Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Iron Man

Iun

You people think Hulk was better than Iron Man? Lol. And I think you need to re-watch Spider-man. Rose tinted glasses me thinks.

I have seen trailers for it but the first left such a horrible taste in my mouth that I don't want to be stung again. Also, they changed the cast, and even though Ed Norton is one of the best, changing the actors will stick in my mind.

But its all going to be okay, cos' its gonna be sick. :heh:

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Iron Man has been the only movie where I actually believe the actor really is in the skin of the character - I never liked Tobey Whatsisface as Peter Parker, I thought Eric Bana was far too charisma-less to be on the screen full stop, and Nicholas Cage was just...awful as Ghost Rider.

Really? Why? What did you think of Hulk?

Any comic book film where you can't remember who the villain was is a bad comic book film. I personally didnt like it. I can understand why some people liked it, but as a comic film it failed so badly, even as a regular film (in my taste) it failed. I liked Eric Bana though. But I think the new Hulk looks to surpass it in every way...one of which being Abomination.

Also I just want to clarify, I like Spider-Man but it is not as good as a lot of comic movies. CGI is really horrifying at times, and its a little too cheesy in some bits. The spectacular Spider-Man cartoon is more adult/not as cheesy than that film. Mind you the Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon is absolutely amazing...and a cartoon series, so maybe comparisons shouldn't be made.

Like Iron Man?

Do you actually remember who it was though?

They never say his name (technically), so I wouldnt expect you to know that (Iron Monger) but you remember who it was (Obadiah) and what he was etc. I honestly cant remember who it was/or was supposed to be in Hulk.

Do you actually remember who it was though?

As I only watched it a week ago, I remember that it's some guy high up in the company in the original suit. But he seems like an easily forgettable villain.

As I only watched it a week ago, I remember that it's some guy high up in the company in the original suit. But he seems like an easily forgettable villain.

I really can't remember the villains name. Did he even have a name? As for hulk, well I remember that it was his dad but the way it all came about really was just retarded. Why not just stick to the script of the comic as it was reasonable. Bleh, may watch the second movie but not until other's tell me it's great and a must see.

Spiderman is a great movie, a great kids movie and a great family movie, and a great adult movie. It has what you need: the characterisation and the villian and a message and the artistry to carry it off visually (although 2 is better for that).

Iron Man had those things in Fantastic Four-grade proportions. Even Downey Jr, who is one of my favourites, could not salvage the script. From the opening shot, which was great, (when I thought in my head, sweet, this might be a really well shot Superhero movie), the photography is just BLAAAAAAHHHH, the romance is bullshit, the message is never really developed beyond the obvious, the villians are laughable (my stock is going down, I must go on a rampage in this suit), the story takes turns that are even more laughable...it's a hash of a movie. Completely driven by hype.

This, like Hellboy, could have been done so much better. How about dealing with some proper issues about good and evil, right and wrong in the modern world? How about putting your balls on the line? The guys at Pixar did it with a cartoon.

There was an obvious, OBVIOUS message that could have sat atop the script: "We can't fight what is a genuinely evil threat if we sell them weapons".

(That's what the War on Terror boils down to after all: we have a genuinely evil, homophobic, racist, irrationalist threat, but because we sold them weapons and kept them safe when it suited us for reasons of security, we have dodgy moral standing.)

How about having a go at that?

Honestly the only moment I enjoyed in the whole thing was when Iron Man left the warlord for the people to deal with after he'd neutralized the threat. And when he blew up the tank, and walked off. 1 of 2 interesting visual moments.

I really can't remember the villains name. Did he even have a name? As for hulk, well I remember that it was his dad but the way it all came about really was just retarded. Why not just stick to the script of the comic as it was reasonable. Bleh, may watch the second movie but not until other's tell me it's great and a must see.

'Jeff Bridges'

Also: I don't think the CG is good enough to carry the Hulk Movie. The rest will have to be absolutely spot-on.

They never say his name in the film, which is cool.

Incredible Hulk is completely different from the old Hulk, in that it looks good, and instead of ....mist? Or whatever the last villain was, in this one its freaking' Emil Blonsky! THATS SICK! It will be great trust me.

And its got Tony Stark and Nick Fury in.

Haver, why does a film need a message? Its just a piece of entertainment, not a.....something that gives a message.

The two aren't separable. We are entertained by having our emotions tickled. That's why something like Ratatouille does so well, in that case with creative adults.

(Same with something like The Simpsons. When Homer says 'Trying is the first step towards failure', it's funny because it has something to say about Human Nature.)

If you don't have a message, you need extraordinary storytelling skill. Fargo, for instance. Iron Man doesn't have that.

And the 'message' is especially important with Superhero movies, which are essentially tales of morality. They're Mark and Luke and Corinthians. Iron Man could have fared much better with a stronger message.

The two aren't separable. We are entertained by having our emotions tickled. That's why something like Ratatouille does so well, in that case with creative adults.

(Same with something like The Simpsons. When Homer says 'Trying is the first step towards failure', it's funny because it has something to say about Human Nature.)

If you don't have a message, you need extraordinary storytelling skill. Fargo, for instance. Iron Man doesn't have that.

And the 'message' is especially important with Superhero movies, which are essentially tales of morality. They're Mark and Luke and Corinthians. Iron Man could have fared much better with a stronger message.

We'll agree to disagree.

Hulk gets far too much shit, simply because it tried to be a bit different. Sure as a comic film, it's not typical family pleasing fare, and it's not an amazing normal film, but it actually is visually intriguing, and the explanation behind everything is good. I liked the fact there wasn't a real villain, except Absorbing Man (yes, that's who it was).

I think it took a shit comic to turn into a film and did well with it. Hulk's crap anyway.

I however really enjoyed Iron Man, possibly because it was so close to the comics. Spider-Man is ruined by the fact Tobey Maguire isn't Peter Parker at all. He's like some alternate reality Spidey, where he's realy drab and dull, with no personality.

Haver; you're such a fucking... spielberg, man.

But besides that; "entertainment is having your emotions tickled", then you imply that we can't have our emotions stirred unless there's some sort of relation to Human Nature that we can sympathise with; a message.

You admit that not everything has a message, but (what I read into what you say, anyway) good story-telling is enjoyable because we can derive our own individual interpretations from the commotion rather than some universal meaning.

You've got empiricism and romanticism... but you seem to be missing the point of comic books -- of superheroes. They're in the same boat as mythology and legend - folk tales of superbeings, demigods. Fables aligned closer to the classics in the sense that good wins, bad loses, there ain't no go-between.

Iron Man is about defining the epitome of what a comic-book-movie genre is. It is charicature, a poke at the art rather than at some human issue.

I may just be using ridiculous art theory considering I still just think it's just a film, but you started it.

Haver; you're such a fucking... spielberg, man.

But besides that; "entertainment is having your emotions tickled", then you imply that we can't have our emotions stirred unless there's some sort of relation to Human Nature that we can sympathise with; a message.

You admit that not everything has a message, but (what I read into what you say, anyway) good story-telling is enjoyable because we can derive our own individual interpretations from the commotion rather than some universal meaning.

You've got empiricism and romanticism... but you seem to be missing the point of comic books -- of superheroes. They're in the same boat as mythology and legend - folk tales of superbeings, demigods. Fables aligned closer to the classics in the sense that good wins, bad loses, there ain't no go-between.

Iron Man is about defining the epitome of what a comic-book-movie genre is. It is charicature, a poke at the art rather than at some human issue.

I may just be using ridiculous art theory considering I still just think it's just a film, but you started it.

Well,

The quote is "we are entertained by having our emotions tickled". That's not to say you can't have your emotions tickled by a storyteller who doesn't want to 'say' anything, but you'll be lucky to come across a good story that doesn't have anything to say, even if it's inadvertantly.

Fargo comes to mind as a straight-up piece of storytelling, with little really to say, but there's only one pair of Coen Brothers. The same with A History of Violence, which does have a few things to say but is largely a story. Again, there's only one Cronenberg.

So: I would like an Iron Man if it had the emotional resonance of something like Spiderman, and I would like it if it were a fantastic piece of storytelling, but it is neither. I like both types fine. I like Fargo and I like Ratatouille.

I think you devalue comic books and you devalue films when you claim them to be 'just' anything.

So when I say 'The two aren't separable', I should say, 'it is rare that the two are separated'.

Well, the whole crisis of confidence thing could have been a huge thing. The film had the opportunity to say something important or insightful. If Iron Man isn't supposed to be like that, then fine, but you need a good story and that was not a good story.

This is not a new argument, and it's not new to film. As I said, I would have been happy with anything at all.

but what do the explosions mean

Seriously: I like, and sometimes prefer, a good story over something profoundly meaningful.

But what I saw last night was awful. The CEO, getting in the old suit?Seriously?

The romance bullshit?

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!