Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the demo I can't see how this game ranks anywhere near RE2, Viewtiful Joe or Okami. It is good, but not that good.

But I don't really think much of a perfect Famitsu 40 anymore since Nintendogs.

Demos don't make the whole game.

Let wait and see what cause the game to get 10/10/10/10 = 40/40 from the four reviewers if we do get the translation information.

Edited by Dante

No, true :heh: but it showcased many elements, the arcadey style opening with enemies flying at you from all directions - browsing by NPCs and reading signposts casually, many different weapons and attacks, a tutorial, a big boss.... Of course there's going to be a lot more to it. What I'm saying is that to me it felt like a 9/10 game (which is usually a must-have for me, if its a genre I like) not a 10/10 game.

1UP Famitsu Reviews

As reported earlier, Japan's Famitsu magazine gave a 40/40 score to the Xbox 360 version of Bayonetta, the 12th game in the history of the mag to achieve the feat and (after Dragon Quest IX and Monster Hunter Tri) the third "perfect" game this year alone.

Even more newsworthy, perhaps, is the fact that Sega's PS3 port of Platinum Games' Xbox 360 original got docked a couple points in the review standings. Three out of Famitsu's four reviewers brought up the PS3 version's graphics, one calling them "a bit less smooth than the Xbox 360 version" and another saying "the fun is the same, but the controls and overall look [on the PS3] feel a bit more unwieldy than the Xbox 360 one, which is a shame." This is important because Famitsu almost never gives different scores to individual releases of multiplatform titles, much less take points away from the 12th "perfect" game in their 23-year-long history of reviews. For Japanese readers, the message is pretty clear: If you buy the PS3 version, you aren't getting the Bayonetta we think is best.

That isn't the only noteworthy game to hit Japan next week, though. Some of the other highlights from this week's stable of Famitsu reviews:

- Tekken 6 (9/8/8/8, 33 points for both the PS3 and 360 versions): "I'm just overwhelmed by the 40-character roster," one writer said. "That alone gave me a lot to play with." Reviewers had many good things to say about the core arcade game, which "lets you enjoy the dynamic combat that's a hallmark of this series," but the original campaign mode isn't quite so hot: "The campaign mode gives you a lot of backstory in the movies, but the action itself is pretty bland."

- Final Fantasy Gaiden: 4 Warriors of Light (9/8/8/8, 33 points): "The story, music, and so on evokes memories of an older age," said one writer, "and it mixes well with the modern gameplay to make things seem pretty fresh." It's a very traditional RPG storywise, in other words -- "it's trite, yes, but there are some cute touches to it," as another put it. Praise also went out to the soundtrack, although some of "the more unique aspects of the gameplay" apparently take getting used to.

- Persona 3 Portable (8/8/8/8, 32 points): Essentially this is an updated PSP port of Persona 3: FES on the PS2. "The story doesn't change with the new heroine," one reviewer noted, "but there are enough differences in the Social Links to make it fun even for old players." Most of the other additions are pretty small in nature and serve to make the game easier to play: "Dropping the 3D map makes things look a little more plain, but movement is far quicker, making it good for multiple playthroughs."

- Sin & Punishment 2 (8/8/8/7, 31 points): The new Treasure game received a fair bit of excitement from Famitsu's editors, despite the usual Treasure-like challenge. "The game's remarkably compatible with the Wii remote," one wrote. "Aiming takes a while to get used to, but I couldn't imagine playing any other way by now." Criticisms included the long length of some stages, although "there are a lot of checkpoints, so replaying isn't that much of a pain."

Gamer Impressions

-Action is fast and fluid

-New enemies around every turn, have to change your tactics

-Great amount of options in battle, tons of combos to execute

-Flashy special moves (torture moves)

-Bosses are enjoyable and can be a crazy challenge

-Open to players of all backgrounds with the multiple difficulties that change more than just giving enemies more health / you less health or whatever

-Leaderboards for the ones all about scoring high

-Stuff for the hardcore players (challenge rooms, the Bloody Palace-esque thing)

-Tons of bonuses (extra weapons, costumes)

-Love the over the top dialogue / cutscenes.

PAL CE

jshfdv.jpg

Gamekult.com Import Review (PS3):

Fall into the malicious charm of Bayonneta, a watchdog capable to thumb their noses at the others beat'em all on its first attempt. Guided by the creator of Devil May Cry himself, the Platinum Games studio gave birth to a nice creature with a combat system which synthesized the best of the genre since the advent of Dante. Beautiful, rich, varied, with gigantic bosses, a dash of erotism and a lot of fun. Bayonetta is a straight success on many levels which make easy to forget some little flaws and archaic level design. But hey, when you go around naked...

+ awesome game system

+ Bayonetta !

+ well done checkpoints

+ crazy bosses

+ madness to the fullest

+ well made graphics/design

- loadings

- scenario

- off board scenes

- instant killed QTE

- recycling (bosses, environments)

8/10

IGN - Bayonetta: Rediscovering the Beauty of Combat

It's hard to say exactly when I fell in love with Bayonetta (both the character and the game). It was somewhere between watching her breakdance mid-combat while firing off blasts from the shotguns mounted on her stiletto heels, and laughing as she heals herself with a delicious lollipop. There is more style in Bayonetta than most other modern action titles combined, and that blistering sense of style is complemented by some of the most rewarding, fluid combat I've ever experienced.

Yes, you should be excited about Bayonetta.

Following in the footsteps of such over-the-top games as Devil May Cry 3 and Metal Gear Solid 4, Bayonetta is a high-style action game from Hideki Kamiya and his team at PlatinumGames. In Bayonetta, players take control of an extremely powerful, sensual witch by the same name and guide her in her efforts to hunt down the angel legions. Although third-person action games are a dime a dozen, Bayonetta is a truly special affair. And being able to finally enjoy some extended hands-on time with the game was a real pleasure.

First and foremost: there is no way I could possibly describe everything I like about Bayonetta thus far. But to say that it has trounced Devil May Cry 3 -- my favorite action game of all time -- should demonstrate the kind of quality we have on our hands.

One of the most brilliant things about Bayonetta as a whole is its ability to offer visual themes brimming with style -- yet Bayonetta is completely self-aware of its outlandish nature. It embraces its over-the-top cinematics and impossible action like a mother embraces her only child on the first day of school. This balance of serious action and sizzling stunts keeps Bayonetta constantly enjoyable.

At the heart of all this rabid gun-slinging, flipping and teasing is a virtually divine battle system very similar to Kamiya's previous work in the Devil May Cry franchise. Players control Bayonetta with the left stick and the face buttons handle punching, kicking, gun usage and the traditional jump. The right trigger is used for evasive techniques and the left trigger can be pulled to alternate between two different weapon sets.

In Bayonetta, our endlessly confident heroine can equip two different weapons at a time: one type for her hands and one type for her feet. For example, she starts the game with a set of four pistols that can be used with each limb. After progressing into the game, players will find a single pair of shotguns, and then a large Japanese sword. It's up to the player to decide what combination of weapons they'll take into battle. Will you equip pistols on your hands and the shotguns on your feet? Or perhaps you'll keep the pistols on your feet and carry the sword? Decisions, decisions. Once you have a set of weapons equipped, you can switch to the other set at any time during gameplay, giving you immense freedom to fight the way you want.

Although more techniques, weapons and items will be available to purchase later in the game, an enormous amount of combos are available right off the bat, and a detailed combo list actually keeps track of the cumulative number of times you've executed every combo in your arsenal. This means players looking to branch out and try something new can peruse the techniques list and see which set of moves they've avoided. This seemed so obvious to me after seeing it for the first time that I'm almost surprised it isn't more widely implemented in action games today.

Fighting the angelic legions in Bayonetta is no easy task, despite having a massive repertoire of deadly moves. Bayonetta's life drops quickly when hit and enemies are relentless and will gang up on you when given the chance. Fortunately, a well-timed dodge with the right trigger can save Bayonetta from almost any oncoming attack, but the evasive roll must be executed at the right time. Hitting the trigger a little too early or a little too late will result in a bruised ego and a diminished health bar.

Amazingly enough, every hit I took and every death I experienced was absolutely my fault. The game is more than fair -- it's just a serious challenge. This should absolutely appeal to gamers looking for a thrill, especially the crazy Ninja Gaiden types that eat difficulty for breakfast. But the real skill in Bayonetta comes from staying alive. Dodge quickly and dodge carefully in order to keep on top.

Players are rewarded for executing a perfect dodge with Witch Time. This temporarily slows down Bayonetta's enemies while keeping the bespectacled witch moving at full speed. This is a life-saver when the challenge of battle escalates, and it's also extremely fun to watch as Bayonetta carves through angels as they careen through the air in slow motion -- a torrent of blood, broken feathers and splintered bone raining to the ground.

If weaving together strings of visually appealing special moves wasn't enough, Bayonetta can also execute torture attacks using her dark arts. If Bayonetta's magic gauge is amply filled, a small button prompt will appear on screen, which usually involves hitting both the punch and kick buttons together to execute the special attack. These torture attacks can be powered up by mashing the button on screen and they usually dish out a hefty amount of damage to Bayonetta's halo-toting foes. They're also fantastic to watch, as Bayonetta kicks angels into iron maidens, drops massive spiked wheels onto their backs and holds them beneath a guillotine. "Brutal" does not begin to describe it.

As you can see, the Bayonetta battle system is built upon layer after layer of subsystems that all work together so well it feels almost otherworldly. The tight controls and frantic action are made infinitely more enjoyable by the game's visuals, which are stunning on all levels. Yes, most of Bayonetta's environmental traversal is fairly basic, but the emphasis here is on the combat, and that's where you'll be rewarded the most.

Although I didn't initially expect anything too compelling out of the plot line, I will admit that I am more than intrigued by Bayonetta's narrative. According to the Bayonetta mythos, the Umbran Witches and Lumen Sages have long protected the balance between darkness and light. However, after a series of unbalances, the Umbran Witches are almost completely extinct -- save Bayonetta herself. At the start of the game, Bayonetta is attempting to lure angels into the human realm by reading from the Bible in front of a casket... in a nun outfit... which she soon removes. Once again, despite the ridiculous nature of the cutscenes, there's so much pristine style to it all it's almost impossible not to love.

Bayonetta, of course, is the real object of the player's affection. Despite her occasional loss of clothing and overtly sexual behavior, she is an immensely powerful protagonist and she revels in her playful sensuality and unshakable confidence. It's almost as much fun to watch her interact with the other characters as it is to actually play the game.

Although I've invested several hours into Bayonetta, I feel like I've only just begun. This is the kind of action game players will be able to return to time and time again, and I'm more than eager to pick up the controller and race to the end.

Bayonetta will remind players how beautiful battle can be. January 5th can't come soon enough.

Gamers Review

Okay - finally, after almost 2 weeks with the game [i should say games, since I have both the XBOX 360 version and the PS3 version] I am here to give you my honest opinions about the game and the amazing OST that completes the experience.

First of all, the XBOX 360 version is DEFINITELY the Bayonetta experience to have - it is hands-down the better version; so here is my review of the XBOX 360 Bayonetta:

It is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!

By far, the best action game I have ever played - and I doubt it will be topped even by Kamiya-san himself.

1). Does it live up to the hype?

Answer: Yes, yes and YES! This game is non-stop intense from start to finish! The different modes are a blast to play and the difficulty settings are incredibly accurate - Normal is what I defaulted to and I had a megaton blast playing through it. It was difficult, but I didn't ever feel as though the game was "cheating" me at any point. Hard was next on my list and it was far tougher than Normal - It will truly test your reflexes and gaming skills! What is beyond that is spoiler territory and take my word for it - it makes hard look like Easy mode!

2). Is this game truly "Climax Action" meaning that it is literally non-stop action and reflex-based gaming"

Answer: YES! It begins with fast-paced gameplay and literally doesn't let up. I mean LITERALLY. The later stages get a bit frustrating due to the precision and reflexes needed to navigate through them - but perseverance will reward you with the knowledge that you have completed the best action game ever made. I guarantee it.

3). Boss fights? Are there a lot?

Answer: OH YES! There is a metric-ton of boss fights in Bayonetta. There are a lot more bosses than we have been shown, I will tell you at least that. They are both awe-inspiring and creative along with difficult and strategic. They are the best boss fights I have ever had the pleasure of participating in. The final boss battle is INSANE!

4). Is there a lot of replay value?

Answer: Yes. More than any other action game I have ever played and I have played them all. You have the standard unlockable modes you would expect and a lot of other things you wouldn't expect - but will love!

5). Gameplay - is it what you had hoped or is it even better?

Answer: A bit of both. From the videos we have all seen, the gameplay is what I expected - except that it is FAR deeper than anything a video can show you - You need to play Bayonetta to see what I mean and the demo is merely a taste of what the final game has to offer [think Devil May Cry's skill upgrades and style, but taken to a whole new level - but with more panache and you will get the idea]. There is so much depth to the combat in Bayonetta - so much in fact, that games like Ninja Gaiden and GOW will fail to impress anyone that plays Bayonetta. This, I am 100% sure of. I was THRILLED at the shooting mechanics - being able to shoot "Equilibrium" style with both my hand and feet guns was a blast! That's all the reason I need to play through Bayonetta again and again!

6). Should I import the game or wait?

Answer: Wait.

The North American and other territories' version will be better [not that the game needs anything more, but just because Kamiya-san loves us so much]. I can guarantee you it will have new modes, new unlockable items and new things to do. I will be buying the NA version of both the XBOX 360 and PS3 version, just to show my support for such an inspired game.

The Bottom Line:

Graphics: 10/10

Amazing and awe-inspiring. The texture work alone is excellent - let alone the frame-rate [i am of course referring to the XBOX 360 version here]. The bump-mapping and reflective textures make the game come alive [especially during the boss fights - they will make your jaw hit the floor and there are a TON of them, so be prepared to have a very sore jaw when you reach the end of Bayonetta!].

Gameplay: 10/10

Fast-paced-twitch gameplay at it's finest. Treasure [creators of Ikaruga, Gradius V, etc.] couldn't have done this better. The harder difficulties will blow your mind - but I love it and that is exactly what this kind of game should offer. The controls are ultra-responsive and slick while keeping you in COMPLETE control of Bayonetta over the course of her mission. It is a joy to play and I can't see how it could have been done any better. Great job Platinum Games!

Sound Design: 10/10

Exemplary. The sound effects are spot-on and the soundtrack is one of the best I have EVER heard [read on after the game review to see why]. Everything blends together perfectly.

Replay Value: 10/10

Lots to do, discover, unlock and replay. Multiple difficulty modes assure that repeat play-throughs will be totally different and there are tons of unlockables that will keep you gunning for the best play-through so you can achieve them!

Total: 10/10

Now, for my soundtrack review.

Here are some pictures of it:

BayonettaSoundtrack005.jpg

BayonettaSoundtrack001.jpg

BayonettaSoundtrack002.jpg

By far, the BEST action game soundtrack ever composed.

The music fits the action superbly and after you play the game [for those of you that have the OST but have yet to play the game] you will see just how aptly fitting the music truly is.

Anyone that knows video games has heard or thinks that "One Winged-Angel" from Final Fantasy VII is the best boss theme ever written; or one of them at least. Well, I am here to tell you that ANY of the boss themes in Bayonetta blow that song out of the water. Bayonetta has the best boss themes I have ever heard - the production values on most of these songs is staggering - full orchestra, real choirs, heart and soul and deep thought went into these tracks - all of them.

There are also plenty of homage's in here to boot. Kamiya-san is most definitely a classic gamer; as is evident by the game and the accompanying songs in some of the stages [i won't spoil them here, but rest assured you will be smiling when you hear them and see what game situations they accompany]. Thre are even NES-style remixes of the Bayonetta main themes ["chip-tune" like on the Okami soundtrack] on Disc 5. Great stuff!

Most people wouldn't get this, but track 15 on Disc 3 is an absolute homage to the end titles from the movie "Blade Runner". I was floored while playing the game when I heard it and I was floored again when I got the OST and was able to hear it without all the game sounds - a truly remarkable track that literally made my jaw drop.

Yes, some of the themes are reminiscent of MGS3 - a game which Norihiko Hibino crafted some of the gameplay and cut-scene music for - but that only made me love it more, since I love his work on the audio side of the Metal Gear series. Bass tones are matched evenly with perfect melodies, guitar riffs and choir/vocals - I was amazed. Bayonetta's soundtrack tops the entire Devil May Cry series in one fell-swoop.

Overall: 11/10

When you play the game, you will love this soundtrack even more than you do if you own it already. Seeing where the music falls into place during the game only heightens the experience. A truly remarkable audio feat. A must-have for any Bayonetta or action game fan.

The bottom line is that Bayonetta is far more intense and stylish than Dante and the Devil May Cry games - far more difficult and rewarding than Ninja Gaiden 1&2 or all the GOW games and on par with only itself. I don't want a sequel to Bayonetta and I only wish that this game stands on it's own against time as the best action game ever created. It doesn't need a sequel - you will understand that after you have completed your first play-through of the game. Greatness and perfection don't need another attempt or a sequel.

To sum all this up - Bayonetta is so awesome, that even Chuck Norris would sweat while playing it.

Edited by Dante

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!