Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This game looks bad.

There, I said it. It might have profficient technology, but I can't believe this game is getting this much attention. I think this is just lowering expectations. Their effort is commendable, I'll give them that; they developed their own engine, and they are making this game only with internal funds.

But everything about this game screams generic. Except for an over-used bloom, can people honestly look at this last batch of screens (and all the others) and call it "good looking"? I look at this game and the only thing that comes to my mind are those freeware FPS's floating around the Internet. And there are people who look at it and call it "almost a 360 game!". Shit, the weed I smoked must have really messed up my head, I must be seeing things.

They became a symbol of hope, of effort, in a time most of the third-party games on Wii were (and still are), subpar.

As I said, their effort is commendable. And it seems that the game has good controls. But to consider this an "impressive, good looking game", and receiving awards for best looking game on Wii...

Oh Factor 5/Capcom-teams-with-high-budget-and-not-ports-or-spinoffs-teams, how I miss you.

I've just been playing Call of Duty 2, which looks, to paraphrase most people in the anglophone world at some point, totally fucking awesome, so looking at these screens, I've realised just how lazy many devs have been. I have one final test for this game - the framerate. If it's at a smooth 60fps, then pretty much every Wii developer out there is officially a lazy gobshite.

I've just been playing Call of Duty 2, which looks, to paraphrase most people in the anglophone world at some point, totally fucking awesome, so looking at these screens, I've realised just how lazy many devs have been. I have one final test for this game - the framerate. If it's at a smooth 60fps, then pretty much every Wii developer out there is officially a lazy gobshite.

They already said the game is running at 30fps.

Q6: You mentioned in an IGN article that the framerate was currently at 30 but you were aiming for 60. Have you hit your goal yet?

Dan: The game will run absolutely solid at 30fps. For HVS, choice is either to have less visual splendor and run at 60fps or achieve the look we want for the game and run at 30fps. 30fps is a frame rate that is plenty responsive for FPS gaming and we are valuing the increased visual detail we can offer over the slightly smoother gameplay we might otherwise get by scaling this back.

http://the-conduit.webs.com/interviewqsandas.htm

Meanwhile the newer builds were said to have some dips from 30fps, but they promised that, when it launches, the framerate will remain steady at 30.

But everything about this game screams generic.

Disagree. So the 360 and less so PS3, are flooded with this sub-genre, but Wii has absolutely nothing like it, bar perhaps Metroid Prime 3 (and even that is arguable).

Ambitious narrative on Wii? Nadda.

Fully customisable controls no Wii? Nope. Unless you count waggle left or waggle right.

Running on impressive Wii- specific engine? Can't think of too many Wii games which do not use Gamecube tech- even Metroid was made no Cube Dev Kits.

The whole argument for the game being generic is rubbish. The very premise of an Aliens invade Washington DC storyline dictates the art style you'll have.

Just throw it some slack.

Just throw it some slack.

I did; that's why I said that their effort is commendable in the first place.

Disagree. So the 360 and less so PS3, are flooded with this sub-genre, but Wii has absolutely nothing like it, bar perhaps Metroid Prime 3 (and even that is arguable).

Wii isn't exactly flooding with FPS, true, but there are some. Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 is actually one of those games that, despite not being very ambitious and original, is very good due to its controls. It's still a generic looking game, but very fun to play.

Fully customisable controls no Wii? Nope. Unless you count waggle left or waggle right.

Again MoH:H2 provided fully customizable controls, you could even ajust the bounding box of it so it had zero delay on turning.

Running on impressive Wii- specific engine? Can't think of too many Wii games which do not use Gamecube tech- even Metroid was made no Cube Dev Kits.

Using GC costumized engines on Wii isn't necessarily a bad thing, as the hardware is fairly similar; actually, it gives the advantage of creating something rather quickly while having the time to improve the engine to accomodate new requirements. You gave the MP3 example; that's one of those games that, despite running on an improved GC engine, still look better than The Conduit; not by it's technical prowess but by its intelligent use of art, mixed with high resolution textures, subtle bloom and geometry, and some shader effects. I also would argue that Resident Evil 4 looks better than most Wii games; dare I say, even better than The Conduit; and that's a Gamecube game running on a machine with 24 MB of RAM.

The whole argument for the game being generic is rubbish. The very premise of an Aliens invade Washington DC storyline dictates the art style you'll have.

But does it dictate the plain textures? Or the alien models (arguably) similar to some that appear on the Prime games? I don't think the location limits the art style but rather influences it. "Black" also had environments similar in style to Washington; it still manages to look better than this.

As I said in the first place their effort is impressive, specially when they used their own money to develop it, and are trying to implement online modes and making sure this is a meaty game; but that doesn't mean the game should be considered visually impressive.

My two cents, of course.

The game art design is generic, that's for sure, I mean, asides from the all seeing eye, it's not even supposed not to be generic, but considering there are next to none FPS on the Wii, it's not that much of a big deal. Plus, it seems to control great and the graphics are great (and the Wii can undoubtedly handle more), looking even better in motion, so it's totally not a big deal for me. Considering it's a small 3rd party that always did mediocre or shitty games and that this is the first game from the engine, this is great, considering the situation and even not considering, still great.

Being Wii specific engine means it'll take good (full) use of the Wii's hardware, if not now, eventually, if it was just an enhanced GC, there would only be so much it could do. Comparing it to "top-notch" teams with huge resources and stellar staff is completely unfair. And the games are completely customizable, MoH2's are not as much. And again, it looks much better in motion.

I'll call those two cents and raise by a fiver.

Obviously, as with any game on Wii with some expectation behind it, you get these kind of comments after a while (or from the very beginning).

Whilst I appreciate and applaud the fact that you can formulate an opinion in such an eloquent manner (a virtue nowadays on the net), I beg to differ. Any game deserves slack until YOU have actually played it. Not read reviews, not see someone play it, but actually played it yourself. Taste is a fickly thing, which implies that mediocrity for one person equals steller greatness for the next. Take Mass Effect and NWN for instance. I absolutely adore Bioware for Baldur's Gate, but Mass Effect are so much flawed in my opinion that they shouldn't be in the same sentence even as BG. But both got ninety-ish scores in reviews, and both had their own audiences.

The Raving Rabbidses are of the same. They were slated for their mediocrity and shiteness, but I'd score those games way up there simply because of the fact that the game rules at getting you and yer mates drunk, and keeping you happy all the way. The sexual innuendo that goes with certain minigame gestures is also classic.

Anyzwayz, to get to a more relevant point. Perfect Dark was and is awesome. I lie awake in bed imagining what the title could be like with Wii-controls. That game made me what I am (well, together with some other things...). What I'm trying to say is that I shall be happy if The Conduit has the same amount of character of Perfect Dark Zero, as long as it would play like Perfect Dark would on Wii. And that is why the game is hyped and praised. A lot of gamers, including myself, and perhaps even including you, are gagging for this kind of game. If the graphics aren't "all that" eventually, even if the framerate has a few hiccups now and then, maybe one should ask themselves the question if their expectations are reasonable? You have to calculate a lot of factors into those expectations tbh.

The Wii isn't the 360, and it'll take a few years and a whole more money before the visual prowess of the Wii will near that level.

Yes, Resident Evil 4 still looks good, but how long was that in development? And by whom and with what resources?

Like you said, the game's funded internally, so, in my opinion, yes, the game should get a whole damn lot of credit for looking this good, even if you think it's mediocre-looking.

And then, even if this turns out crap (which it won't I'm sure), HVS should be commended for their influence on the dev scene. It might be a coincidence, but ever since this game was announced, I see a whole lot more "mature" games heading to the Wii.

I do believe these factors should support an opinion.

In short, I think that this game looks fucking unbelievable - for the Wii.

Edit: Damn you Hellfire, I actually began writing before your post showed up, and the time difference between our comments is still more than 20 minutes :D

Yeah, generic is the word. Artistically (not technically) this game looks mediocre at best. We all love their effort of actually trying to utilize the Wii, but the end result is what matters. I just don't think High Voltage have the talent to make a good FPS. Their track record is pretty awful compared to Valve, Retro, Bungie, Rare, Treyarch, Epic, iD, Free Radical etc.

The game art design is generic, that's for sure, I mean, asides from the all seeing eye, it's not even supposed not to be generic, but considering there are next to none FPS on the Wii, it's not that much of a big deal. Plus, it seems to control great and the graphics are great (and the Wii can undoubtedly handle more), looking even better in motion, so it's totally not a big deal for me. Considering it's a small 3rd party that always did mediocre or shitty games and that this is the first game from the engine, this is great, considering the situation and even not considering, still great.

Being Wii specific engine means it'll take good (full) use of the Wii's hardware, if not now, eventually, if it was just an enhanced GC, there would only be so much it could do. Comparing it to "top-notch" teams with huge resources and stellar staff is completely unfair. And the games are completely customizable, MoH2's are not as much. And again, it looks much better in motion.

I agree. When I said that MoH:H2 had fully customizable controls I was actually talking about the pointer, and nothing else. I believe The Conduit let players choose each function for each button. So yes, indeed the later is more customizable.

I'll call those two cents and raise by a fiver.

Obviously, as with any game on Wii with some expectation behind it, you get these kind of comments after a while (or from the very beginning).

Whilst I appreciate and applaud the fact that you can formulate an opinion in such an eloquent manner (a virtue nowadays on the net), I beg to differ. Any game deserves slack until YOU have actually played it. Not read reviews, not see someone play it, but actually played it yourself. Taste is a fickly thing, which implies that mediocrity for one person equals steller greatness for the next. Take Mass Effect and NWN for instance. I absolutely adore Bioware for Baldur's Gate, but Mass Effect are so much flawed in my opinion that they shouldn't be in the same sentence even as BG. But both got ninety-ish scores in reviews, and both had their own audiences.

The Raving Rabbidses are of the same. They were slated for their mediocrity and shiteness, but I'd score those games way up there simply because of the fact that the game rules at getting you and yer mates drunk, and keeping you happy all the way. The sexual innuendo that goes with certain minigame gestures is also classic.

Anyzwayz, to get to a more relevant point. Perfect Dark was and is awesome. I lie awake in bed imagining what the title could be like with Wii-controls. That game made me what I am (well, together with some other things...). What I'm trying to say is that I shall be happy if The Conduit has the same amount of character of Perfect Dark Zero, as long as it would play like Perfect Dark would on Wii. And that is why the game is hyped and praised. A lot of gamers, including myself, and perhaps even including you, are gagging for this kind of game. If the graphics aren't "all that" eventually, even if the framerate has a few hiccups now and then, maybe one should ask themselves the question if their expectations are reasonable? You have to calculate a lot of factors into those expectations tbh.

The Wii isn't the 360, and it'll take a few years and a whole more money before the visual prowess of the Wii will near that level.

Yes, Resident Evil 4 still looks good, but how long was that in development? And by whom and with what resources?

Like you said, the game's funded internally, so, in my opinion, yes, the game should get a whole damn lot of credit for looking this good, even if you think it's mediocre-looking.

And then, even if this turns out crap (which it won't I'm sure), HVS should be commended for their influence on the dev scene. It might be a coincidence, but ever since this game was announced, I see a whole lot more "mature" games heading to the Wii.

I do believe these factors should support an opinion.

In short, I think that this game looks fucking unbelievable - for the Wii.

I see where you are coming from and I agree, but understand I never actually criticized the gameplay itself; only the art design. Actually, I'm pretty sure the game will play well; and all the previews and hands-on point to that. All the shooters I've played on Wii give a ridiculous sensation of being much better than they actually are; and by that I mean that the controls really add to the experience, making a game that otherwise would be considered "lacking", a good one (MoH:H2 being one of those games).

Either way, I only criticized the game because of its art, which I happen to find generic and unworthy of so much "fapping", nothing else.

Wii screens have always looked crap. You can't judge a Wii game's graphics by screenshots.

Edit: After watching some gameplay footage on Game Trailers, I conclude that the actual footage looks way better than the screens. The two are barely comparable.

Aha! Well in that case, I apologize for not responding directly to your... uhm... beef?

I don't think the art's getting all that much of attention. Nobody here's saying "Wow, omfg in heaven or hell, this game has teh b3st setting ever in history since Jesus" or something. Indeed, the art doesn't seem to be all that different from what we've been fed over the last decade or so. But can you hold it against them? Originality shines if the art and design functions, and only then. I can name you quite a lot of art directions which are pretty new and cool, but didn't come to shine because they didn't have a story or gameplay to back them up (Killzone, for instance).

Perfect Dark, my holy grail in FPS's, didn't have an all that great art direction either (Skedar? Elvis? Can you say Alien meets ET?), but it was implemented in such a great way, with a story and with gameplay of stellar quality, that it didn't matter.

I'm currently looking at the brighter side of things. the-conduit-20080821073641182_640w.jpg

That's just awesome in my opinion. Sure, the rest may look bland, but it looks just as bland in a whole lotta other games out there, which did get highly appreciated. Whether or not those games actually deserved their appreciation...

Hope this is more to-the-point?

Wii screens have always looked crap. You can't judge a Wii game's graphics by screenshots.

Edit: After watching some gameplay footage on Game Trailers, I conclude that the actual footage looks way better than the screens. The two are barely comparable.

I already said in my other posts, I didn't complained about the image quality of the screenshots, or its lack of technical prowess; I said I found the art style generic. That as nothing to with screens vs. motion.

Aha! Well in that case, I apologize for not responding directly to your... uhm... beef?

I don't think the art's getting all that much of attention. Nobody here's saying "Wow, omfg in heaven or hell, this game has teh b3st setting ever in history since Jesus" or something. Indeed, the art doesn't seem to be all that different from what we've been fed over the last decade or so. But can you hold it against them? Originality shines if the art and design functions, and only then. I can name you quite a lot of art directions which are pretty new and cool, but didn't come to shine because they didn't have a story or gameplay to back them up (Killzone, for instance).

Perfect Dark, my holy grail in FPS's, didn't have an all that great art direction either (Skedar? Elvis? Can you say Alien meets ET?), but it was implemented in such a great way, with a story and with gameplay of stellar quality, that it didn't matter.

I'm currently looking at the brighter side of things.

That's just awesome in my opinion. Sure, the rest may look bland, but it looks just as bland in a whole lotta other games out there, which did get highly appreciated. Whether or not those games actually deserved their appreciation...

Hope this is more to-the-point?

Actually, in my opinion, Perfect Dark was a game that had, and still has, a great art direction, regardless of how much cliché the characters were:p.

It was not only technically impressive for its time (with an abysmal framerate), but it had an style that it was his own; meaning, it was easily identifiable as being Perfect Dark. The same thing could be said for the Zelda games; there is an art style which is specific of each game (and the franchise) that makes it recognizable and unique.

As an example, I played through "Return to Castle Wolfenstein" and I only remember a few selected parts of it; but if you asked me something about the dungeons of Twilight Princess there is a very good chance I remember. Even specific rooms inside a dungeon, which is a testment to its art design. The details in the textures, the details in geometry, the characters, the surrounding environment, the sound design; all these elements have a symbiotic relation that makes something unique.

And that's something I'm not feeling in this game. As an example, I swear that the sounds from a charging shot in this game are exactly the same as in Prime games: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/248948.html

This is one of those things I was saying; I wouldn't be able to recognize this sound if it wasn't unique.

The same goes for it's visuals, in my opinion; there isn't a single element (that I've seen) that tells me "this is mine!". When I look at the guns, the game that springs in my mind is, precisely, Perfect Dark; specially the gun were you insert the ball (which is the ammo). If you remember Perfect Dark, you'll see that there is a gun which you get on the final levels, that's exactly like this one, at least in its concept. Of course, I only remember this gun because its design was unique at the time.

I understand that not all games need to be the most original or innovative, to be a good and enjoyable experience, and admitedly, I have yet to see everything this game has to offer, but from what I have seen from screens and videos the game seems to be a "yet another shooter" without it's own soul. Not that it makes a lot of difference, since there are so few FPS's on the system, as Hellfire said.

Of course this is all an IMO post; it isn't meant to be an attack to all the people that find this a very good looking game. God I've been spoiled by Okami.:heh:

Either way, I only criticized the game because of its art, which I happen to find generic and unworthy of so much "fapping", nothing else.

Well, yeah, I agree with you too, as have many of other members already too, that the game is generic artistically. But I think you have to look at it from the viewpoint of a person who only has a Wii. Now, I don't know if this is your case or not, but it is mine. The Wii is the only current-gen console I have at the moment and I dont' see a near future where I'll buy another so, be it generic or not, I don't mind a sci-fi FPS at the moment for Wii, with its own custom engine and plastic pretty lighting effects and perfect controls. Give it to me. :)

Not every game can be a perfect 10 in every department. Just like you can't ask for every movie to be Once Upon a Time in America or The Departed, sometimes you just have to appreciate a brainless summer blockbuster with lots of explosions. It's just part of life. :)

Well, yeah, I agree with you too, as have many of other members already too, that the game is generic artistically. But I think you have to look at it from the viewpoint of a person who only has a Wii. Now, I don't know if this is your case or not, but it is mine. The Wii is the only current-gen console I have at the moment and I dont' see a near future where I'll buy another so, be it generic or not, I don't mind a sci-fi FPS at the moment for Wii, with its own custom engine and plastic pretty lighting effects and perfect controls. Give it to me. :)

Not every game can be a perfect 10 in every department. Just like you can't ask for every movie to be Once Upon a Time in America or The Departed, sometimes you just have to appreciate a brainless summer blockbuster with lots of explosions. It's just part of life. :)

Yes, I concur:p. And yes, I only have a Wii aswell.

That game made me what I am (well, together with some other things...).

Hehe. I laughed at that bit.

I'm a Wii-only owner, so this games looks good to me. If I was a 360 owner, I'd probably be thinking something like 'Gah, not ANOTHER one'.

I already said in my other posts, I didn't complained about the image quality of the screenshots, or its lack of technical prowess; I said I found the art style generic. That as nothing to with screens vs. motion.

Sorry, I was more replying to the people who said the screens looked bad.

This game looks bad.

There, I said it. It might have profficient technology, but I can't believe this game is getting this much attention. I think this is just lowering expectations. Their effort is commendable, I'll give them that; they developed their own engine, and they are making this game only with internal funds.

But everything about this game screams generic. Except for an over-used bloom, can people honestly look at this last batch of screens (and all the others) and call it "good looking"? I look at this game and the only thing that comes to my mind are those freeware FPS's floating around the Internet. And there are people who look at it and call it "almost a 360 game!". Shit, the weed I smoked must have really messed up my head, I must be seeing things.

They became a symbol of hope, of effort, in a time most of the third-party games on Wii were (and still are), subpar.

As I said, their effort is commendable. And it seems that the game has good controls. But to consider this an "impressive, good looking game", and receiving awards for best looking game on Wii...

Oh Factor 5/Capcom-teams-with-high-budget-and-not-ports-or-spinoffs-teams, how I miss you.

Resident Evil 4 looked AWFUL just from screens, yet in motion it was awesome (incredible infact). I'm sorry but you can't really judge it by screens.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!