NEurope
Dan_Dare

Mirror's Edge

Not going to rant on like everyone else, just want to register that I'm half way through and very much enjoying it :) it's frustrating at first but eventually the controls become second nature, and even when the main game's over there's lots of speed runs, time trials and achievements to get through.

Agreed.

one thing that I am finding hard, albeit in a self imposed kind of way- is that I'm yet to fire a single bullet in the game and taking on 4 swat team dudes is kinda tricky, yeah? grr. Determined to do it my way though. It has, however, provided one of the games highlights so far when I wall climbed up a roof section, built up some speed and jumped right on top of one guy, foot first in to his chest. Instant KO, sweet animation and an achievement get!

Rushing a group of guys never really works, but so long as you take them on one at a time they fall pretty easily. If you break their line of sight they naturally move away from each other, so guerilla hit-and-run tactics work very well.

As for combat itself, I found the sliding crotch kick to be key. You can follow it up with a few more hits whilst the enemy's stunned, or even circle around behind them and press Triangle/Y to disarm them. The latter offers a very small advantage to just knocking them out as there is a brief 'human shield' element to it. And it looks cooler.

The £40 price tag is what's worrying me on this. I know I want it but it's just whether I want to spend £40 on a copy at Game/Gamestation/where ever when I could pick up something like GoW2 cheaper. I don't know. When I go to buy something today, I'm jusst gonna let my hands have free reign. WHatever I pick up I'll buy. If I buy this, I better get the T-shirt although I'm doubtful.

The £40 price tag is what's worrying me on this. I know I want it but it's just whether I want to spend £40 on a copy at Game/Gamestation/where ever when I could pick up something like GoW2 cheaper. I don't know. When I go to buy something today, I'm jusst gonna let my hands have free reign. WHatever I pick up I'll buy. If I buy this, I better get the T-shirt although I'm doubtful.

£32.97 on sainsburys website (not in store).

Or £39.99 from game.co.uk, NW11GMEHW code gives £3 off and quidco gives 9% cashback.

£35 on amazon or asda. Should be arriving today. Hope its good. I enjoyed the demo alot. I recall plenty not liking the demo at the eurogamer expo though. Put it down to taste.

Been playing it a bit, and mostly it's the combat stuff that annoys me. Took me a while to get a decent enough combo sorted, then a while more to learn some group splitting tactics, but overall the game is a lot more trial and error/punishing than I wanted it to be. Not tried the time trials yet, but I reckon I'll be right pants at that!

Time trial is really cool, if you can find a group of people to compete with it should last ages unless you hate that kind of thing.

What I love about time trial is you can download the ghost of the person who has the no.1 time and then try and chase them :D harder than anything!

The game has pissed me off a few times now, mostly with the enemies. A lot of the time you just run in a room and before you can find cover or figure out what you can climb, you're shot to death (in a speedy 1-2 shots sometimes). I had to repeat a certain section about 10 times before I managed to get past an enemy. For the most part I've still found it enjoyable :) and I've had a decent session today and a fairly long session yesterday and still not completed it.

Decided to buy this today and not get GoW2, even though it was cheaper. Got my free T-shirt as well, which is awesome. I having played it yet as I'm doing an essay for Uni but once I've gotten that out of the way, I'll give it a go.

The power of gay assed Shetland strikes again. No game... Means I wouldn't have anything to play this weekend. God damn it ¬_¬.

I've been at it for a couple of hours in the story mode and I'm enjoying it immensely. I've heard there were sections which forced you to fight, although I've yet to have to incapacitate more then two consecutive cops. A couple of sections which did seem hopeless until the discovery of the most ideal route and speed through it allows me just to blast past/over any aggressors. It's trial and error, but it's just so satisfying when you get it right.

£32.97 on sainsburys website (not in store).

Yes in store, i just got back from mine with a copy. Will probably sell it on Monday/Tuesday to finance a copy of Banjo

Stopped doing my essay long enough to have a go and just as it was with the demo, I'm loving it. A few deaths because I've been careless but nothing annoying me. I personally don't see the complaints about the combat so far, but then I've done very little of it. Trying to go through without firing a shot on my first run through and then I'll start a second one with using weapons and collecting the rest of the bags I've missed. Only up to chapter 3, and that's been an hour and a half, maybe more.

Some of the times on the time trials are unbelievable though. I had a go on Playground one and posted a time of 1:47, looked at the leaderboards to see I'm a minute out on the leader. All I can say is how the hell did the guy manage 47 secs on that level? It just doesn't seem possible.

The game's a lot harder than I thought it would be, but I'm pleasantly surprised with that. Haven't really bothered with time trials yet, I want to finish the story mode first.

Hmm I have to say I enjoy the time trials and the free running parts of the story mode a lot more than the combat, it can become extremely frustrating.

I ordered the PS3 version of this game and recieved it off Gameplay this morning.

Shame that when I opened it, I found the 360 version.

TWATS!!!!

I ordered the PS3 version of this game and recieved it off Gameplay this morning.

Shame that when I opened it, I found the 360 version.

TWATS!!!!

lol sucks to be you...at least they sent a copy of the game you ordered, all be it for the wrong system. I ordered Skate. from game.co.uk and i recieved Quake Wars on release day....idiots.

I got 105GS in total for finishing the prolouge...awesome, stuck on chapter 3 though.

I *could* play it, as I have got a 360. But I won't because a) Having played the demos, I prefer the controls on the PS3 version and b) it's just not what I freakin' ordered! :heh:

I've got Gears 2 to play through til it comes, so it's not too bad!

I've found this game to be a mixed bag, it's good but i'm getting bored already. There's just not a lot to it, the prologue is 80% of what is in the game. The combat is also dire and is completely alien to the game, they shoulda just left it out.

I have enjoyed it though, almost completed already! If anyone fancys a copy of the 360 game then it's yours, posted out Monday. I'll swap for a copy of Call of Duty 5, Banjo, Fallout 3 (360 or PC) or £30 (offers considered).

Yeah the combat can, on further investigation, bite my sack. Still not fired a gun though. Kinda like that.

and the game is too punishing. It's getting on my tits a bit.

but when it works it really works. I'm looking forward to time trial mode and seeing how fast I can go. I can see that being alot of fun.

oh and the cutscenes are teeth grindingly bad. I don't just dislike them or find them boring I actively hate them. It's not just the story, either which is vanilla as fuck but the art. It's utter shit and everyone involved should be ashamed of them.

^ while the game is rather punishing, I don't know whether anyone else feels this but do they not feel that if you miss a jump or die that it's your fault and not that of the game? I feel like that when playing. It feels like I'm to fault when missing something which is rather nice instead of the usual where it's the game's fault for making you fail.

Only finished chapter 3. That one was a pain. When I was coming out of the big drain thing on the crane I couldn't figure out where to go or how to get to it. Took ages till I eventually decided to climb the trucks and jump over the fence. *facepalm* so simple. Don't know how I could have missed it.

The time trial mode takes me back to Project Gothham Racing 2, one little error and you just have to restart, managed to beat shortys time though :P

If you're enjoying this game add me to Live (Sanchex) I want to beat all your time trial times next week.

oh and the cutscenes are teeth grindingly bad. I don't just dislike them or find them boring I actively hate them. It's not just the story, either which is vanilla as fuck but the art. It's utter shit and everyone involved should be ashamed of them.
I agree, the art is terrible. I heard someone compare it to the O-Ren Ishii backstory on Kill Bill. I don't know what kind of crack they were smoking but I'd like some if it could make those cutscenes look like anymore than a flash cartoon from newgrounds.