N-Europe

Starwars

Starwarsbannerstarrycopy.jpg

Props to Moogleviper for the banner! (looks better than GTs!!)

Long long ago, in a galaxy far, far away a trilogy of films was born. It wasn't long until the success of these films poured over into the video game industry as many spin offs and games detailing the "expanded universe" began appearing. Many of these games have been terrible, some decent and only a select few have broken the mould to be remembered as true classics...

Gametrailers are at it again with a new series of retrospectives, this time looking at the games the Starwars franchise has spawned over the years. I've played plenty of Starwars games from stuff like the Rogue Squadrons, Podracer, Shadows of the Empire to the Snes ones to Starwars Arcade and plenty of others. This should be a good trip down memory lane and we'll maybe see a few games that we had never heard of!

Episode I

- The Arcade shooters and Atari beginnings of far, far away.

Episode II

- The games that brought you each original chapter from start to finish.

Episode III

- The games that started the saga - Menace, Clones, and Sith.

Episode IV

- X-Wing, TIE Fighter, and Alliance; the dogfights that drove the conflict forward.

Episode V

- Rebellion, Force Commander, Galactic Battlegrounds, Empire at War, and Battlefront.

Episode VI

- Dark Forces, Jedi Knight, Mysteries of the Sith, Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy.

Episode VII

- Shadows of the Empire and Knights of the Old Republic I & II

Episode VIII

- The online saga brings the massive trials and turmoils of a divided galactic empire.

Episode IX

- The flight and fight operations of Rebel Assault and Rogue Squadron.

Episode X

- The circle is now complete - the Force will be with you, always.

It's just a shame we have to wait two weeks for the next one.

Its is a shame. Not sure if you watched the FF ones before, but they started out being weekly, then it became impossible for the guy that does them to get them done in that timeframe. He must have learned from that.

• 2 weeks later...
A bit disappointed that the N64 Star wars: Shadows of the Empire didn´t get a mention in this bit

That's because it'll get a mention when they do the ones that are their own stories (with the likes of Rogue Squadron and Jedi Knight).

Another good retrospective episode.

That's because it'll get a mention when they do the ones that are their own stories (with the likes of Rogue Squadron and Jedi Knight).

Another good retrospective episode.

Alrighty, didn´t know there would be one.

• 4 weeks later...

I've recently bought the entire Star Wars trilogy on SNES. Hard as diamond, but still one of the best SW-games outthere! My favourite is still SW: Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader. Wasn't a big fan of Rebel Strike, though.

Ah, I remember the days of Shadow of the Empire. Was one of my first N64-games, the other being, ofcourse, Super Mario 64. It wasn't bad (the first and last lever really were the highlights), but it has aged very badly.

Anyhoo, this retrospective begun at just the right time: the day I went to the Star Wars Exposition. :wink:

Shadows of the Empire was... alright. I got it too because there was no Mario 64 the day I got my N64. The first level is definitely the best and the final level at the Skyhook (right?) was good, but not as good as Hoth.

Episode three is up, linkage in the opening post.

I really liked Shadows Of The Empire but it has aged terribly in all honesty, it was the first N64 game I ever played and I have fond memories of being in the last year of primary school and visiting my older brother at uni and he has just got a 64 :)

Episode four was a bit of a snore. I feel that all that info about those games could have been fitted in aswell as having a look at other things.

What was that level called in Sote? I remember it but I can't think of its name- IG88 was the boss at the end of it, right?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Episode V in the retrospective up now. Looks like they have got back to these after closing out the Metal Gear series of retrospectives. This part focuses on the RTS games and Battlefront. I've never played any of the RTS ones but I have played both Battlefronts and, honestly, I didn't rate them. I didn't like how they played and thought they felt pretty clumsy and depthless... and I had no idea that they were meant to be great games, lol. Woops.

I linked to Episode V in the opening post, so scroll up and get watchin!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Captain Falcon

I been waiting for this one since the retrospective began.

Jedi Knight was the very first PC game I got. I remember going to Game cos I had a £5 discount voucher. I've still got the box with all inserts as well as the receipt in near mint condition.

That opening scene completely flawed me with live actors fighting GC ones.

A friend of mine got Half life around the same time but when I played it, it didn't come close to JK or MotS.

Jedi Outcast though is definitely the best Star Wars game ever. The first has super nostalgia for me but I have played it in a while and I don't want to go back and tarnish the memory. JO has better implementation of the force powers even if the level design isn't quite as strong (still brilliant though) and works it into the game better overall. It does have a slow start mind.

Jedi Academy also happens to be the last PC game I bought.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Captain Falcon

Since no one's posted it, here's episode 7 featuring SotE and KotOR 1 & 2.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/37296.html

The thing that gets me about SotE is that everyone bangs on about how good level 1 (Hoth in the Snowspeeder) was but completely forget to mention level 10 against the Skyhook. For me, that was easily the best level. Having to fly into it from all the different entry points and destroy it was epic.

Given that the original premise for Rogue Squadron was a game comprised only of levels like the Hoth one, it's funny how it's sequels tend to rely more on the Skyhook level design of full 3D movement in outer space.

Thanks, I hadn't noticed the new episode of this was up. :)

I think the difference between Hoth and the Skyhook in Sote is that Hoth is faster paced and more varied... plus its a snow level. The Skyhook was boring with that "destroy fifty enemies" or however many it was section which was pretty tedious, whereas Hoth was split up into bite sized chunks of greatness.