NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
dwarf

It's the Little Things in Games

From your Wii experiences so far, what little detail / moment of brilliance / experience has made you remember why a game is great. It could just be something like Falcon Punch, or it could be a great gaming session that made you laugh/got your adrenaline going. (I'll accept a few other game console suggestions as well.)

So take note that any suggestions don't have to be about Wii controls

For example I have just been playing Umbrella Chronicles, I was just about to get murked by the Tyrant guy on hard when I cracked a Magnem Revolver level 4 between his eyes. Awesome.

There's much better ones I'll post in a minute but this is just from recent memory.

Basicly, the end of Zelda: Twilight Princess

And the whole game of Metroid Prime (but now im on the boring journey to find all the Energy Cell's, who are runing my experience :'( )

Basicly, the end of Zelda: Twilight Princess

And the whole game of Metroid Prime (but now im on the boring journey to find all the Energy Cell's, who are runing my experience :'( )

The energy cells are actually very easy to find and no where near as annoying as the sky temple keys in Echoes. However, if you didn't know already you can check on the main menu in-game which shows what cells you need and they have hints. Also the one you'll probably be stuck on:

There's a bomb thing that you can pick up with your ship in the same area where you blow up the gun turret (the one where you have to grapple beam the switches). Do that and then return to the room where you 'rescue' the big gold ogre thing by setting alight his bindings. Then place the bomb thing at the top of that place and follow the path round to the energy cell.

Anyway, I thought that bit where Saria's Song is played in TP was brilliant, and just after is that awesome dungeon and the temple of time music.

I was just about to get murked by the Tyrant guy on hard when I cracked a Magnem Revolver level 4 between his eyes. Awesome.

Reminds of my fight against the last boss in RE: Code Veronica (I don't remember who the boss was). I ran out of ammunition, but I was full of first aid kits and herbs. So I just took the knife and slashed like mad, and used a kit\herb when my life was close to red. Since I'm writing this here, you can already imagine it had an epic ending: he died just when he was about to kill me, my life bar was red and I had no herbs\kits left. That was pure joy!

As for the Wii, it was playing "Wii Sports" with my girlfriend over and over and watching her smile during the entire game.

Watching my niece and nephew play the dance level on Warioware Smooth Moves. The smiles on their faces nearly bought tears to my eyes. As short as that game is I think it's pure brilliance in terms of fun factor. No other game as managed to make my friends and family laugh so much. The speed at which stuff happens in that game makes me feel happy and alive.

To me the little things in games that make them stand above most games are the things we don't notice.

It's that extra mile, that extra polish that makes other games feel amateur-ish in comparison. And that my friends, is why I like Nintendo.

The first time I was attacked by the chainsaw guy in Resident Evil 4. I was in hysterics for about 5 minutes afterwards.

Best moment had to be when I put the Super Mario Galaxy disc into my Wii and heard Mario jubilantly cry "SUPER. MARIO. GALAXY!!!" I was almost in tears, and then I started playing the game and the excitement stayed with me for literally an hour.

The moment in OOT when you become adult link.

When you make a lot of progress quickly in a metroid game.

The first time you ever play mario galaxy.

good question!

i love it in any advance wars when you suddeny turn the tide, enemy defences left in ruins.

metroid prime 3 had some great moments, opening doors by hand sticks out.

oh, and bits of heatseeker were godly, especialy when you get a great kill.

Good topic! Probably first time chainsaw man got me in Resi 4. Got me from behind too! Totally didn't know he was there!

Actually this topic is made for the Metal Gear series. Probably the time when I was sneaking up on a guy in Metal Gear Twin Snakes and then I sneezed!

To me the little things in games that make them stand above most games are the things we don't notice.

It's that extra mile, that extra polish that makes other games feel amateur-ish in comparison. And that my friends, is why I like Nintendo.

This man has hit it on the head.

I've got numerous moments from games, all Nintendo ones. Darunia pranging out to Saria's Song, a few other moments in the OoT story, MM's little bits here and there, chainsaw man in resi scared me shitless, I was just in shock like 'wtf! the game can't do that! wtf....WTF!'. The opening sequence to mario 64. Opening of Galaxy. Honestly, too many to mention.

Wow, talking about the little things in games... I turned my DS on today and, as it's my birthday....well what a nice suprise! Music to my ears :) It does seem that Nintendo think of everything...Even if my Wii calously ignored my ageing!

Wow, talking about the little things in games... I turned my DS on today and, as it's my birthday....well what a nice suprise! Music to my ears :) It does seem that Nintendo think of everything...Even if my Wii calously ignored my ageing!

Happy birthday! :D

I don't think the chainsaw guy was half as bad as when you take the path on the left after fighting the illuminados at the house. Once you go that way and jump down from the bridge:

2 chainsaw wielding sisters run at you from a few yards away.

Also for Wii games, i think playing wii sports for the first time is fantastic. Loved that.

Also just loading TP into the Wii was immense.

Me and a friend had a 5 hour play session on Wii.

Boo in Mario strikers charged - score easy goals by turning invisible and then shooting tapping it in past the keeper.

OoT - Seeing the world after you have grown up....

OoT - Sneaking around in the first bit of the game to see the princess

OoT - Epona. Nuff said

Resi 1 PS1 - Dogs. Window. New Pants.

Mario 2 NES - Fighting Wart, first game i ever finished!

Alex The Kidd In Miricale World - First time on the bike! (First game i ever really played)

Uncharted Drakes Fortune - Made me go wow through most of the game!

I don't think the chainsaw guy was half as bad as when you take the path on the left after fighting the illuminados at the house. Once you go that way and jump down from the bridge:

2 chainsaw wielding sisters run at you from a few yards away.

Yeah, that's pretty intense. But it was just the sheer unexpected terror of having my head cut off for the first time. Fucking nuts.

Happy birthday Tapedeck! Were these threads you made this week your way of celebrating with us?

As for any little things in games, alot of classic moments have been mentioned already like the host of things in Zelda 64. Seeing Alex Kidd get a mention is well worth it too- that bike level... I remember it well.

I remember the day I was buying F-Zero X. I knew it was gonna be classic and I had it reserved. Due to not having Internet (or maybe not knowing of any good game sites to watch vids on back then) I was amazed when I saw it in motion for the first time on the TVs in Game. This lad I was with who wasn't interested in it up until that point... well his jaw hit the floor. He wanted to come and play it that night but I said it would have to wait til the day after, maybe. :laughing:

But yeah, when I got it home that evening and got playing it, there were goose pimples aplenty on my first race in Mute City 1. Fantastico.

Another great moment- the first time I put in the MERRY cheat in DKC 3 and went to a bonus room. Amazing. :santa:

First of all: :yay::bowdown:Congratulations, Tapedeck :bowdown::yay:

Second, little thing in games are my favourite, but I'm not remembering any right now, except:

-When I turned into Super Sonic the first time. I always was a fan of DBZ, so my jaw dropped for a while.

-Finding all the secret "sweets" in Kirby's Dreamland 2.

-In OoT, seeing all the Zombies in the market.

-Pokémon Blue. Most of the things I liked about that game were little things.

In fact one of the big contenders for the little things in game is Paper Mario (all). Some of the expressions and dialogue was immense.

In fact one of the big contenders for the little things in game is Paper Mario (all). Some of the expressions and dialogue was immense.

D'oh! Of course! The facial expressions in Wind Waker, and the behaviour of several characters in the M&L RPG games are fantastic.

Ah crap I missed Tapedeck's bd?! Happy returns anyway matey!

Best gaming moment in general? Playing OOT for the first time, cliched but true. Such a huge immersive world in 3 dimensions. Also picking up the cart out of the box and thinking "Christ this is HEAVY!"

Adrenaline moment (PC unfortunately): Condemned. Can't explain to you quite how this game makes you feel. I have never felt so vunerable or agressed anything like how this game made me feel. You come off with so much adrenaline in your veins that you feel like you have actually just been in a real fight.

And to top it off: Beating my brother at any game. He was a wanker when we were little. Beating my 5yr elder was the bomb.

Oh, another personal favourite.

Kirby having an aquatic hat whenever he goes into the water. :heh:

:smile: Cheers for the birthday messages guys :smile:

...Just come back to reality!

Lol I just had an immense monkey ball session! Everybody I was playing were quality, everyone had 3 bannanas on fight and I kicked ass on the final round.

FTW

wii specifically??

the end of zelda tp O__o that fight took me aaaaaages ~ i was SO nearly dead, then finally - FINALLY i beat him >___> i literally raised my arms above my head in victory - then fell back onto my bed. *sigh* awesomeeee~

also...

twilight princess was the first game i ever COMPLETED. o_____o i kid you not. jamba nagged me for what must have been months to complete it - and i'm soooooo glad i finally did!

:yay:

:heart:

ooh, and every single second of mario galaxy i've played...

and half-dozing off while playing endless ocean.. ^_____^ ZZzzzz..

Sign in to follow this