N-Europe

New Samba De Amigo shots

Mr. Bananagrabber

Guest Jordan

Its not Samba De Amigo without the Marracca's and dance mat.

But this'll do nicely... as long as the musics good!

Its not Samba De Amigo without the Marracca's and dance mat.

But this'll do nicely... as long as the musics good!

Thats true but this is Sega so they may choose to support the remote / nunchuck and balance board (if that would even work) or just release a dance mat of their own and a couple of Maraca shells for the controllers.

Maybe they will do neither... but yeah as long as the tracklist is good and they improve the controls (previous reports suggested it needed work) then I'll get it as I never got to play the original but I really wanted to. >>

Guest Jordan

I don't quite understand why they didn't make it two player only like the DC version and bundle it with a Wiimote...

The nunchuk is no way as sensitive as the Wiimote is.

I don't quite understand why they didn't make it two player only like the DC version and bundle it with a Wiimote...

Probably soley down to the cost of additional Wii-motes... plus if this is up to 4 players then the idea of having 8 Wii-motes for one game does sound a bit overkill but yeah I'd like the support there as it would make the game more playable with 2 remotes.

You can use 2 wiimotes instead on nunchuck+wiimote and a bundle wouldn't be easy. First, it's expensive, the point of this game coming to Wii is that we don't need to fork out a bajillion dollars, second the wiimote is made by nintendo, for them to distribute it, there would be always complications.

Also, the wiimote's acelerometer is LESS precise than the nunchuck, but it can measure larger accelarations. The main problem (which shouldn't be huge one) is to "balance" the two acelerometers to work similarly at the same time.

IGN' Hands-on: Samba de Amigo

It's been eight years since Samba de Amigo arrived on the Dreamcast, and we're happy to report this monkey has aged well. We got to shake a couple Wii Remotes to the rhythm game at Nintendo's Media Summit and found it looking good and playing well.

The original Samba was kind of a "Maraca Hero" that had players shaking maraca peripherals in time with various pieces of Latin music. The whole affair is set against an extremely colorful backdrop of exuberant dancers and the monkey mascot. There are no peripherals for the Wii version, though. Players can use either two Remotes or a Remote and Nunchuk. It might take some getting used to for seasoned Samba players, but we found the control scheme worked well.

We now have a smaller shaking radius. The previous game came with a sensor that rested on the floor and measured the height of your maracas. Here, your tilt is being calculated. Before you play, the game will calibrate the controllers for you. There are six shake "positions," three for each Remote, at 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, and 11 o'clock. Helpfully, an indicator shows which position you are pointed to at all times, so you can line up your shake before hand.

Along with the regular shakes there is a "vibrate" mechanic where you agitate the remotes quickly in place. We definitely miss the sound of the old maraca controllers, but the Wii Remotes perform just as well otherwise. The pose moments have been retained, requiring the player to vogue at key moments in the song.

SEGA was showing off the song "Hot Hot Hot" at the event. Super fans will remember the song was included in the Japan-only Samba de Amigo Ver. 2000. Visually the game looks great. There are a few jaggies but so much zany activity is going on in the background they're easy to forget.

There are several game modes including quick play, multiplayer, and something called "Love Love."

The game supports your Miis and will display them next to your score. Their expressions will change based on your performance, giving you one of three indicators (bad, medium, or good).

What we saw was still very early, and it seems most of the development effort is going into making sure the Wii version controls well. But Samba fans shouldn't be too worried.