NEurope

So yeah, finally finished the single player campaign the other day (hey, I have very little time). Personally, I thought the campaign was a lot better then most reviewers made it out to be, yes, it was short, but very tight. The levels really did just get better and better as they went along, with Mission 8 undoubtedly being my favourite.

Now I'm really hoping for a sequel. I can't see why HVS wouldn't do one after they've finished the Grinder and Gladiator A.D.. Which makes me wonder though, if they do make a sequel, what are the chances of it being on Nintendo's next console?

So yeah, finally finished the single player campaign the other day (hey, I have very little time). Personally, I thought the campaign was a lot better then most reviewers made it out to be, yes, it was short, but very tight. The levels really did just get better and better as they went along, with Mission 8 undoubtedly being my favourite.

Now I'm really hoping for a sequel. I can't see why HVS wouldn't do one after they've finished the Grinder and Gladiator A.D.. Which makes me wonder though, if they do make a sequel, what are the chances of it being on Nintendo's next console?

I imagine the Wii will have a longer life span than just a few years more. The Quantum 3 engine isn't going to be a big deal next generation, only on the Wii this generation, so I think its likely that if they do a sequel, it will be on the Wii, and come out soon before Nintendo's next console.

I imagine the Wii will have a longer life span than just a few years more. The Quantum 3 engine isn't going to be a big deal next generation, only on the Wii this generation, so I think its likely that if they do a sequel, it will be on the Wii, and come out soon before Nintendo's next console.

Good Point. Though, if Nintendo's next console is built in a similar architecture that the GameCube/Wii was, it would be very easy to adapt the engine to the next console. That's what they did with the Quantum 2. But yes, I can definitely see them doing a sequel for Wii. :)

The Wii HD or whatever will probably be about as powerful as the 360/PS3, the point of the Quantum 3 engine in the first place to render graphical effects only found on those platforms for the Wii, while they're probably going to use the Quantum 3 as a starting point, if they develop an engine for the next Nintendo Console, the Quantum 3 technology will basically be useless, as they won't need to optimize stuff as much.

Wii 2 will no doubt be HD with the Wiimote perfected, and to be honest that's all we could ask for.

Can you imagine playing a tennis game or Tiger Woods now with an analogue stick!

That's the funniest thing with all the Wii bashing that goes on, you know that the next Sony & Microsoft consoles will just rip off the Wiimote and build a more powerfull machine and suddenly all the fanboys will declare it a revolution in gaming.

I doubt they could be both called rip-off. Both Microsoft and Sony's next gen systems will almost definitely come with cameras as standard (and if you consider that a rip-off, the EyeToy was demonstrated all the way back in 1999).

Also, that you just said the Wiimote needs to be perfected implies it is a justified view that the current controller just isn't good enough.

Gaming has never really had a 'revolution' in controls. It has always been, and will likely remain, a gradual shift.

haha i agree with everything yatzee says bar the controls without even playing the game..

Am i the only person who doesnt have a problem with wii controls? I swear people don't give controls a chance?

Okay, so I think I have had enough to offer my two cents.

Good:

- The controls. Yes, indeed, they are almost flawless. I say almost because some of the buttons are just too far away for quick responsiveness, and there's only 7 "buttons" which are really reliable (A, B, Z, C, -, +, nunchuk waggle) and 8 essential actions for a flowing game (fire, jump, crouch, melee, reload, change weapon, throw grenade and zoom... and possibly change grenade type as a 9th), and since waggling the wiimote for anything actually makes your aim go apeshit, you're going to have to sacrifice something along the way.

But that ain't the game's fault. So yes, while it may seem that I'm complaining too much, the controls are in fact as close to perfection as FPSing has ever been.

It's just a pity the home button couldn't be somewhere else to make room for a "=" button between - and +.

- The alien weapons. I was very glad to finally see an FPS in which the alien weapons are actually fantastic to use! (well, most of them, anyway)

- The multiplayer, when it works. Which is about half the time, for me.

Bad:

- There's few things that can really be called "bad" here, but certainly the story is a low point, rivaling GOW in how little it makes you care.

- The multiplayer, when it doesn't work. Which is the other half of the time. Also, the fact that they didn't include an offline multiplayer mode. Grrr.

As for everything else:

Completely average. And I mean that. There's nothing whatsoever there to make this game really standout. Not great. Not terrible. Just average. Way too bland to actually leave a mark. I'm not hoping for a sequel.

I am, however, very glad this game did come out. Because even if I'm not really looking forward to a sequel, the controls are so great that I'll actually be praying someone somewhere takes the fucking hint and just goes on and finally gives the wii that good original FPS it deserves. Or if that's doesn't happen, I hope something like COD4 or Modern Warfare 2 uses this control scheme when it comes out on the wii.

All in all, I'd give it a 6/10.

Edit: I forgot about this one:

Probably the worst part of it all, which is the fact that you can't look up. Which would be fine if there weren't a constant flow of flying enemies which are equiped with one of the strongest weapons in the game. This has got to be the worst thing about it.

Edited by Oxigen_Waste

Can't look up? Change that in the options. You can adjust how far up and down you can look. :P

ya i didnt get that either..of all things i woulnt expect controls to be an issue because they were even as farback as metroid prime 3.

Can't look up? Change that in the options. You can adjust how far up and down you can look. :P

Lol, pwned. :heh:

Ok, so I went and changed it, and lo and behold, there had to be a reason everyone was complaining about this. In order to look fully up you have to alter the sensibility. Which is bullshit because now I can't aim straight. Grrrr.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/869-The-Conduit

Amusing. I'm still waiting for this to come from LoveFilm. Sadly they decided to send me Bionic Commando instead or any of the decent games on my list.

He has got some points.

It's not that bad, but it's not great either. The multiplayer is what really hurts it.

When the industry standard for a console is COD why try to re-invent the wheel?

The Conduit fails on several levels:

1) Getting a game seems to take an age compared to COD

2) When you do finally get a game a worryingly large number of times you end up under the map unable to move, shoot or die.

3) The horredous double kills and lag.

What's more, the vile leveling up system - what were they thinking??? There is no point what-so-ever in grinding through all 24 levels. You don't unlock new weapons or abilities, and what's more you'll have to 'vote' on the levels, game types and weapons you do use, which often means you'll be stuck on a 20 minute game grinding it out with bazookas for the umptenth time.

Oh and if you do want to drop out of the group and find another, beware, you could well be waiting up to 5 minutes to just be dropped back into another explosive marathon filled with double kills.

Now, I know COD:WAW had lag, but it usually was only noticable when you shot at someone, but on The Conduit I've seen people drop through ledges, run through walls, disappear, reappear and even kill you seconds after you've dispatched him.

How the clowns at High Voltage thought this would be a revelation in gaming is beyond me.

The level system is more for playing with people at your own skill level. Unlocking weapons and stuff the more you play, just makes it harder for new players.

The level system is more for playing with people at your own skill level. Unlocking weapons and stuff the more you play, just makes it harder for new players.

I do see where you're coming from, but the whole progression system does make it more fun to play. Plus, I don't think with the whole 'boot camp' that it's hard to get started on WAW, after all, if you're shite and you're level 1 you only play other shite level 1 players. All the major classes and the best perks are available almost from the off.

It just feels really good when you master a weapon and are rewarded for it by unlocking new colours, new add ons or justa big XP boost. I also like the way you get to personalise your character to your play style.

In COD some people are snipers, some run and gun and others are close quarters. In The Conduit there's nothing really to personalise your experience.

I even prefer Medal of Honor Heroes 2 then The Conduit, 32 player capture the flag on The Village FTW!

Hang on, I'm not saying Conduit is better than CoD:W@W, I haven't CoD yet, and in some ways MoH is better than The Conduit. But just because the level system dosen't seem to do much for the player, I really do think it does, I found every time I went up a rank, the people I was facing were better.

Edited by Emasher

Hang on, I'm not saying Conduit is better than CoD:W@W, I haven't CoD yet, and in some ways MoH is better. But just because the level system dosen't seem to do much for the player, I really do think it does, I found every time I went up a rank, the people I was facing were better.

Wow, well try out COD and see what you think :)

Well, N-europe has kind o' abandoned this game, including me...............

Ben is still a die-hard, good ol' ben. I'm up for 12 player mayhem, but there's just too much awesome stuff coming out.

To be quite fair to myself, the on-line was not what I expected....The levels are too claustrofobic.....I'm hoping the sequel will make us all smile.

I don't know about that. The Pentagon level with team objective is an amazing online experience with most of the players having wii speak.

I think its just me, Ben and WelshGamer who play it regularly online now though, very sad.

I don't know about that. The Pentagon level with team objective is an amazing online experience with most of the players having wii speak.

Well, I can't speak for having Wii Speak, but the Pentagon is a very tactical map. I adore it myself.

Yeah, we need to get back into multiplayer gaming on this. Life's just been crazy busy for me...

Anyways, finished the one player tonight. Bloody hell what a disappointment, it was building to some climactic ending and then it's the credits!! WHAT?!?! There ar said e no bosses in this game (maybe one actually) and it was pretty repetitive... And the story is terrible. And presented terribly. The one player is as bad as the reviews; but the controls are so good it was never anything that fun to play...just imagine a story with as much care as say Bioshock or Modern Warfare (but longer) with the wii controls....ho hum....

Anyways, ultimately I still think it's a really good game, and of course the multiplayer is great (though again with problems). I think they could really nail the sequel...though Grinder excites me more anyway!!

What I will ask though, is what the hell is mission on the profile? Is that getting all the secrets and messages? Don't get it. Also, there are loads of achievements, but pretty much all of them are one player ones, but as far as I can see, the game gives you no reason whatsoever to actually play through it again... STUPID!

I know it's a bit late, but here's my review of The Conduit:

Hype is very much a double edged sword. No game can ever truly prosper without it, after all you need to get people hyped for your product in order for it to gather interest and sell. However too much hype can lead to expectations well above what your product can deliver and that leads to disappointment and an inevitable backlash when a product doesn’t live up to its lofty proclamations of greatness.

The Conduit suffers from this more than any other game I’ve played in a long time. High Voltage and numerous gaming sites and magazines hyped The Conduit to a ridiculous level. Needless to say many people will be disappointed with the game; however that is not to say it’s a bad game – it isn’t. In fact The Conduit is what could be called a solid game. It does everything it needs to and in most cases does those things competently.

The game chronicles the adventure of one Mr. Ford. Not a good start really, Mr. Ford, not Mr. Porsche or Mr. Ferrari, not even Mr. BMW or Mr. Audi. Ford’s aren’t exciting, they’re good solid cars that get you from A to B, but they aren’t exciting, they don’t push any limits or raise any pulses. But that doesn’t mean they are bad, they are just a solid decent run of the mill car. This theme of solid but uninspiring is something dogs The Conduit, from the name of main protagonist right through to nearly every other aspect of the package.

Looking back on the time I spent with the game almost every aspect of it was simply serviceable. The plot was hardly Hollywood AAA material, it was enjoyable; it wasn’t bad and didn’t grate on me and at the same time it was instantly forgettable. Somewhat like an enjoyable straight to DVD film, it’s reasonably engaging but at the same time you probably will have forgotten it a day or so later. It ticks all the Sci-Fi boxes; aliens, shadowy government organisations, and the world being under threat, but you end up feeling you have heard it before and what’s more you’ve seen it done better.

The game play followed suit, the revolutionary experience HVS had teased basically boiled down to a linear corridor based shooter which frequently relied on spawning enemies. The titular ‘Conduit’ is essentially a gate which spawns enemies, frequently you find yourself destroying these gates to stem the flow of the aliens, aptly named the Drudge. There is nothing wrong with this, but it is hardly ground breaking or inventive and simply doesn’t make the impression you would hope a modern game to make.

The controls are good; this is something HVS had heavily played upon before the release of The Conduit. HVS software had promised fully customisable controls, but whilst plenty about the controls is customisable you are still stuck throwing your grenades by flinging the nunchuck forward. When the Call of Duty franchise had effectively eliminated excessive motions in World at War, The Conduit felt almost like a backward step in this regard.

The graphics are also serviceable. The models are solid, the lighting is good and everything runs smoothly enough. However when it comes to level design and art direction you can’t help but feel a total lack of inspiration went into this game. From the bland corridors and rooms filled with crates to the bug like alien designs, everything just feels standard. The streets and outdoor locations are just the same, nothing feels organic and everything seems to isometric with sharp angles.

What’s more HVS adopted a curious effect that makes all the models in the game look very shiny. It is as if everything has been polished and the environment looks too clean giving the game world an unnatural feel and look. This isn’t the end of the world and certainly doesn’t ruin the game but it’s just another small aspect which prevents you from ever truly being immersed in the environment. Saying all that it runs smoothly, it doesn’t slow down and it never looks broken.

The soundtrack is like the rest of the game – it’s simply ‘fine’. The in game music is suited to the Sci-Fi setting and the assorted grunts and voices are done in a competent and workman like manner. You certainly won’t find yourself reaching for the mute button, but at the same time I doubt anyone will be scouring the internet for the game’s soundtrack.

The big selling point with any modern FPS is always the online multiplayer, that’s where the gaming community spends most of their time. The Conduit is again a mixed bag when it comes to the online play. It has all the modes and features one would expect – but really does nothing new at all. There is a decent selection of levels to play, but each one feels unremarkable. The levels are uninspiring and each one is identical from left to right, as if the developers created half a level and simply mirrored it to complete a larger play area.

The online play is solid when everything goes right and I have found it quite engaging at times. At other times I found myself pulling my hair out due to several appalling design decisions. Firstly it seems to take forever to get into a game, it’s not like Call of Duty where you wait 30 seconds and you’re playing, The Conduit can have you waiting up to 5 minutes, which is a long time to be sat watching a loading screen.

But the real problem with the online comes from the decision to have players vote on what you will play. That’s right, it’s like Mario Kart. In Mario Kart everyone voted on a track and the computer would then randomly select which track to play from the list - this worked great. If worst came to worst you would find yourself playing a track you didn’t like for 3 minutes.

In The Conduit this system simply doesn’t work, you can end up playing a game featuring explosive weapons, in a level you hate for up to 20 minutes. This is torturous, especially considering that if you drop out of the game you can have to wait a good 5 minutes to simply find another group, at which point there is the chance you will just end up facing the same nightmare all over again. Democracy in The Conduit simply doesn’t work!

But when the multiplayer is doing what it should it does work and when you get a good group playing in the better modes you will have fun. There isn’t a massive variety in the weapons, and the levels are uninspiring, but it is serviceable all the same. The inclusion of Wii Speak is a massive bonus too. I found myself at times actually forgetting all the shortcomings and enjoying myself. When you’re playing with friends and co-ordinating in a capture the flag match it can be pretty griping stuff.

This brings us on to how long the game is going to last you, well that all depends on two things really. The single player is serviceable and at times fun, it’s unlikely to blow your mind, but if you do like it there are hidden extras and messages throughout the levels for you to go back and collect. What’s more if you do have a group of friends who have the game there is a decent amount of fun to be had online.

Final Comment

The Conduit isn’t a bad game; it’s just not a great game either. What it does, it does to a reasonable standard and in a workman like way. It won’t astound you; it won’t redefine gaming and won’t be something that you will show off to your friends. It is however a solid game and one that you will get a good amount of enjoyment from – as long as you don’t have lofty expectations. The Conduit isn’t the best shooter on the Wii, but it’s not the worst by a long way either. If you’re an FPS fan you will definitely get something out this, especially if you have friends with Wii Speak who are want to join you online. The biggest single issue that dogs this game is the ridiculous hype heaped upon it by numerous sources and HVS themselves. In the face of this hype, when the public were expecting a Ferrari, they ended up with a Mr. Ford – something that was bound to lead to disappointment.