn't win a league title for over 50 years?

Interesting how a few billion quid changes the hopes and ambitions of a club that use to except finishing outside the top 3.

So winning two premier league titles, a fa cup and league cup, losing in the CL final last year on penalties and reaching several semi finals in the last few years. Isn't enough for a team that didn't win a league title for over 50 years?

Interesting how a few billion quid changes the hopes and ambitions of a club that use to except finishing outside the top 3.

lol, so true. We did pretty we last season everything considered so I'm not going to complain.

When Chelsea didn't win anything and with the shear amount of money Abramovich has pumped into them if he wants to fire the coach, he can fire the coach.

First signing :D

Magpies Sign Argentine Ace

ARGENTINA international Jonas Gutierrez has become Newcastle United's first signing of the summer.

The right-sided attacker joins the Magpies from Spanish outfit RCD Mallorca on a five-year deal for an undisclosed fee.

Gutierrez has the nickname "Spiderman" for wearing the superhero's webbed mask during flamboyant goal celebrations.

And the move to St. James' Park comes as a perfect birthday present for the wide player, who turns 25 on Saturday.

Jonas said: "I cannot tell you how excited I am to be joining Newcastle United.

"The Premier League is a great place to play and I cannot wait to meet my new team-mates and prove myself to the Newcastle United fans."

United boss Kevin Keegan added: "Jonas is a wonderful signing for us.

"I know a lot of other clubs have been interested in him. He'll be a terrific addition to the squad.

"He's an exciting player and I'm sure our fans will enjoy watching him."

Jonas began his career with Velez Sarsfield in his native Argentina, helping the club win the Primera Division title in 2005 before moving to Spain.

He won his first cap against France in February 2007. Most recently, he played for his country on June 18 in a 0-0 World Cup qualifying draw away to Brazil in Belo Horizonte.

As a result, Jonas will now have a break before linking up with his new colleagues for pre-season training later this month.

United fans will be able to see Jonas in action in the pre-season friendlies against PSV Eindhoven (August 6) and Valencia (August 9) at St. James' Park.

449887562.jpg

Pompey and City were supposed to be after him as well

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2007/12/06/ufnportsmouth106.xml

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/eriksson-spins--web-to-lure-pound7m-spiderman-767568.html

I really do not like what Gareth Barry's been doing over his desire to move to Liverpool. The fans are turning on him because of his undignified behaviour regarding this, which is a shame as he's been great over the last decade.

Oliver Holt mentioned this in his column in the Daily Mirror, and he got it absolutely spot on:

What a shame Gareth Barry has surrendered all his dignity in his desperation to get away from Villa Park.

Barry launched a remarkable attack on Aston Villa boss Martin O'Neill this week and claimed O'Neill had been too busy working as an analyst at Euro 2008 to talk to him about his wish to move to Liverpool.

Do Barry and his agent, Alex Black, really think Villa fans are that stupid? Do they not think they have insulted them enough already?

Barry has made it plain for quite some time now that his heart is set on a transfer to Anfield.

No one's denying him the right to ask for a move. It's just a shame that he and Black couldn't have gone about the whole thing with just the smallest shred of class.

I don't really need to add anything else to this, as he's said exactly what I think.

On a lighter note:

Looks like we'll be getting Paul Robinson soon. I'm not too excited, as he hasn't been too good lately. But I reckon Martin O'Neill will bring out the best in him and he'll reclaim his form.