N-Europe

In need of a good Broadband Provider

Oli1983uk

I am moving into a new house soon and I am looking at new providers, I will be having sky installed so was thinking of taking out all 3 services with them TV, Phone and interent for £50 a month.

Sky mid package gives me upto 8mb service and 40gb download limit. I download quite a few songs and maybe a movie once a month, I will also be going online with my wii and xbox 360. Also will have 2 other computers connected. I am not sure if 40gb a month will be enough.

Also has anyone got or used sky for internet, or what provider would you suggest? I am not looking for anything that really fast as the phone lines around by me can only support upto 4mb.

...I am not looking for anything that fast as the phone lines around by me can only support upto 4mb.

How do you know what speeds your local lines can support? AOL are always telling me bullshit about 2mb being the best I can get yet my neighbour gets 8mb no problem. I'm thinking about changing to that BE THERE one as they have an exchange 3k up the road.

But yeah, how or where do you find out what your line can support? Or is it just a case of "trusting" your provider. (As if I could ever do that)

I had Sky put in while I was living with my parents for a few months and had the TV/Phone/Net package. By all accounts it seemed pretty damn good. Its pretty cheap because of having everything with them and the quality was always fine for me. Worked great with Live/PSN/Wii and never capped me while I was downloading a load of TV shows over it. From my personal experience I'd say its well worth it, as with most providers though, for everyone thats had a good experience people will have had a bad one.

I'm with Plusnet, and they provide an excellent service. They're ideal for online gamers as they prioritise game traffic. Silky smooth latency all the way. Never yet had to use customer support. On the basic £15 package I'm on, the download speeds are OK but not spectacular, but I suspect that downloading will be faster on their other packages. If you go over your monthly download limit you can add additional GBs when you need them.

Care to explain your views? I have been with AOL for some years now and never had any problems with them.

Okay, heres my gripes.

There were the first company to my knowledge to use RDSL.

Ratio DSL, if more people are online on their servers your download speed plummets. This is happening more and more due to bandwidth issues/more users online however across more ISP's.

The Netscape browser. Dear god, that thing is clunky. It renders web pages slower than my mobile phone's opera browser and it compresses images so that they "run faster." Not to mention the AOL homepage is cluttered with ads even though you PAY for the use of the service.

Their customer service (in my experience) are utter tripe. Then again that goes across the board for most companies.

I could go on..?

After some online scouting I apparently have a 'bethere' enabled exchange 3k away from me...So I talked to AOL about cancelling my subscriptoin with them. Bethere broadband will offer me "upto" 24meg for £18 per month. I currently pay £17.99 for 2mb with AOL. Tbh I dont expect to get 24mb at all. But near enough would be nice. It's probably doubtful. But I expect over 2mb at least.

AOL said my phoneline cannot support anything over 2mb so paying £18 for "upto" 24 is silly. (My neighbour gets 8mb from Tiscali so I dont see how mine is only equipped to handle 2mb). Lies maybe?

Anyway, when i said I was definately leaving AOL they offered me my broadband for £9.99 a month, Which, for 2mb aint bad. And it's certainly a massive change from £17.99! However, with the terribly slow speeds i've been getting I said I would rather chance Bethere Broadband than spend any longer with them. They said it would take 3days for my MAC address to be sent out to me. Which I said was a bit long but they said that's the time it always takes. And here was me thinking it was just there infront of them.

Here's hoping Bethere Broadband is better. It's certainly about time I changed my ISP. I'll let you know how it goes.

But gawd, AOL are fuds.

Care to explain your views? I have been with AOL for some years now and never had any problems with them.

I would say similar, if it wasn't that I had, within the last 5 minutes, discovered why my internet is going slow. I'm about to make a thread, and you'll understand why I Want AOL Dead... :mad: