NEurope
Daft

Euro 2008: Who Will You Support?

well I got the winner right today :)

Russia well deserved winners, they are an awesome team going forward, if they had their shooting boots on tonight they could have had 6 or 7 from all those chances they wasted.

Russia Germany final I think

A Russia Germany final would suit me fine...but saying that, both teams will probably get knocked out of the next round.

I think very few people would have predicted Russia or Turkey, or even Germany to be in the semi-finals this year. :)

I guess Russia showed those millionaires....Seems like the team with heart marches on.

If their finishing improves I can see them winning this. I think Spain are the best team left in it but after tonights performance Russia are the ones to watch. I still feel Germany lack something and Turkey have half their 1st team lacking for the next game.

Definately interesting!

And with the exception of Russia, neither Germany or Turkey deserved it.

well Germany were pre tournament favourites so semi final would be expected ;)

and if you've had the chance to see any of the Russian teams in European football this season you would know they have some very good players.

I'll give you Turkey though, only ahead for a total of 2 minutes in all games in the tournament and they're in a semi :)

I guess Russia showed those millionaires....Seems like the team with heart marches on.

If their finishing improves I can see them winning this. I think Spain are the best team left in it but after tonights performance Russia are the ones to watch. I still feel Germany lack something and Turkey have half their 1st team lacking for the next game.

Definately interesting!

I think anyone could win it. Ideally I want to see Germany v Italy in the final and Italy winning the competition, but really, its anyones. Russia weren't meant to beat Holland and Turkey...? Well would anyone have predicted them to get to the last four? Its wide open. If Turkey can pull one out against Germany then who would bet against them in the final? Same with Russia... and to be honest I wouldn't hate it if any of them win Euro 2008.

I want Italy obviously to be champions, but all the teams have proven themselves.

Considering what Italy played, why would anyone root for them?

On the flip side, the Dutch steamrolled their way out of the group and lost tonight. I always support Italy so I can only hope they are gonna get it together. :) Twill be difficult against Torres, the darling of the Merseyside, but forza Italia!!

well Germany were pre tournament favourites so semi final would be expected ;)

and if you've had the chance to see any of the Russian teams in European football this season you would know they have some very good players.

I'll give you Turkey though, only ahead for a total of 2 minutes in all games in the tournament and they're in a semi :)

Were Germany pre-tournament favourites?! I always thought it was Portugal being touted as the team to walk away with it?

Shino: Germany deserve to be where they are. They were much more organised and structured than Portugal. The key to stopping Portugal playing was to give them less time and space on the ball, and Germany did that. It was a much more defensive orientated game, but I think they deserved to win the game more than Portugal.

Turkey are an enigma. No team can really accidentally end up in a semi-final, and knock out the likes of Croatia. Croatia probably deserved to win that game, but the simple fact is that they didn't make the most of their opportunities, and at this level you really have to. If you're in a penalty shootout, then it's all down to luck in the end, and nerve.

Well done Russia. I was hoping Holland would win but Russia fully deserved the victory, mightily impressed by Arshavin and Pavluchenko. Just hard to imagine that if England got a better result during qualifying then Russia wouldn't be in the tournament at all!

I'm not sure who will win between Italy and Spain. You could argue that Spain are due a 'bad game' since they've won all their group games while Italy only just scraped it through their group. Will be another interesting match but I am hoping that Torres and Villa will get past the Italian defence.

Were Germany pre-tournament favourites?! I always thought it was Portugal being touted as the team to walk away with it?

When are the Germans not favourites? Just because Portugal got better in the last ten years doesn't make them favourite against the Germans.

Shino: Germany deserve to be where they are. They were much more organised and structured than Portugal. The key to stopping Portugal playing was to give them less time and space on the ball, and Germany did that. It was a much more defensive orientated game, but I think they deserved to win the game more than Portugal.

Turkey are an enigma. No team can really accidentally end up in a semi-final, and knock out the likes of Croatia. Croatia probably deserved to win that game, but the simple fact is that they didn't make the most of their opportunities, and at this level you really have to. If you're in a penalty shootout, then it's all down to luck in the end, and nerve.

I think our defence fucked up, and its entirely fair for the Germans to take advantage of that, but I believe Portugal deserved it more for all the work they had. I could blame it on the referee for giving them a non existent free kick that originated the goal, or for not giving us an obvious penalty, but I don't need that because it was evident for everyone that until the last minute of the match our players kept going for it and the Germans couldn't move their legs, tired from just defending.

For me, a deserving team has to attack, and show some technical prowess, Germany just got lucky. In some way I find Turkey more deserving because they don't have a team like Germany but they give all they have to win.

Here's hoping the better team wins tomorrow.

And with the exception of Russia, neither Germany or Turkey deserved it.

What was wrong with Turkey? They came back from the edge. Held their own through extra time and pimpsmacked Croatia on penalties.

Turkey do deserve to be where they are on sheer guts, they have come back from the dead twice. I don't like them but its hard to knock them for that.

My two pre-tournament teams croatia and holland have both gone now...so I don't really care all that much. It's Italy for me now...but thats not gonna happen.

What was wrong with Turkey? They came back from the edge. Held their own through extra time and pimpsmacked Croatia on penalties.

Well Croatia were the better team that night you know.

Have people forgotten about spain?! They now have a great chance of winning this, and for the first time i think. The perennial underachievers shall shall achieve victory this time!

Turkey do deserve to be where they are on sheer guts, they have come back from the dead twice. I don't like them but its hard to knock them for that.

Throughout the whole tournament, they've been ahead for 2 and a half minutes.

Have people forgotten about spain?! They now have a great chance of winning this, and for the first time i think. The perennial underachievers shall shall achieve victory this time!

They wont beat Italy.

Well Croatia were the better team that night you know.

It showed. On account of them winning and all.

It showed. On account of them winning and all.

Most teams, if the other team score a goal right near the end of the 90 minutes or extra-time, just give up and admit defeat. But Turkey managed to nab an equaliser with the very last kick of extra-time. That must have knocked Croatia back because they thought "We've won this!". Even then, thinking like that probably allowed Turkey to score.

Croatia were the better team in terms of how they played in the match. But when it came down to penalties; Croatia ended up bottling it while Turkey held their nerve.

Anyway...

Italy V Spain tonight. Might be a good match, but it's going to be on the same time as Top Gear, isn't it?

Well, if that's the case, then I'm not watching the match. :blank:

Woah, didn't expect to be run over like that. What a contrast with the group stage, it's unreal.

But yeah, totally deserved. Rooting for Saint Gus from here on, though it'll be tough for them to get to the semifinal. I think whoever wins the Russia - Italy/Spain semifinal will win the tourney as well.

Most teams, if the other team score a goal right near the end of the 90 minutes or extra-time, just give up and admit defeat. But Turkey managed to nab an equaliser with the very last kick of extra-time. That must have knocked Croatia back because they thought "We've won this!". Even then, thinking like that probably allowed Turkey to score.

Croatia were the better team in terms of how they played in the match. But when it came down to penalties; Croatia ended up bottling it while Turkey held their nerve.

So neglecting the fact that Croatia's arrogance led to their defeat, they should've won.

So neglecting the fact that Croatia's arrogance led to their defeat, they should've won.

If they hadn't relaxed after they scored, yes they should've won.

How relaxed can you get in 1 minute? Croatia had no decision in this, it was down to pure Turkish luck.

If they hadn't relaxed after they scored, yes they should've won.

they hardly relaxed, hit and hope ball, fell nicely for turkey and bang in it went

Can't wait for tonight's game...I'm predicting it to be pretty decent.

3 - 1 victory for Spain, imo. Italy to also get a player sent off.

Fuck italy for how they've been playing this game. At least Spain has been trying to play good football.