NEurope
Twozzok

Universities and shizzle.

Down on Lambert near Piper actually. S'where you wanna be after 1st year man!

(you didn't happen to see A Streetcar Named Desire at the lawns recently did you? I know the drama society pretty well)

Hehe, I'm on Lambert next year. Down the other end though. No I didn't catch it though I do know a few people who do drama.

You going to the end of year ball?

naturally. my last one, dude!

yeah i'm at the far end of lambert. s'alright though. only takes 15 mins to get to campus (if you really, really need to be there!)

The Loans aren't really for you guys considering doing funky financial things with them. They're for people who wouldn't be able to go if it weren't for loans.

I;m starting to wonder if I'll even get into uni at all.

I'm thinking if I can't get the points I need (I need 68 and I'm pushing about low 60) how will that effect me? obviously it'll make it harder to get in, but how do I get in if I fuck everything up end of next week?

**** me yesterday was hectic. Had 3 assignments in, wedged in between two night shifts at work.

I am now shattered and gonna get some sleep before the FA Cup Final. Just my exams later in the month and second year is done.

@ Fresh and DD, I shall be heading to the ball this year. Look for the guy in crutches and a leg cast ;)

I'm on Exmouth, parallel to Newland.

I;m starting to wonder if I'll even get into uni at all.

I'm thinking if I can't get the points I need (I need 68 and I'm pushing about low 60) how will that effect me? obviously it'll make it harder to get in, but how do I get in if I fuck everything up end of next week?

I think it's pretty normal to be freaking out about uni around this time. What'll happen is you'll calm down for a few months, then when August rolls around you'll start freaking out as results day approaches.

On results day, if you fucked everything up, you still might get in. If there's no confirmation on UCAS then call the uni and start begging and explaining and excusing yourself, and they might let you in. If they still think you're a fuckup then... clearing!

No you don't understand, I don't do exams..

So I basically find out if I've got enough results on friday I think, so I'll know then, I'm asking on monday.

Eurgh I really don't want to go into clearing. It'd probably have been easier if I'd done exams tbh =[

ah, sorry, I'm a fool. Well in that case, I haven't a clue :) Best of luck getting into hallam/manchester, i forget which one.

Hallam, thankyou, it's just such a struggle, I'm slightly confused if I have to get everything done friday because it seems odd they'd put us on work experince two weeks before the deadline..hmmf unsure.com

no, you're unsure.edu.co.uk. Ok, bad joke.

So do you find out if you're accepted into uni on friday too, then? yay for Hallam!

I'm not sure, all I'm getting this off is a spreadsheet on the students shared area, which is why I'm going to hunt down a tutor on monday and ask wtf is going on, because hardly anybody seems to be coming in and panicking like i do 0.o?

@ Fresh and DD, I shall be heading to the ball this year. Look for the guy in crutches and a leg cast ;)

I'm on Exmouth, parallel to Newland.

Awesome-o. I'll keep an eye out. What happened to your leg?

Piper has gave me the worst hangover ever....

pwnd!

£1 pint job? Oh, the brutality...

Fractured my tibia.. ouch.

Piper has left me with the most awful of hangovers possible on Tuesday mornings...

Worst I've ever had have both been after gigs where me and my housemates have been hammered. Another was after my mates birthday recenly. two of those 3 hangovers have been at his house, and it's the only state his parents have ever seen me in. Awesome.

Wait, so in the UK you don't even know yet if you will be able to go to your university? Someone mentioned something about results coming in August. When do you find out and when do you have to decide where you're going? Or is there some sort of hierarchy you've already chosen for universities?

In the US the latest schools notify students of their acceptances (accepted, waitlisted, or denied) online on around April 1st (application deadline at the end of December) and the national deadline to decide is May 1st, so I'm interested in how different this system seems.

Well when you first apply to uni here they reply either with an offer or a flat-out rejection. Usually the offer will demand a certain set of results and/or otehr criteria (like having to get a pretty high grade in english in order to do english at uni, for instance).

Those kind of offers are called conditional offers, but sometimes they can give you unconditional which means you're in regardless of your grades. Only the smartest people get that.

The students are required to apply before mid-january, and can apply to (I think) six universities. Universities are expected to reply before the exams even start. Often the unis will then send prospectus..es? Prospecti? and details about fees and accomodation. The students then have to decide which university is the firm choice (where if tehy get the grades, they HAVE to go to that uni) and which is the secondary, insurance option.

Yeah, results come in around mid-august, and the universities get them maybe the day before? So they accept those who got the grades for the conditional offers and the students find out online and/or at school when they go in to collect their results.

Then there's either celebration, begging to unis or 'clearing'.

Aha I finally found out today what the heck is going on:

All my assignments need to be on my student tracker (it's basically a website that is accessed by everyone in college telling you your marks and stuff) first time round.

If by any chance I have stuff missing (I need like 3/4 blocks or whatever to make a pass/merit/distinction..it's all abit strange) then I can go back and do them and I have til the 23rd june.

So basically I have til the 23rd june to get everything up to scratch, which hopefully means I should get 68 points because I'll have more time.

Then they'll send off my points and my key skills and I should get notified roughly the same as the a level students, possibly abit earlier.

Hopefully, I'll hear back from student accomdation soon, any idea how long it takes to receieve notification by post? I sent it off last week so I'm hoping to hear back in the next two weeks. Jayseven I applied to the exchange works, it looks really good and my ex recommended it, any info on it :S?

Those kind of offers are called conditional offers, but sometimes they can give you unconditional which means you're in regardless of your grades. Only the smartest people get that.

Scotland's the same as that but as we do our Highers before applying to uni quite a few people actually get unconditionals. I got an unconditional to 2 of my 6 choices, rejected from 1 and conditional from 3. Turns out 2 of those 3 were a complete waste of an application because once you get there it doesn't matter what you applied for as it's all the same department and you can do any subject.

I got a conditional for 3 Bs for Strathclyde, only actually got 2 Bs but they still gave me a place. :)

nightwolf;

Exchange works is pricey, but you get a lot of bang for your buck. It's practically within sight of the city campus, too. I'm not sure if I know anyone who lives there but it's one of the preferred places for students to live, I'm sure.

There's a fair amount of building work going on around/on that building, I think, but that area's meant to be done in time for uni to start, I think.

Yeah it's cheaper than the trigon though 5grand..0.o dear lord, which mum went ''oh we'll apply anyway, just don't ask for a studio'' haha! Ah thankyou, I'm not too worried about noise because I'm living in halls anyway so it's going to be noisy, at 3grand it's quite cheap (something daft like 3.2k and then 350 fuel bond).

Are fuel bonds termly or yearly? My mum says yearly, but I just want to make sure...