NEurope

semi hardcore? that's um, softcore right? I dislike being branded >.> its like i'm addicted to ultra hard games or something odd, anyways the coduit, is it too much to ask to let it be? it's not gonna be ready for so long. We are going on such small information that we can't really judge it, unfinished screen shots, all this hype etc, it's gonna make them rush the game more.

I read everything that comes with a new game. I examine the front cover, the back cover, read the back cover text, examine the manual, etc, etc. It's part of the ritual of buying a new game. I never understood and never will understand people who just pop the game in the console and whack away without care for its packaging.

I read everything that comes with a new game. I examine the front cover, the back cover, read the back cover text, examine the manual, etc, etc. It's part of the ritual of buying a new game. I never understood and never will understand people who just pop the game in the console and whack away without care for its packaging.

hmmm I;m guilty of that.. Cmon most people only read the manual if they are truely stuck in a game :)

I don't see how the manual can "unstuck" you... For that you have GameFAQs. :)

But anyway, I read it as part of a ritual, like I mentioned.... I treasure all my possessions, be they games, DVDs, books or CDs.

I paid for the program on the DVD, not the plastic it's packaged in.

I'd have to agree with Mr. ... (what sort of pseudo is that anyway!? :p) on this. Its ritualistic for me too: you get a game, you read the back, you look inside, see what there is, flick through the instruction book and then try the game out. I don't usually read the instruction book fully before playing, but I'd read through it later on that night.

I'm not really worried about what adverts there are in there for other games though. I generally know what games are coming out, so if I got a leaflet saying, "If you enjoy The Conduit then try out [wtvr]" I don't think it would effect me. It could be useful for others who are less informed.

What I mean is Chavs and Fadders. They don't really know much about what they're buying, they just like the idea of the game. They will buy games that we would label as hardcore though.

I don't see how the manual can "unstuck" you... For that you have GameFAQs. :)

But anyway, I read it as part of a ritual, like I mentioned.... I treasure all my possessions, be they games, DVDs, books or CDs.

I'd have to agree with Mr. ... (what sort of pseudo is that anyway!? :p) on this. Its ritualistic for me too: you get a game, you read the back, you look inside, see what there is, flick through the instruction book and then try the game out. I don't usually read the instruction book fully before playing, but I'd read through it later on that night.

I'm not really worried about what adverts there are in there for other games though. I generally know what games are coming out, so if I got a leaflet saying, "If you enjoy The Conduit then try out [wtvr]" I don't think it would effect me. It could be useful for others who are less informed.

These people speak sense and sum me up perfectly. When you buy the game, Technically you are paying for the case and it's contents so why not enjoy them. I really do it to just get the full info about the game/movie/hardware because I like learning and knowing most if not all about that particular piece of kit.

/ontopic

Anyways. Conduit looks good and I for one cannot wait for it to come out. Generic FPS with wii controls =/= Generic FPS on 360/PS3. In fact, there is a whole lot more possible if you are trying to immerse the player, ala MP3, than what you can do on PC.

I'd have to agree with Mr. ... (what sort of pseudo is that anyway!? :p)

It's just as anonymous as darksnowman, no more, no less. :p

I find that the manual can get you unstuck only if you didn't know how to use a certain ability. For instance, when I got Zelda: TP, I couldn't figure out how to use the fishing rod and had to look it up. If you're stuck on a boss or something, thats different. I don't really read it before I play the game, when I get a game I'm generally too excited and just start playing.

It would be different for Chavs and Fadders though. They probably aren't going to have Gamer's instinct so they're going to probably need to look at the manual. They might also notice the in-box adds. Since they probably don't read about games online, they're going to take the add's word that "if they liked this, they're going to like such and such" and perhaps buy such and such next.

I find that the manual can get you unstuck only if you didn't know how to use a certain ability. For instance, when I got Zelda: TP, I couldn't figure out how to use the fishing rod and had to look it up. If you're stuck on a boss or something, thats different. I don't really read it before I play the game, when I get a game I'm generally too excited and just start playing.

It would be different for Chavs and Fadders though. They probably aren't going to have Gamer's instinct so they're going to probably need to look at the manual. They might also notice the in-box adds. Since they probably don't read about games online, they're going to take the add's word that "if they liked this, they're going to like such and such" and perhaps buy such and such next.

Sorry but I disagree with this. IMO, these are the types that 'don't have time to read a shitty manual' and are the ones that stick the game straight in the console with no prior knowledge, other than it looks cool. I have known these people and seen it happen, and they find it too hard/complicated so they say its crap and take it back. These are why manuals are barely more than 10 pages, and games tend to have tutorials, some which can be really intrusive and painfully long. I miss the good ol' days of the thick manuals that were like reading a book :D

I miss the good ol' days of the thick manuals that were like reading a book

Me too.

I remember some Atari 2600 manuals being pretty thick. Given the games were usually simplistic, if the instructions were a large size, then this promised the game was going to be really deep and complicated. It never was of course. There were three pages of instructions in English and 57 pages of foreign language instructions. No exaggeration.

Me too.

I remember some Atari 2600 manuals being pretty thick. Given the games were usually simplistic, if the instructions were a large size, then this promised the game was going to be really deep and complicated. It never was of course. There were three pages of instructions in English and 57 pages of foreign language instructions. No exaggeration.

Jesus, the way I constructed that sentence makes me sound like a chav/retarded. Anyways, yeah I remember...desert storm for the Mega Drive had a thick manual. Then when you actually get into it, it's 5 pages then the rest is translation. Actually, that was with all EA games. Ah the Final Fantasty games of old had wonderful manuals.

I wrote an essay for my graphic design class on the history of videogame packaging design, including manuals and shit.

Now that's hardcore!

Sorry but I disagree with this. IMO, these are the types that 'don't have time to read a shitty manual' and are the ones that stick the game straight in the console with no prior knowledge, other than it looks cool. I have known these people and seen it happen, and they find it too hard/complicated so they say its crap and take it back. These are why manuals are barely more than 10 pages, and games tend to have tutorials, some which can be really intrusive and painfully long. I miss the good ol' days of the thick manuals that were like reading a book :D

Well, some of them. Alot of the ones I've met would probably at least give it a glance if they got stuck.

I wrote an essay for my graphic design class on the history of videogame packaging design, including manuals and shit.

Now that's hardcore!

There's an article about game packaging and manuals in this months Edge.

Coincedence? dun dun dun. In reply, i barely read the manuals, unless it's a totally new game, then i might. I may also read it to get some backstory, but thats it.

Composer behind Transformers, Resident Evil: Extinction scores The Conduit

Hoffman Estates, IL - September 9, 2008 - High Voltage Software, Inc., one of the world’s largest independent developers, today officially announced that their stunning first-person action shooter, The Conduit, has been scored by famed composer Diego Stocco.

Diego Stocco’s music sound design credits include movies such as Transformers, Resident Evil: Extinction, Crank, Jumper, Lady in the Water, and videogame soundtracks for Justice League Heroes and SoulCalibur IV. His commercial credits include Nokia, Samsung, Panasonic, BMW and General Motors.

“Working with Diego was such an enjoyment,” said Michael Metz, Audio/Visual Director at High Voltage Software. “When I heard the first track he made for The Conduit, I literally got the chills, it was exactly the mood and mix of sound design and music we were looking for.”

“The Conduit unveils incredible scenarios during the game, with a richness in terms of details and action that is very inspiring for a composer,” said Stocco. “I’m very excited to be part of The Conduit; it’s the kind of project that makes me push the envelope in terms of sound creativity.”

The Conduit won several awards following its appearance and demonstration at E3 2008. IGN.com gave it three awards, including Best Shooter Game of E3 2008 (Wii), Best Graphics Technology of E3 2008 (Wii), and Best Overall Wii Game of E3 2008. GameTrailers.com also gave it Best Wii Game of E3 2008.

The Conduit is scheduled for release in Q1 2009 exclusively for the Nintendo Wii.

Good news about the composer I guess. We should be finding out the publisher soon too. Was there an exact date when they said they would reveal this.

This game is certainly looking better and better, but I'd like to see it first before I believe it :p

They need to do a Wii publicity about this, here is my idea.

A guy in his twenties coming after a day of Work, he then decides to sit in a couch and picks up the Wii Mote.

He is stressed, he starts killing aliens, and then he suddenly transforms in the agent.

Then on the other houses there is the guy's boss, the ex-girlfriend and the ex-best friend who took her girfriend in an Online match.

Agent pwns them all...

The conduit, pwn and stop the stress.

The sales would go in the billion numbers, and we would rejoice with more FPS coming to our house ^^

Composer behind Transformers, Resident Evil: Extinction scores The Conduit

Hoffman Estates, IL - September 9, 2008 - High Voltage Software, Inc., one of the world’s largest independent developers, today officially announced that their stunning first-person action shooter, The Conduit, has been scored by famed composer Diego Stocco.

Diego Stocco’s music sound design credits include movies such as Transformers, Resident Evil: Extinction, Crank, Jumper, Lady in the Water, and videogame soundtracks for Justice League Heroes and SoulCalibur IV. His commercial credits include Nokia, Samsung, Panasonic, BMW and General Motors.

“Working with Diego was such an enjoyment,†said Michael Metz, Audio/Visual Director at High Voltage Software. “When I heard the first track he made for The Conduit, I literally got the chills, it was exactly the mood and mix of sound design and music we were looking for.â€

“The Conduit unveils incredible scenarios during the game, with a richness in terms of details and action that is very inspiring for a composer,†said Stocco. “I’m very excited to be part of The Conduit; it’s the kind of project that makes me push the envelope in terms of sound creativity.â€

The Conduit won several awards following its appearance and demonstration at E3 2008. IGN.com gave it three awards, including Best Shooter Game of E3 2008 (Wii), Best Graphics Technology of E3 2008 (Wii), and Best Overall Wii Game of E3 2008. GameTrailers.com also gave it Best Wii Game of E3 2008.

The Conduit is scheduled for release in Q1 2009 exclusively for the Nintendo Wii.

It's nice to see they're making effort in every department. This is haping up to be very good.