N-Europe

What do directors have against Scarlett Johansson?

ReZourceman

Neither, thank you very much.

I watched it all the way through and felt like I had wasted my precious time, which I could've spent on more interesting and productive things. The film was boring and did nothing for me.

Ok... so am I to assume you did not understand what the movie set out to do?

Because unless you didn't get it, I see no reason to call it a waste or boring... And to say it isn't interesting, that's like denying existence. Maybe you didn't understand it, but let's not start throwing false accusations around. :heh:

I'm going to interpret it as "100% fucking boring". To be honest I surprised myself by making myself watching more, fooling myself in the hope that something interesting might happen.

What do you expect me to say to that? A movie wich actually has something to say, for a change, is 100% boring, in your book?

Maybe "short attention span" was wrong.

Ok... so am I to assume you did not understand what the movie set out to do?

Because unless you didn't get it, I see no reason to call it a waste or boring... And to say it isn't interesting, that's like denying existence. Maybe you didn't understand it, but let's not start throwing false accusations around. :heh:

What do you expect me to say to that? A movie wich actually has something to say, for a change, is 100% boring, in your book?

Maybe "short attention span" was wrong.

I do think I know what it's about: feeling lost in the way your life is going, your future, lost in a city where you don't know the language and culture. Forming a friendship with someone who is in the same boat as you, a friendship bordering on a romance. It's about the culture shock, the difference between the US (or West) and Japan. And more of that stuff.

I get what the movie is trying to say, but I just didn't like it. I was watching it on a tiny tv, sitting on a very uncomfortable chair, hoping for it to end soon so I could go to bed or work for school (I was "forced" to watch it by a friend and her boyfriend).

Also again, I felt this movie was overrated, though I knew before watching it that I probably wouldn't like it much anyway.

*shrugs*

It's a shame that you people don't like it. For me it's a very beautiful film and I think that the acting is perfect because it is understated. They are such an unlikely pair and I love how they play in the grey area between friends and more.

Must admit that I share Oxigen's view though, I find it hard to understand how you didn't enjoy it but if you didn't, you didn't. And that line about "nothing happens" is crap, plenty happens between the characters emotionally and in the sub-text. The film deals with so many subjects all at once! Action/thriller flicks may be more your bag Murray.

I remember trying to watch it on the plane to/from NY, and I managed to fall asleep a grand total of 3 times whilst trying to watch it, on 3 seperate occasions! I gotta say, that didn't bode well for it for me, but I finally saw it back in the UK, and while I'm not saying it isn't good or well made, it just wasnt really for me at the time. I think you need to be in a certain kind of mood or place when you see it.

I do think I know what it's about: feeling lost in the way your life is going, your future, lost in a city where you don't know the language and culture. Forming a friendship with someone who is in the same boat as you, a friendship bordering on a romance. It's about the culture shock, the difference between the US (or West) and Japan. And more of that stuff.

I get what the movie is trying to say, but I just didn't like it. I was watching it on a tiny tv, sitting on a very uncomfortable chair, hoping for it to end soon so I could go to bed or work for school (I was "forced" to watch it by a friend and her boyfriend).

Also again, I felt this movie was overrated, though I knew before watching it that I probably wouldn't like it much anyway.

*shrugs*

Of course I respect your feelings toward it, but... seriously, the movie illustrates human affection like no other thing has ever done. I just get baffled by how much it manages to say, without saying much. :heart:

I was thinking either a "Ok" or "Fair enough".

:bowdown: Eh eh... :D