NEurope
Deathjam

Games series that need resurrection/a sequel

Just been feeling nostalgic lately due to moving house recently, and stumbled upon some of my golden oldies and it got me thinking, where are my sequels. I need moar of these! So here is my list of what really deserves a sequel and if I can be bothered, a reason to go with it:

Jet Set Radio series DREAMCAST/XBOX: Still trying to complete this game. Its hard finding the perfect grind lines! But oh the great soundtrack makes this chore so enjoyable. Want to get some proper speakers to properly enjoy this one. Plus the graphics are still excellent till this day. Really wish the xbox version had the tag spraying mechanics of the dreamcast version but I can overlook this as the trick mechanics were expanded to be more fun but also offer up a new challlenge.

Vagrant Story PSONE: The story had so many twists, first time I played it, I didn't know who was truly bad and who was truly good. In fact, I was a little confused. Thankfully the game encouraged multiple play thrus, with areas becoming available when the game was completed and tasks to complete to earn titles for pure bragging rights. even had a boss rush area. And then there was the complicated leveling up process for your character, and the deep weapon and armour crafting that hasn't been eclipsed yet imo (dark cloud 2 (forget european name) had a cool weapon crafting game but was a little more simple)

Viewtiful Joe GCN/PS2: First game to truly beat me. I gave up on the last few bosses. Was nearly brought to tears. haven't even played the sequels because of the pure shame i feel when i remember this game. Maybe if a new game was to be released...Oh and the graphics and gameplay were super solid and really sold the game universe but these are obvious points so i don't know why I am repeating them :P

Gun Valkyrie XBOX: Unsure about this one but something inside me really wants to root for it. HARDCORE game. SO DAMN HARD. And thats just the controls!

Takes ages and I mean ages to truly get the hang of them but when you do, my god do you feel special. Friend watched me play this game once and he watched my hands and his mouth was wide open. Uses the push in/click in controls on the xbox pad along with every other button.

Despite this, its a pretty simple third person shooter, only that you can properly go in 3 dimensions by boosting, and if you are good enough (required if you want to complete the game) you can stay in the air indefinitely through boosting combos.

Thats all I got now. Im sure there are more (shenmue!) but ill leave that up to others to sum up.

Jet Force Gemini

Kid Ikarus

Slave Zero

Goemon: Mystical Ninja (At least in the West, why they didn't bring the DS version is beyond me. It's the best looking game on the system by miles.)

ganbare-goemon-20041013092206973.jpgganbare-goemon-20041013092203474.jpgganbare-goemon-20041013092207239_640w.jpg

2D Metroid

Eternal Darkness

Mischief Makers

To name but a few.

Is mischief makers on the VC as I really want that game. I think its by the same people that made Gunstar Heroes (another awesome game). And I can't believe I forgot Jet Force Gemini and Eternal Darkness. Would have mentioned Kid Icarus but I believe that will get a sequel soon.

Streets of Rage 4 (XBOX360/PS3)

Imagine. Graphics like Fight Night Round 3, with sweat, blood and facial animations that react to your punches. Brutal bar fights, use the environment to your advantage, use anything as a weapon (ala Condemned).

Classic stages reimagined in glorious next gen detail. Remixed classic music.

Think The Bouncer, only better. mmmm

Future Cop LAPD on the PS1. A next gen version on PS3/360 would kick insane amounts of ass.

Dude...

Where's Shenmue?

SHENMUUUEEEEEEEEEEEE

Oh... I just realized it's in the first post...

But asides from that, I really think that an Eternal Darkness sequel would be totally awesome! With loads more creepy scenes like that bath one... Man that scared me.

I'm going to copy and paste most of mine from something I said on another site. :p

Panzer Dragoon

Either a new RPG or one of the more traditional ones, I don't care. Just give me MORE.

Goemon

Daft mentioned it above me, but I just thought I'd repeat it as the awesomeness of Goemon cannot be understated. I want another 3D RPG style one like the first N64 game please.

BURNING FUCKING RANGERS

Underrated gem (much like the system it was developed for). It recieved a mixed critical response and crappy sales figures. A new one on XBLA would be great.

Viewtiful Joe

We got four games out of this didn't we? 1, 2, the DS one and RHR. RHR might have sucked, but we still definitely need a threequel on a home console to at least make a trilogy. It would be perfectly suited to XBLA/PSN/WW.

Chu Chu Rocket

Another game that would suit XBLA/PSN/WW. Everyone who owned a Dreamcast loved this. It was such a simple game, but everything about it was nigh-on perfect. A DS version would probably also work out really well.

Jet Set Radio

'Fucking awesome' pretty much describes JSR. Sega seems to have completely forgotten about it and are concentrating on Sonic and his shitty friends more and more. Give me a 360/PS3 version.

Crazy Taxi

Okay, the sequels may have sucked, but the original is one of the best arcade experiences ever. It was just plain fun, attempting to hit old ladies and smahing through fruit stalls. I remember when I got my record of $30,000,000 and lasted something like 2 hours without timing out. It was the greatest day of my life.

Shenmue

It's never gonna happen. Never ever.

Diablo

Admittedly I've not exactly been keeping up with the latest Diablo news, but there was nothing done with the series after 2, was there? It was one of the few PC games I liked when it came out.

Dungeon Keeper

^Ditto^

Daytona USA

One of the best games on the Saturn that you didn't have to import. The handling was spot on. An XBLA port of the original would be ideal, I don't think Sega can improve the formula.

Pikmin

The sequel was one of the best games on the Gamecube (I know there wasn't a lot of competition, but..). It's probably coming, but I want Pikmin 3 now dammit, now!

Edit- Just noticed most of these are old Sega games. Why do suck so much now, Sega? :(

I'm going to copy and paste most of mine from something I said on another site. :p

Jet Set Radio

'Fucking awesome' pretty much describes JSR. Sega seems to have completely forgotten about it and are concentrating on Sonic and his shitty friends more and more. Give me a 360/PS3 version.

QFT Jet Set Radio is a fantastic series and deserves more respect than is being given i feel. Dreamcast was superior but only in the tagging i feel. Smilebit (the developers) seem to have made my fave sega games. Wonder what they are doing now.

Streets of Rage 4 (XBOX360/PS3)

Imagine. Graphics like Fight Night Round 3, with sweat, blood and facial animations that react to your punches. Brutal bar fights, use the environment to your advantage, use anything as a weapon (ala Condemned).

Classic stages reimagined in glorious next gen detail. Remixed classic music.

Think The Bouncer, only better. mmmm

You only have to look at my Avatar to see I totally agree with you.

QFT Jet Set Radio is a fantastic series and deserves more respect than is being given i feel. Dreamcast was superior but only in the tagging i feel. Smilebit (the developers) seem to have made my fave sega games. Wonder what they are doing now.

I think they were absorbed into other Sega teams. Which means that if a new JSR game is made, few of the guys who worked on the original and Future will be involved. :(

Mole Mania: Very obscure game for the Gameboy, it is one of Myamoto's lesser known gems. It was a puzzler, and a pretty good one at that. I would love to see a sequel/remake on the DS. The original gameplay allowed for a bit of freedom and exploration (at least way more than any normal puzzler) and surely some new ideas could be implemented. Even have that multiplayer mini-game come back.

Golden Sun: Another game of this series would be fantastic, but I can't see it happening, unless it was a different world altogether.

F-Zero: This series is just awesome

Donkey Kong Country: I know it's not possible, but I can't help but wish it could happen.

Golden Sun: Another game of this series would be fantastic, but I can't see it happening, unless it was a different world altogether.

F-Zero: This series is just awesome

Hell yes!!!

I'm sure I wrote something about Arcadia. I must have accidently deleted it. It was long and it basically boiled down to: I'm not sure if I want a sequel. I loved the original to bits, but what can a sequel do that wouldn't cheapen the original? They already explored all of the world in the original and defeated the Valuan army/Ramirez and all that. I don't think it needs another chapter, the story is already perfect as it is.

A prequel set before the rains of detruction could be excellent though...

Jet Set Radio, fuck yes. A million fucking times yes.

Viewtiful Joe, again yes.

Golden Sun DS/Wii i'd die for.

Oh and for the love of christ, give us a 2D Metroid. If i have to play another shitty 3D DS game i'll cry.

They say they would do it, thats true. But they're pretty full with other projects right now.

I played the first game longer than 90% of games i've ever played. A solid 70 hours finding everything. For some reason ... i didn't like the second as much.

They say they would do it, thats true. But they're pretty full with other projects right now.

I played the first game longer than 90% of games i've ever played. A solid 70 hours finding everything. For some reason ... i didn't like the second as much.

Yeah I felt the same. I still loved it but the first one started off so epically. I went back and played it again which I hardly ever do, let alone with RPGs.

I think they were absorbed into other Sega teams. Which means that if a new JSR game is made, few of the guys who worked on the original and Future will be involved. :(

I didn't think sega could sink any lower imo but they just have. They blow so much these days now. I don't think i have bought any of the games they have released in the last 2-3 years. *Sigh* once again the phrase that haunts me radiates in my head: oh how the once mighty have fallen.

EDIT: I apologise wholeheartedly for forgetting Skies of Arcadia. It is unforgiveable but i will still apologise.

How has this thread made it 12 posts without mention of Skies of Arcadia?

I love Skies, but this

I'm sure I wrote something about Arcadia. I must have accidently deleted it. It was long and it basically boiled down to: I'm not sure if I want a sequel. I loved the original to bits, but what can a sequel do that wouldn't cheapen the original? They already explored all of the world in the original and defeated the Valuan army/Ramirez and all that. I don't think it needs another chapter, the story is already perfect as it is.

A prequel set before the rains of detruction could be excellent though...

and this

I didn't think sega could sink any lower imo but they just have. They blow so much these days now. I don't think i have bought any of the games they have released in the last 2-3 years. *Sigh* once again the phrase that haunts me radiates in my head: oh how the once mighty have fallen.

Make me be afraid of a sequel.

I love Skies, but this

and this

Make me be afraid of a sequel.

Be afraid. Be very afraid

Bring back Skies!

What I want to know is why no one has said Kid Icarus yet everyone is clamouring for it to come out on Wii!

I want DKC4, Chu Chu Rocket, Micromachines and many many more.

One more, Elite Beat Agents. Yeah, I know Ouendan 1 and 2 already exist, but there's no EBA 2.