NEurope
Ramar

Football Season 2008/2009

There wasn't much positive to take from the (England) match other than the final result and the 3 points. But then again that isn't our first eleven by any stretch of the imagination. so all in all, its job done and lets move on.

The positive.

Despite the pre-match talk of crouch only playing because there was no-one else, he turned out one of our best performances. so well done crouchy (personally, i don't rate him either :grin: but you've got to admire him for his effort tonight).

John Terry, captain marvel. didn't really have much to do, but him and Rio kept alert and delt decisively with most of what was thrown at them (to steal alan hansen's phrase "poor defending" on their goal). But Terry also played a major part in both our goals, deservedly being awarded man of the match.

Gerrard and Rooney's linking was the final positive for me. It looked pretty decent at times, and as they get used to each other its only going to get better.

The negative.

Half of the players didn't seem up for the game, in my opinion James, Cole (who i'm also not a fan of), Johnson, Barry, Lampard and Lennon (again someone who i'm not a fan of) were nowhere near playing to their potential. And those remaining (bar Rooney), didn't really have much impact on what was in all fairness a dull game.

As Flinky said if Rooney isn't supplied with anything he'll go looking to create something himself (something which should be admired), but do we really want a quality goal scorer to persistantly have to drop deep because a midfield with the likes of lampard can't seem to thread a decent ball through to him.

I was pretty dissapointed to not see carrick get introduced during the second half. Good at holding the midfield, excellent ball distibution & plays club football in the same team as our star forward (good chemistry). Why not give him a crack?? surely he couldn't do worse than lampard, who quite honestly might as well not have been there.

I would also like to question Capello on picking Lennon to start. Surely SWP from the start would have been the better option?? i just don't rate Lennon. he has so much potential yet he dissapoints everytime he recieves the ball. i just hope he has the dedication to work on his final product, because he could actually be good.

Finally, to save this going on too much (already has?? sorry :grin:), i was just dissapointed with our complacency. No urge to try anything from alot of the team, defenders trying to be fancy in the wrong areas of the pitch, stray 5 yard passes. I'm sure Capello will be fuming (and relieved).

I don't want to be overly harsh (most of the above is probably the WBA fan in me frustrated with football at the moment), because at the end of the day the team achieved what it set out to do in getting the 3 points. I just hope this complacent attitude doesn't arise against an opposition that is up for a scrap, because it could easily have gone tits up tonight.

So our Alan is confirmed as interim manager! Well, while I can't say I am anything but unsure abut whether he is a good manager or not, he and Kevin Keegan are the only two men in football who would be given a fair chance by our often over-vocal supporters.

On a blind-eye level, I personally feel very happy that one of my boyhood heroes is back where he belongs :) Let's hope it has the same effect on our campaign to stay in the Premiership.

I personally can't believe Shearer is Newcastle manager. Sure it was gonna happen one day but to give him the job with relegation looming and 8 games remaining is a bit of a strange one.

I personally can't believe Shearer is Newcastle manager. Sure it was gonna happen one day but to give him the job with relegation looming and 8 games remaining is a bit of a strange one.
I'm sure Lineker, Hansen and Lawrenson will help him out!

Go on N. Ireland :D.

*Is still doing victory dance around living room*

I feel sorry for Alan Shearer, as you know he will not be able to save Newcastle as it's sinking faster than a certain ship that was built in belfast.

He could be a great manager but if they go down he will always have that on his record even though its not his fault, though if he brings them back up next year then thats a differnt story :).

That has got to be the shittest refereeing of a match i've ever seen. Feel absolutely sick we were just robbed of 3 points. Fuming!

I didn't see the second half, but the refereeing in the first half definately went tottenham's way.

That being said spurs played blackburn off the park in the first half, definately deserving to go in 1 up.

I fucking hate the fact that blackburn have managed to get three points by (and i'm going by how the radio made it sound) taking off a forward and replacing him with a giant centre half and just hoofing it long and hoping for the best.

That aint football. I could go watch little league down the park on sundays and be more entertained.

Blackburn were awful the whole game, and in any case we deserved the one nil lead. The sending off is an absolute joke as Palacios didn't even touch the Blackburn player. That completely changed the texture of the game and ultimately cost us the two goals. Piss take.

The sending off made up for the joke penalty in the first half. Felt sorry for Harry Redknapp..... Not !!!!

Yer, the far inferior team on the day winning because of it, clearly makes up for a dodgy penalty given to the team that were dominating. Nice one.

Felt sorry for Harry Redknapp..... Not !!!!

Got to be a Pompy fan??

:EDIT:

Stoke are winning :cry:

Thats 88 minutes they have to sit behind the ball.

2 down now :shakehead

:(

Edited by DuD

Got to be a Pompy fan??

:(

Not at all, i support an inferior team apparently.

After today's shambolic show of strength of character I really feel we (Sunderland) are well and truly up the shitter.

Even though we hammered the hammers for long periods we had no cutting edge and no real character after coming undone from two break away goals. We've so much stupidity in our team it's cost us 20 points this season - from when we've been in the lead.

The amount of times I've seen us take a short corner only to end up picking the ball out of our own net is just harrowing. The backbone of our squad has no football brain. And Ricky Sbragia is turning into a joke. We play the same tactics/formation/substitutes every game. Cisse and Jones are in a lull (With Cisse just being a 'dick' of late) - yet we don't even give Healy a chance and we have a £5mil rated striker out on loan. Instead we put Murphy on the pitch or play 1 upfront. JOKE!

Our midfield has the touch of a rapist and we're expecting Malbranque to pick up the pieces when he's playing around clowns who's only jokes are on our defenders who must be shitting themselves when Whitehead or Leadbitter get the ball.

Today Ricky says: "We had a couple of half chances, a few long range efforts but at 2-0 as far as I was concerned the game was over." I MEAN... WTF! You go for it at 2 down. You just go all out.

We are a shambles. Poor manager - team needs leadership (not in the Roy Keane 'I'll nut you' vein neither!) If it wasn't for West Brom we'll surely be seeing all 3 North East teams relegated this season.

I fear the worst - again! We need a saviour...Dare I say "Peter Reid" lol

/rant

Edited by tapedeck

From following the text updates on the BBC site it looked like its easily a deserved win. Phew! Top of the league...!

So the 2 top teams who ended on a low before the international break meet tomorrow. Who do people think have the edge?

could go either way.

We have Vidic, Scholes and Rooney banned. Berbatov Injured, Tevez knackered after getting back from Argentina late last night and Rio Ferdinand with a dodgy back.

Gotta hope Ronaldo has a good game.

Today Ricky says: "We had a couple of half chances, a few long range efforts but at 2-0 as far as I was concerned the game was over."

That is fucking shocking.

You just go all out.

Absolutely bang on. Mowbray has really impressed me the last 2 games, because when things (inevitably) go tits up, he is willing to go to 4 forwards, and use Brunty to run the whole left side. (Chris Brunt :bowdown:)

If it wasn't for West Brom we'll surely be seeing all 3 North East teams relegated this season.

Go and wash your mouth out with soap boy.....and then think about what you've said :heh:

it ain't over till West Brom say so :D

Or till it becomes mathematically impossible to survive.

pmsl.

Footy eh... *sigh*