N-Europe

laptop + the sims 2

Most cheap laptops are simply not capable of running 3D games without serious problems.

You'll have to pay out of the nose to get something half decent.

Minimum specs for Sims 2:

Minimum

CDROM/DVDROM

CPU 800 MHz processor

Disk 3500

Other TnL capable video card

RAM 256

VRAM 32

Jordan's non-bull shit specs:

DVD Drive

CPU: Atleast 2ghz to get anything decent

Graphics card: No intergrated bull shit, something like a GeForce 6600 inbuilt will run fine.

Video memory: 128+

Ram: 512mb+

Actual decent laptop:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/126342

I said you'de be paying out the nose.

Laptops are STUPIDLY expensive if you want anything decent out of them.

Minimum specs are the bare-near unplayable minimum the game play on.

Laptop CPU's are not as powerful as Desktop's. Trust me, its needed.

MBAM: Thought I'd tell you that there's a special stripped down version of The Sims 2 avalible for laptops. It's called "The Sims Life Stories", and it includes both a sandbox and 2 storyline modes. The downsides are that it lacks a lot of the content found in later expansion packs, and no additional mods from The Sims 2 can be installed. But hey, the upsides are that it can look quite decent even on a somewhat lower spec laptop, and it automatically runs in windowed mode (without any slow-down), which means you can still surf the internet and use a IM program at the same time.

You don't need to pay £1500 on a Laptop to run The Sims...

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Asus_F3SC_Laptop_F3SC-AP115C/version.asp

That's my laptop and i play Rom's Half life and Counter strike on it and near top specs with no AA or AF.

I'm a little interested in this myself. Is this ok?

1.8 GHz

RAM 2GB 667 MHz

Graphic ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2400 - 128 MB

http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=337743

Costed me about 770 GBP.

About the game itself, do you have to hang out with friends every frakking day to get better jobs? I hated that part on the GC game.

To be honest, i had a very quick look. But these two look great.

Running something at the minimum specs just means it works, not that it works well.

Nothing gets past you, eagle-eye :wink:

I know, but even so I still think that the SIMS don't require that much. On the other hand, buying a laptop for just the sims is silly - you'de better get something better in case you want to play something else.

Maybe get a mac?

Haha, just kidding you guys. I know you freak out if I just mention it.

Now freak out! Once again bash the mac!

I'll just be quiet now.

Any laptop that doesn't have an ATI Xpress card or Intel integrated chip for its graphics will probably suffice.

Aye i would agree here, you don't need to spend anything more than about 800 imo. (and you could *probably* get away with less)

I know someone that bought a 600 pound laptop and has the sims2 running on it fine.

Basically look out for any laptop spec that has the words "Mobility Radeon" or "Geforce Go"

Specific model numbers are rather complicated. I put this up in another thread a while back so it's a little out of date:

8400.jpg

Thats a pretty good guide as to what card is better than what. Anything from a Mobility x1300 upwards will be enough, so thats everything from the 8th row upwards.

Post up here before you buy though. That table is very simplified, there's a few things to consider that it doesn't take in to account.

yousee.. i installed the sims 2 onto a laptop last night - and it works perfectly.. doesnt stutter and unlike that crappy destkop i had actually lets meplay it

i dont understand why a lot of you are saying to buy really expensive laptops when this one (about 400 pounds tops) can play it without fail...

.. oh ahd jasper.. id love to get a mac just they're a lil out of my price range :)

what about this one?

i was gonna get a dell but u all said i should stay away from intel graphics things...

like yu can probably guess i know nothing about cmputers so i need all the help i can get

Benefit

Processor Type AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-58

Processor speed (1.9GHz, 1600 MHz FSB, 1 MB Cache) mhz The higher the number of Megahertz (MHZ) the faster the processor should be

Memory Size 2GB MB

Memory Type DDR 2

Hard Drive Capacity 160 Gb The bigger the capacity the more you can store

Optical Drives DVD-SuperMulti Dual Layer

CD-ROM Speed 24 x Enabling access to CD ROM data. The higher the number the faster the speed

CD-RW Speed. READ 24X, WRITE 10X x Enabling you to access and store data on CD-RW disks. The higher the number the faster the speed

DVD-ROM Speed 8 x Enabling you access to data on DVD. The higher the number the faster the speed

DVD-RW Speed 4 x Enabling you to store data on DVD. The higher the number the faster the speed

Screen Size/Type 15.4"

Graphics Card Type ATI RADEON X1200 To enable images to be displayed on your monitor

Graphics Memory 319MB UBA MB The higher the memory the better quality images you are display

TV-out NO Allowing you to plug your laptop into a TV to watch DVDs

Sound Type 16 bit Stereo To enable you to have sound from your computer which is great for games, movies and music

Modem Type 56Kb Enabling communication with others via the telephone line. A modem is used for the Internet, e-mail and faxing

Wireless Enabled YES Allows you to connect to an existing wireless network such as in a office or a wireless hot spot

No. of USB Connections 4 The more connections the computer has the more equipment you can connect to your computer e.g. a modem, printer, scanner, digital camera, PDA

No. of Firewire Connections 1 High speed data transfer link for digital video and other media. Ideal for quickly downloading video images from a camcorder to PC

Other Interfaces WIFI 5 IN 1 CARD READER

Battery Type Lithium Ion

Software Titles Included Norton Int Security 2007

Operating system Genuine Windows Vista ® Home Premium Your software depends on the Operating System to make the computer functional. Look for Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium (or MAC OS X v10.5 Leopard on Apple Computers)

Weight 2.72 kg This is the weight of the appliance in KG

Height 267.8 mm

Width 362 mm

Depth 39.3 mm

Colour Onyx Blue/Silver

Right, well the sims 2 will NOT work with that card, apparently EA says it's not compatible.

--

You asked about my specs earlier, erm Well I've got a core 2 due 2.2Ghz, 8600M GT and 2gig ram, so it's easily playable on that.

I can try and make one on dell for you, if you give me a max price, I'll make the best one I can for play with sims 2 and then tell you the specs I set...or some place where you want to get it from intead? Though like it's been said, dell will mean the Intel card.

Right, well the sims 2 will NOT work with that card, apparently EA says it's not compatible.

--

You asked about my specs earlier, erm Well I've got a core 2 due 2.2Ghz, 8600M GT and 2gig ram, so it's easily playable on that.

I can try and make one on dell for you, if you give me a max price, I'll make the best one I can for play with sims 2 and then tell you the specs I set?

right - that would be cool

i dont really have a max price - just not something like 700 pounds :S..

500 maybe? or 600?

i think my dads helping me out with this computer so the price can go up if he is :D

but id rather it was cheaper - cheapskate i am

and yeh - iw ould prefere a dell as i have my dell desktop and i love it :D

--

I can try and make one on dell for you, if you give me a max price, I'll make the best one I can for play with sims 2 and then tell you the specs I set...or some place where you want to get it from intead? Though like it's been said, dell will mean the Intel card.

I looked through the help pages on the official page but I couldn't find anything about my card. I _think_ this is what it is called; ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2400

Will it work?

right - that would be cool

i dont really have a max price - just not something like 700 pounds :S..

500 maybe? or 600?

i think my dads helping me out with this computer so the price can go up if he is :D

but id rather it was cheaper - cheapskate i am

and yeh - iw ould prefere a dell as i have my dell desktop and i love it :D

A mac is just £100 more you know? It's not THAT much more expensive.

As you were . . .