N-Europe

Fox Hunting

navarre

I liked your opinion before. Now I just think that you're a narrow minded bigotted tit. Have u been on a hunt? Do you know people who do hunt? Do you have anything near vaguely first hand experience of the sport?

People who have a go at people for being "posh" are just self-pitying wankers. It's a knee-flinch response which is totally uncalled for. I REALLY hate people who actually discriminate against others for having any money at all. A lot of the people who go on the hunts aren't that well off.

I said "I'd guess" at the beginning, which infact implies that i was guessing. Obviously i was wrong.

As for having 'a go' at people who are posh, i don't know where you got that from because i wasn't... or is the word "posh" insult? i dunno.

All i was saying was that I bet alot of it is for the social aspect.

Jamba wins this thread, I agree with everything he says. The people who just say they do it because they like killing animals really need to do some research about it before saying anything.

Edit:

What would these more effective ways be navarre?

A particular favourite of mine would be stronger fences to keep the foxes out.

Good: Creates employment for people, bridges the class gap, keeps English heirtage alive, keeps national heritage sites funded, is actually sport (like exercise and team work kind of thing).

Bad: Most hunts are just blood trailes now. Hardly ever a fox involved so the arguement for animal rights i kind of invalid (it was a huge debateably grey area to start with!) Dangerous sport (my only genuine concern) and encourages the breeding and upbringing of more ferral dogs.

Maybe the people round me are different to the ones you know but where I live it certainly doesn't bridge the class gap. If anything it widens it. The people that do it are stuck up and arrogant. They treat you like shit because you don't have a big, expensive car or an extravagent house.

Well not being ripped apart by dogs for one. Not being clobbered by wooden clubs for another. If they just used guns it wouldn't be as bad.

As for having 'a go' at people who are posh, i don't know where you got that from because i wasn't... or is the word "posh" insult? i dunno.

Sorry for being a bit over zealous. It is usually used in an insulting fashion and the way you punctuated a sentence by using it twice inferred that you were using it in that way. Very few people say "posh" without sounding like they're spitting out the p sound.

Maybe the people round me are different to the ones you know but where I live it certainly doesn't bridge the class gap. If anything it widens it. The people that do it are stuck up and arrogant. They treat you like shit because you don't have a big, expensive car or an extravagent house.

Well I know loads of people who go hunting and none of them are posh.

Well not being ripped apart by dogs for one. Not being clobbered by wooden clubs for another. If they just used guns it wouldn't be as bad.

So you want one to be shot in the leg, limp off then die from blood lose/not being able to hunt for food?

Well I know loads of people who go hunting and none of them are posh.

So you want one to be shot in the leg, limp off then die from blood lose/not being able to hunt for food?

1) I did say the people that I knew. We must know different sorts of people.

2) Preferably better than being svaged by feral dogs and/or clubbed to death.

Have you never killed a bug?

Most insects cause an involuntary reaction of fear in most humans. In most cases, humans kill humans just because of a subconscious thought that thay're a threat to us.

Are you a vegetarian navarre?

Most mammals that we eat are a great source of meat. Foxes aren't.

That does sound like a slightly coloured view but I konw the kind of people that you are talking about. However around the rest of the countryside, there are plenty of hunts that require dog handlers, horse trainers and many many other viallge folk to make it possible. The co-operation between the huntsman and the organisers are what brings them together. But yeah, every case is not going to be like I suggest it.

I think that animal rights activists are extremely dangerous people. They are terrorists and in my view their cause and logic is broken. I'd rather we hunted them than foxes.

That does sound like a slightly coloured view but I konw the kind of people that you are talking about. However around the rest of the countryside, there are plenty of hunts that require dog handlers, horse trainers and many many other viallge folk to make it possible. The co-operation between the huntsman and the organisers are what brings them together. But yeah, every case is not going to be like I suggest it.

I think that animal rights activists are extremely dangerous people. They are terrorists and in my view their cause and logic is broken. I'd rather we hunted them than foxes.

Yeah I've got to agree with that. Most extremists are complete hypocrites.

Humans kill animals for food and clothing. It's nature. I just don't agree with killing for "sport". It's cruel. I kill rats and mice as pest control. But I do it when they are on my own land. I don't go out into the woods with x amount of other people, gun in one hand, club in other and y amount of savage dogs.

Well I hate it hugely, but I think it's also overblown. I don't much see the difference between eating meat, fox hunting, animal experimentation (on cosmetics, not life saving drugs), fishing, non-free range eggs, pheasant shooting, and pest control.

I do agree that it's horrible to chase the fox instead of just shooting it, but I find that a bit silly. If someone chased you to try to rip you apart, would you care more about the trauma, or the fact that you don't get to be alive after that? Surely the most important part is the actual death of the animal, regardless of how it's done. Is the enjoyment of the hunt for the people worth the trauma for the fox? In my opinion, no, but what matters is that the poor thing dies.

My opinions about the people who do it? Assuming they justify it as a form of pest control made fun, rather than being wankers who want fun at something else's expense, I see them in line with meat eaters, animal testers, and fishermen - I wish they'd stop doing it, but as they think they're doing an okay thing, it's not really my place to say anything.

Oh and I say farmers should just put netting under the ground around chicken coops to stop the foxes getting underneath.

p.s. I'm a vegetarian. All of you go veg too? please? :(

Well I hate it hugely, but I think it's also overblown. I don't much see the difference between eating meat, fox hunting, animal experimentation (on cosmetics, not life saving drugs), fishing, non-free range eggs, pheasant shooting, and pest control.

I do agree that it's horrible to chase the fox instead of just shooting it, but I find that a bit silly. If someone chased you to try to rip you apart, would you care more about the trauma, or the fact that you don't get to be alive after that? Surely the most important part is the actual death of the animal, regardless of how it's done. Is the enjoyment of the hunt for the people worth the trauma for the fox? In my opinion, no, but what matters is that the poor thing dies.

My opinions about the people who do it? Assuming they justify it as a form of pest control made fun, rather than being wankers who want fun at something else's expense, I see them in line with meat eaters, animal testers, and fishermen - I wish they'd stop doing it, but as they think they're doing an okay thing, it's not really my place to say anything.

Oh and I say farmers should just put netting under the ground around chicken coops to stop the foxes getting underneath.

p.s. I'm a vegetarian. All of you go veg too? please? :(

No offence to you and your choices. But vegatarianism is stupid for one reason. If everybody became vegetarian (even worse vegan) then there would be no cows in the first place. If you truly care about animals then just eat free range, organic meat.

I had an interesting conversation with someone once. We were talking about the UK's attitude to animal welfare and conservation and all that k-jazz and we got onto wolves being an (origianlly) indigenous species in the UK. I find it funny that people would be horrified is we re-introduced wolves, they would learn to repect wildlife again. And so I realised that conservation is rarely done for the right reasons. Usually its people settling their own conscience, thinking that they are doing well.

Nice one...

No offence to you and your choices. But vegatarianism is stupid for one reason. If everybody became vegetarian (even worse vegan) then there would be no cows in the first place. If you truly care about animals then just eat free range, organic meat.

No no, the logic behind it is you let all the cows that are alive right now live their lives happy untill they die of natural causes, then future generations don't have to be born to be eaten. Oh and cows are good for milk, obveously.

Anyway cows wander cities in India and don't they live wild in the Scottish highlands?

As a domesticated animal, people could still keep them as pets. Cows are awesome animals.

And chickens live in erm... my auntie has pet chickens!

Disclaimer- I don't hate meat eaters or anything and I'm not actually trying to force vegetarianism on anyone... PETA PETA PETA *ahem*

No. It's not natural.

Nor is playing computer games, but it's still fun and it works. :)

Y'see Domo Kun has illustrated why i didn't really wanna get involved. He thinks that killing anything is wrong period. His views and opinions are fine but they are not based on anything factual and neither is the opinion people like me who are ok with killing.

This is what the debate boils down to: Can you justify killing something and if so at what level and in what circumstance? It's all completely intellectual and leads to very circular arguements.

I had an interesting conversation with someone once. We were talking about the UK's attitude to animal welfare and conservation and all that k-jazz and we got onto wolves being an (origianlly) indigenous species in the UK. I find it funny that people would be horrified is we re-introduced wolves, they would learn to repect wildlife again. And so I realised that conservation is rarely done for the right reasons. Usually its people settling their own conscience, thinking that they are doing well.

Disney made people scared of wolves and view them as evil.

Y'see Domo Kun has illustrated why i didn't really wanna get involved. He thinks that killing anything is wrong period. His views and opinions are fine but they are not based on anything factual and neither is the opinion people like me who are ok with killing.

This is what the debate boils down to: Can you justify killing something and if so at what level and in what circumstance? It's all completely intellectual and leads to very circular arguements.

Good point. That is essentially what my opinions are based on. But there's nothing wrong with having circular arguements if you learn interesting things from the other peoples' camps along the way, right? For example, today I learnt that fox hunting isn't universally associated with the upper classes, and I (I belive very valuably), had you deconstruct my arguement to allow me to understand what I'm actually thinking subconciously. Although I suppose I knew it on a subconcious level, find it very very interesting that essentially all I'm saying is that I don't like killing.

It's also just interesting to know what people think.

I do agree though, if people are getting angry at each other then there isn't really much point on arguing about it, no one can really change others' opinions easily.

You don't think there are more efficient way than hundreds of daftly dressed rahs on horseback trampling over people's land with a pack of dogs chasing a single fox for miles and then ripping it to bits? If it's for pest control how come some of them have been caught deliberately releasing foxes from cages to chase after?

Creating employment is an absurd reason, you might as well hire some people to dig holes and others to fill them in. They can get a job which is actually needed like genuine pest control without the absurdity.