NEurope
navarre

Unpopular, hated tosspot comes back

In a new audio message purportedly from Osama Bin Laden, the al-Qaeda leader threatens the EU over the re-printing of a cartoon offensive to Muslims.

The voice on it says the cartoon, re-published recently in all major Danish newspapers, was part of a crusade involving Pope Benedict XVI.

The drawing, first published in 2005, depicts the Prophet Muhammad with a bomb in his turban.

The voice on the audio has not yet been verified as belonging to Bin Laden.

The message comes on the fifth anniversary of the US-led invasion of Iraq.

But the BBC's Jonathan Beale in Washington says that the message was probably released to not to mark that anniversary, but rather the anniversary of the birth of Prophet Muhammad, which Sunni Muslims mark on Thursday.

It appeared on a Islamist website that has carried al-Qaeda messages in the past.

Over the audio is a graphic with a still image of Bin Laden holding an AK-47 and bearing the logo of al-Sahab, the media wing of al-Qaeda. There is a written translation of the message in English.

'Crowd pleaser'

John Pike, director of the defence think tank GlobalSecurity.org, said bin Laden had chosen to talk about the cartoon in an effort to remain relevant and provide direction to followers.

"His judgement is that it's a consistent crowd-pleaser, and that if he has any hope of getting people stirred up, this is probably a good way to try to do it."

Last month, Denmark's leading newspapers reprinted one of 12 cartoons that first angered many Muslims when they were originally published in September 2005.

Anger in the Muslim world peaked in 2006 as newspapers in other countries published the cartoons.

If there is no check on the freedom of your words, then let your hearts be open to the freedom of our actions

Words attributed to Osama bin Laden

What the cartoons show

Some of the protests turned violent and led to the torching of Danish diplomatic offices in Damascus and Beirut and dozens of deaths in Nigeria, Libya and Pakistan.

The Danish newspapers decided to republish the most controversial drawing after Danish intelligence said it had uncovered a plot to kill the cartoonist.

The re-printed drawing shows the Prophet Muhammad with a bomb in his turban. Islamic law forbids any representation of the Prophet.

The message attributed to bin Laden says the attacks of Europeans on women and children "paled [in comparison] when you went overboard in your unbelief and... went to the extent of publishing these insulting drawings.

"This is the greatest misfortune and the most dangerous," the voice says.

"If there is no check on the freedom of your words, then let your hearts be open to the freedom of our actions".

It is not clear when the message was recorded. The last audio message attributed to Bin Laden appeared in November but he has not been seen on video since October 2004.

He is believed to be in hiding on the rugged border area between Pakistan and Afghanistan.

From the BBC. So, that guy who killed quite a few people is now threatening the EU, an organisation with the most powerful and greatest spy services in the world? Is there no end to his (sorry, its) idiocy?

And what infuriates me is that Muslims expect Islamic law to apply to the west. We can speak freely however much we like in our own nations, thank you Mr Tosspot.

Bin Laden should really get himself a broadband connection, his 56k connection is three years behind.

Bin Laden should really get himself a broadband connection, his 56k connection is three years behind.

You do realise this is recent as in 'today'? he did it to mark Muhammed's birthday.

he was talking about the whole 'danish cartoon' thing.

Yeah, sorry, I realise now. He's becoming somewhat of a Youtube legend. What next? A 'Leave Muhammed alone' video?

Yeah, sorry, I realise now. He's becoming somewhat of a Youtube legend. What next? A 'Leave Muhammed alone' video?

Haha, that would be awesome!

This is probably fake though, he dissapears for ages and then suddenly rambles on about a danish cartoon? Yeah.

It's against Islamic law to portray Muhammad in an image - so what? It's against humanist principles to ban people from doing stuff harmless to others (you know, like go out unaccompanied by a man whilst female, or drink alcohol), and yet humanists haven't "declared war" on the Middle East.

Bin Laden should be informed that a majority of Danes are anything but Catholic. For the most part, they probably think the Pope is a bit of a knob, being protestant and heathens, mainly.

Last but not least, if he insists that the war in Afghanistan is "evil", and yet wants to declare war on Denmark, someone needs to suggest to him the the west sees harbouring known criminals (specifically mass-murderers) is seen as at least as bad as Islam sees drawing a cartoon of Muhammad. If they don't want the West to fuck with their business, his funders, Saudi Arabia, should stop fucking with basic human rights (like said going out alone or drinking, or funding terrorism).

I have a theory that he's doing all this to make himself look tough and manly, as he's got a really, really small penis. :indeed:

It's against Islamic law to portray Muhammad in an image - so what? It's against humanist principles to ban people from doing stuff harmless to others (you know, like go out unaccompanied by a man whilst female, or drink alcohol), and yet humanists haven't "declared war" on the Middle East.

Bin Laden should be informed that a majority of Danes are anything but Catholic. For the most part, they probably think the Pope is a bit of a knob, being protestant and heathens, mainly.

Last but not least, if he insists that the war in Afghanistan is "evil", and yet wants to declare war on Denmark, someone needs to suggest to him the the west sees harbouring known criminals (specifically mass-murderers) is seen as at least as bad as Islam sees drawing a cartoon of Muhammad. If they don't want the West to fuck with their business, his funders, Saudi Arabia, should stop fucking with basic human rights (like said going out alone or drinking, or funding terrorism).

I have a theory that he's doing all this to make himself look tough and manly, as he's got a really, really small penis. :indeed:

Thats my point- the West doesn't abide by Islamic law. If he were to go and disrespect Christianity and Jesus in some way, you can be rest assured that we wouldn't be fighting for possesion of bombs to kill him. And QFT about the small willie part.

well, i think that if i want to draw mohamed riding a motorbike with a a shot gun in one had, and a glowing red eye with the words "turbinator" beneath i should be alowed too.

its a cartoon. is islam that weak.

well, i think that if i want to draw mohamed riding a motorbike with a a shot gun in one had, and a glowing red eye with the words "turbinator" beneath i should be alowed too.

Do it, what's the worse that can happen?

its a cartoon. is islam that weak.

Ha ha, Anyway Re 'Its a cartoon' It seems groups within it are that imiture. Not sure the of numbers with this mentality but I do know of course know there are plenty of reasonable muslims - I have a friend who happens to be muslim at work.

(What you said) Completely right as far as im concerned.

Do it, what's the worse that can happen?

I'll wait till i get my own car, hate the idea of a bus full of innocent people getting caught in the crossfire of people who can't take a joke.

I opened this thread expecting it to be about Lenny Henry...

Yes....But the more religious you are, the more easily brainwashed you are by your own kind, however illogical.

It's against Islamic law to portray Muhammad in an image - so what?

Sorry Fish, I can't agree with you here. Just because it's called Islamic Law and the West doesn't follow that law system doesn't mean that we shouldn't respect the philosophy that Muslims live by. In this case though, it is stupid beacuse these cartoons were not drawn by Muslims...

It's against humanist principles to ban people from doing stuff harmless to others (you know, like go out unaccompanied by a man whilst female, or drink alcohol), and yet humanists haven't "declared war" on the Middle East.

This arguement really annoys me. People in Saudi want to live there, they agree to the laws of the country just like you do by living here. You obviously hate the fact that they "do that to their people" but you have no right to make any judgement on how they live their lives.

They just have different life philosophies to you. You can't just say that it's wrong because its different.

I thought this was about the return of a banned member...

I'm not even sure Osama's still alive, it's probably just copycats or pre-recorded messages.

It's against Islamic law to portray Muhammad in an image - so what?

Sorry Fish, I can't agree with you here. Just because it's called Islamic Law and the West doesn't follow that law system doesn't mean that we shouldn't respect the philosophy that Muslims live by. In this case though, it is stupid beacuse these cartoons were not drawn by Muslims...

Yes as far as im concerned not my faith not my problem, I respect anyones right to follow any faith they wish but of course I also respect anyone not to and that includes people who live in majority Muslim countries. As far as im concerned Religition in general has been given ideas above its station. Faith should be a personal thing.

This arguement really annoys me. People in Saudi want to live there, they agree to the laws of the country just like you do by living here. You obviously hate the fact that they "do that to their people" but you have no right to make any judgement on how they live their lives.

They just have different life philosophies to you. You can't just say that it's wrong because its different.

I never said that I thought it was "wrong".

However, I reserve the right to say that I think having to abide strict rules for being in public just because you were born without a penis is fucking stupid, not to mention misogynistic and totally fucking pointless.

Every Saudi I know prefers being pretty much anywhere else, and that included men. In fact, yesterday, a Saudi (male) boarder in my tutor base at college said he wasn't going back to Malaysia this holiday, but to Saudi Arabia, and as such was really, really pissed off. You can do practically nothing.

I, however, don't abide by laws I disagree with. Fortunately, this country is very liberal, so my illegal activities are limited to acquiring software off the internet at no cost and riding my bicycle on the pavement.

Yes he does you might not agree with his conclustion (and fair enough) but he has every right to form an opinion on any thing given the infomation he has and change it at any time.