NEurope
Coolness Bears

Musical Instruments

Seriously though, knowing how to play would only make me frustrated... As what I want is not "knowing how to play", I could be the world's best player, that wouldn't really matter to me... I would definitely feel frustrated when I knew how to play and realized I can't create, though. :heh:

The electric guitar as been calling me ever since I heard Canon Rock. Maybe one day.

Bard of course, I'm not arguing that, I'm just saying what happens to some people. It certainly is great to like something and understand what's going on, specially if it's possible to maintain a distance and enjoy it even if isn't a musical wonder or masterpiece. It certainly increases the satisfaction when hearing something that's hard to play or fantastically composed the problem is that sometimes, a song someone would like ends up ignored because it's "too easy" or "too simple", know what I'm sayin?

Also, if I pick up the guitar more seriously this summer need to find a cheap amp that does its job.

I play both the B flat clarinet and the alto sax. My school's band program is actually considered to be one of the best in north america. I play Clarinet at school and take private lessons with the sax, but next year I may switch to sax at school.

I can play the Bass, but haven't done in ages, and regret giving up lessons...

Also, everyone in my primary school had to (for some bizarre reason) in one of the younger years (3 I think...) learn to play the Ocarina. :D

Seriously though, knowing how to play would only make me frustrated... As what I want is not "knowing how to play", I could be the world's best player, that wouldn't really matter to me... I would definitely feel frustrated when I knew how to play and realized I can't create, though. :heh:

Why would you presume you wouldn't be able to create? Anyway, that's a frustration for any artist from time to time.

Bard of course, I'm not arguing that, I'm just saying what happens to some people. It certainly is great to like something and understand what's going on, specially if it's possible to maintain a distance and enjoy it even if isn't a musical wonder or masterpiece. It certainly increases the satisfaction when hearing something that's hard to play or fantastically composed the problem is that sometimes, a song someone would like ends up ignored because it's "too easy" or "too simple", know what I'm sayin?

Also, if I pick up the guitar more seriously this summer need to find a cheap amp that does its job.

Just because something is technically brilliant, doesn't mean it's a good piece of music, and similarly, only the shallow dismiss music because it's simple. The problem is when something is simple, dull and uninspired at the same time (ie. Oasis). Good musicianship isn't only defined through technical prowess, but also through, for example, how a particular chord change, or progression in the melody can evoke a particular response from the listener. That's why I don't like Yngwie Malmsteen and why I detest Angelo Batio; all their playing sounds like guitar exercises. Whats the point of playing an arpeggio so fast you can't distinguish between the notes?

Also: Cheap, and some of the time, expensive amps never do their jobs. What you need is a good pedal to get the right sound, and a guitar with a good set of pickups.

Well, as long as you think like that, it's OK in my book, but I do know lots of people who are like that

I just want to hook my guitar up to something to get some sound lol

i played the piano for 14 years n got to my grade seven!!!!

n played the violin and got to grade 4

n played the clarinet but i got faint when using it so it was given up

ive given them all up now as uni got too much but i managed yesterdya to play a long piece of music that i hadnt played in years on the piano

was hard but totally satisfying

As a young chap I played the descant/tenor recorder and then at ten started learning the oboe. I wish I had started guitar instead, something that I'd actually be interested in. I never practiced and got into bad habits with my playing and overall I just wasn't enjoying it. I quit at 16, got to about grade 5. Now if I want to learn a new instrument I'd have to fund it myself, and that would include lessons as I think I would be better motivated if I was paying some guy to make me good.

*sigh* My heavy metal dream will probably have to wait til after uni.

snythesizer. Well back when i was in a band now I just write stuff on piano. I usually think of a movie scene or a scene from a game(like oh i dont know. An underwater ice cave or something)

thats how i write stuff.. I am absoloutely rubbish at lyrics and writing popular music though I have no idea why haha.

Just because something is technically brilliant, doesn't mean it's a good piece of music, and similarly, only the shallow dismiss music because it's simple. The problem is when something is simple, dull and uninspired at the same time (ie. Oasis). Good musicianship isn't only defined through technical prowess, but also through, for example, how a particular chord change, or progression in the melody can evoke a particular response from the listener. That's why I don't like Yngwie Malmsteen and why I detest Angelo Batio; all their playing sounds like guitar exercises. Whats the point of playing an arpeggio so fast you can't distinguish between the notes?

Atta'boy! : peace:

Seriously, many times it's exactly the opposite, complexity = loss of feel. I can't feel shit when listening to Malmsteen, Satriani, Vai, Paganini, Batio, and so fucking on. As far as I'm concerned, it's not art, it's not music, it's a recreative masturbatory exercise... like sports or something. I can't get anything from it other than the occasionall "oooooooooo, pretty", I can feel no substance, there's nothing reaching out and touching me (excuse the slightly Depeche Mode-ish comment).

Actually, in recent years, I've developped a crush for drone and overall minimalism in music, I love it when they're able to keep it stupidly simple technically, yet extremely distressfull and complex, emotionally. You know? Like those 19-minute Burzum tracks? Damn... :heart:

Bear in mind, I have nothing against technicality! :D I love my fix of musical complexity as much as the next guy... :)

Saying Satriani has no soul or feeling rubs me the wrong way, I just feel that it's a generalization. It's true that there are times when he crosses the line and is just masturbating, but his songs are awesome, his last concert here in Lisbon was fucking sweet. I agree mostly about Vai and Malsteem, despite them being awesome in G3.

I started playing guitar at 13, but started learning bass soon after, cos it was way easier to play Blink 182 songs on. :heh: I started guitar on a crappy 3/4 size Spanish acoustic from Argos (woo) and used my school's bass to learn on. I think it was a Squier Precision bass. It was awful anyway, the action was miles between the strings and the fretboard and the strings themselves were rusty as frick. I got myself a Peavey Milestone III for my first bass:

bass.jpg

Which I'd recommend to any budding bassist, as it's pretty good for it's £120 (7 years ago) price tag. That did me proud for a few years, as I was in several bands and did my GCSE Music stuff with it, but I swapped it for a Squier Stratocaster guitar a couple of years ago, after I got my new bass. It's improved my guitar playing immensely and I'm pretty damn good at guitar too now! :heh: It's ok for dicking around on I suppose, but the bridge is a bit knackered so the E string slips out of it from time to time....

As for my current bass, I've got a Rickenbacker 4003. It's teh sex and I love it as much as anyone can love a chunk of wood.

4003.jpg

Me playing my Rick!

n825510091_2469402_5995.jpg

And my amp is a Hartke VX3500:

HartkeVX3500.jpg

I can also play keyboards to an extent and a minimal amount of drums too.

Some more riffs etc (first few riffs are my own shit, aswell as a crappy arrangement of toccata and fugue in d minor at the end).:

I highly disagree with this, loving music doesn't require an understanding, in fact in most cases it just turns people into elitists who only like (or pretend/force themselves to like) things that are hard to play, which I don't really care, it's their problem honestly. I think it's obvious where I'm getting at really :P

I highly disagree with this! Anyone can love music, it's all in the melody. Even an infant can enjoy music and get emotional over it, even though he doesn't has a clue what's going on...Where I'm trying to get at is that it isn't required to play an instrument to enjoy more or less music itself, but it gives you a whole new possibility frontier of the understanding of music while listening to it. the simple fact of playing an instrument can give you the pleasure of listening a song, picture it in your mind and think to yourself with a smile "oh! so that's what he does here! awesome!".

It's just the difference between being a man who enjoys music ( everyone does. I think it's a common human trait ) and a man who besides loving it goes deeper and understands it ( even if a little ). Me, I love music! Since I picked up a guitar i'm in love with music and it has a great importance in my life. I still enjoy simple music but also some things more complex. it's an evolution thing. It's like some guys who only like helicopters' games! ( LOL ) Me, I like those simple games, but what i prefer is something that gives you a learning curve. like rpgs for example. a guy can be elitist with music ( sem chegar a extremos e o caralho ) if suave! it's the same with games, you don't play shity games because you played during many years some of the greatest games that exist. agora tenho k me ir embora k me tão ali a chamar :smile:

My mate wrote this riff, for which I've harmonised the sweeping and tapping sections, and it's awesome:

It's fairly catchy. Shit, it's infinitely better than anything most metalcore bands can come up with.

It's fairly catchy.

I've listened to it 4 times and still couldn't tell you how it went without listening to it again

Shit, it's infinitely better than anything most metalcore bands can come up with.

yeah agreed

I guess it's just personal preference. I just don't like some uber-fast riff that, for me, is nothing but a collection of notes unless used to convey some kind of emotion within a song, or to spice something up etc. (i.e. there's got to be a point to it). Otherwise I don't see the difference between that and running your hand up and down a piano keyboard except that your's looks impressive

I highly disagree with this, loving music doesn't require an understanding, in fact in most cases it just turns people into elitists who only like (or pretend/force themselves to like) things that are hard to play, which I don't really care, it's their problem honestly. I think it's obvious where I'm getting at really :P

And I highly disgree with this. Being good at a musical instrument does not turn you into an elitist or make you want to like complicated things. In fact I much prefer good musicians who use instruments in different, (but often very simple) ways. Such as PJ Harvey as The Kills.

Would you please read what I wrote, I don't say that automatically happens or that understanding music is a bad thing, I said it happens in some cases (I wrote most unwillingly, which is why I have more than one post to explain my point of view) and it's detrimental.

If I thought it automatically happened, I wouldn't try to learn nor I would I like any music, because, theoretically those who compose music, know about it, so they would all be elitist assholes, hence I could not like their work.

What I said and what my point is that I hate people that think they can superimpose their musical taste on others because they "understand" it.

It certainly is great to like something and understand what's going on, specially if it's possible to maintain a distance and enjoy it even if isn't a musical wonder or masterpiece. It certainly increases the satisfaction when hearing something that's hard to play or fantastically composed