NEurope

The problem with relying on internet word-of-mouth for game sales is, if it comes out and gets a few bad reviews, almost all your potential ex-sales are gone.

lol, dazzybee, the Single Player, as you said, its really great, so even tough its short,it continues to be great.

Tough, i have to admit, after playing on Wii Metroid, i can't play any other FPS on PC/XBOX360/PS3, its too clunky for my taste.

lol, dazzybee, the Single Player, as you said, its really great, so even tough its short,it continues to be great.

Tough, i have to admit, after playing on Wii Metroid, i can't play any other FPS on PC/XBOX360/PS3, its too clunky for my taste.

My God Maase, the amount of comma's used in that post scares me.

there is a really great interview at the end of the IGN podcast, High Voltage seem really passionate about getting this game right.

Wow. I got laughed at at school today because I said I was anticipating an FPS on the Wii. I can't believe how stupid some people are these days.

Wow. I got laughed at at school today because I said I was anticipating an FPS on the Wii. I can't believe how stupid some people are these days.

Yeah? Tell them that school that you're anticipating a PS3 exclusive that's actually worth buying and is not an interatcive movie, that'll get some laughs too!

Tbh it's not like the wii has a rep of making the best FPS's atm....Metroid nailed it but come on, that's for the niche..

Tbh it's not like the wii has a rep of making the best FPS's atm....Metroid nailed it but come on, that's for the niche..

I'll put this simply - Metroid Prime is not niche. Metroid Prime was never a commercial failure. Metroid Prime 3 sold faster on its initial launch than Bioshock. Metroid Prime 3 went on to sell around 1.4m worldwide.

It's a sad sad day when MP3 is labelled as a 'niche' game. Nothing against you Goron.

I know what you mean about Metroid Prime 3, I'd describe it as Godly! Haha

Very much looking forward to The Conduit, I hope it lives up to it's potential!

My personal opinion of the Prime series is that it should have sold more. Metroid is a key Nintendo franchise and I personally see no reason why it shouldn't have shifted units comparable to Zelda. Admittedly, it never has, but it should.

I'll put this simply - Metroid Prime is not niche. Metroid Prime was never a commercial failure. Metroid Prime 3 sold faster on its initial launch than Bioshock. Metroid Prime 3 went on to sell around 1.4m worldwide.

haha.

I'm sorry but only the most dedicated gamers play Metroid games. I'm what you might call a 'hardcore gamer' and I know a lot of friends that are, but only maybe 1 or 2 of them even consider playing the 3d metroid games. Infact, look at the sales of the Super Metroid...

Oh, and CoD4 sold 10m worldwide...The wii needs a massive FPS to convince people that the wii is capable of some quality FPS's; until then people will be content with CoD4 and Halo 3.

Yeah? Tell them that school that you're anticipating a PS3 exclusive that's actually worth buying and is not an interatcive movie, that'll get some laughs too!

It was actually two sony fanboys.

Anyway, I was talking to this guy who owns both a 360 and a Wii and he was saying he was incredibly hyped for The Conduit, perhaps this is a good sign.

haha.

I'm sorry but only the most dedicated gamers play Metroid games. I'm what you might call a 'hardcore gamer' and I know a lot of friends that are, but only maybe 1 or 2 of them even consider playing the 3d metroid games. Infact, look at the sales of the Super Metroid...

Oh, and CoD4 sold 10m worldwide...The wii needs a massive FPS to convince people that the wii is capable of some quality FPS's; until then people will be content with CoD4 and Halo 3.

I don't see why the Conduit cannot become that FPS. It could turn out to be incredible. If the publisher is any good, there could be quite a few sales of it.

Glad to see you no longer feel that the game looks like an "N64 shooter".

I did read your post and you're basically saying that something unique is only worth doing once and thus The Conduit was just another "clone" of those games. It's a rediuclous argument. I mean, come on, the 360 would be dead without FPS's and if you think along your lines then CoD 4 is just another FPS clone when clearly it's not. It's a refined FPS to the point where the quality of the experience is just so much better than what came before. This is exactly the same as with The Conduit. It's potentially the single best example of FPS on Wii, a fledgling genre in itself. Look at one of the most succesful games companies in the business - Blizzard. They have NEVER innovated or done anything unique yet their games are held in extremely high regard. They refine, they improve and they polish to the extent where being unique is irrelevant - it's about making the best RTS in a saturated PC market or the best MMO on the internet. This anaolgy holds true when applied to The Conduit except on Wii the hype surrounding the game is far more understandable as there's very little competition anyway.

never said it looked like an n64 shooter..

i just think it will turn out average thats all.. good start but still... people dont buy games for future potential they wants the goods now.

It was actually two sony fanboys.

Anyway, I was talking to this guy who owns both a 360 and a Wii and he was saying he was incredibly hyped for The Conduit, perhaps this is a good sign.

I don't see why the Conduit cannot become that FPS. It could turn out to be incredible. If the publisher is any good, there could be quite a few sales of it.

I never said it's not going to be THAT FPS. You said something orginally about people laughing at the fact that you're hyped for a wii shooter and based on what's on the system so far you can't blame them.

My God Maase, the amount of comma's used in that post scares me.

ROFLMAO !! Agreed :bowdown: :bowdown:

My personal opinion of the Prime series is that it should have sold more. Metroid is a key Nintendo franchise and I personally see no reason why it shouldn't have shifted units comparable to Zelda. Admittedly, it never has, but it should.

In my opinion, Metroid Prime (the original) didn't deserve to sell as well as Mario or Zelda, because unlike those two, it wasn't designed to be for everyone. I've been playing games for decades, but I just could not beat the final boss of MP1. And before that, getting to and defeating most of the bosses (Thardus, Omega Pirate and Meta Ridley spring to mind) was more of a chore than enjoyable.

Admittedly, it was my first Metroid, and I didn't understand how the games played. For some reason, I then tried the 2D Metroids on the GBA and I loved them!

In my opinion, the placement of the save points, lack of peripheral vision (it was crucial to see Samus in the context of her enivironment) and switching between different types of lasers and visors mean, to me, Metroid hasn't been done perfectly in 3D yet. Admittedly, MP3 addressed some of these.

I don't resent the real hardcore having the Prime series (in fact, I will buy MP3 when I get a Wii and I can get it for around £20), but I don't think Retro Studios are as good as an in-house studio.

But yes, the Prime series shouldn't be overlooked by FPS fans, as they really are hardcore and the Wii's pointing controls work so well.

Given that during the throughout the last generation Gamecube and Xbox were reasonably neck and neck in market share, why is it that the original Halo racked up 5 million in sales, while Prime earned around 1-2 million.

While i dislike comparing the two, its clear that Halo was marketed right, it was pitched perfectly to its audience, shifted hardware and effectively conned a generation, no two generations, into thinking it was a masterpiece. And Nintendo shits out some adverts and hopes for the best, a strategy still used for their core audience today. While Dr Kawashima's Brain Training enjoys celebrity endorsement in prime time tv, the core games struggle to get any meaningful promotion- i can't recall seeing a commercial in the key young male space- thats the core- young males.

I don't recall Nintendo have a solid marketing strategy since Goldeneye 007, for months before release i recall cinema trailers, print marketing, tv.

I don't think TV adds are really that great for advertising core games. Its usually better to have little slips in the boxes of more popular games saying that if you enjoyed this game you may also like such and such.

Halo and Metroid Prime (1) weren't really that comparable. All they really had in common were they were Sci-Fi games in the first person perspective. I wouldn't really call Metroid Prime and FPS, maybe prime 3, but the first one just wasn't.

lol, sorry Haggis.

Sometimes, i dont even notice im using them, i type very fast.

I don't think TV adds are really that great for advertising core games. Its usually better to have little slips in the boxes of more popular games saying that if you enjoyed this game you may also like such and such.

Not really. I, for one, have never read one of them, ever.

Halo and Metroid Prime (1) weren't really that comparable. All they really had in common were they were Sci-Fi games in the first person perspective. I wouldn't really call Metroid Prime and FPS, maybe prime 3, but the first one just wasn't.

TV Advertising is only part of the equation, you've got so much more to think about with a marketing strategy, and thats my point- Nintendo may advertise, but its simply not effective because its not part of a strategy...

Its as if Nintendo suddenly realise they've got a game out next week, and pump out an advert for the sake of it.

And in regards to comparing Metroid and Halo, as i said, i'm uncomfortable doing so- although i feel i was comparing their promotion, not they're content. The fact remains that Microsoft did an amazing job at marketing Halo. Nintendo coughed up an advert, and job done.

Not really. I, for one, have never read one of them, ever.

Thats probably because you're a real gamer. Alot of what I might call Semi Hardcore gamers still read them.